Would black guy be ok to watch soccer outside of England

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Roscoe P Coldchain, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Roscoe P Coldchain

Sep 14, 2004
    Westside St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hey all I have a quick question...I am a 25 year old black dude from America. I am planning to go on a 14 or 21-day trip sometime next year to England, Scotland, France, Spain, Italy, Germany (and Belgium, Netherlands, Poland and Russia if I do 21 days). I want to get my fix of footie action also. I know that Arsenal has kicked blantant racism out of the stands for a long time, maybe longer than any major club team on the planet. England soccer matches I don't think would be a problem for me to go to but I am not familiar with the way black people are treated in the stands outside of England. I speak enough Espanol to hold a coversation and enough French to say what I need. I already know that I am NOT going to a Russian football game. Please help. What countries would be ok to consider to watch a football match in Europe outside of England? If I go to a Celtic match in Scotland would I be ok? ect. Any information would help...Thank ya now...Roscoe!

2. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i've never seen a single example of racism to fans in germany or netherlands - you may draw some stares in the odd small town, but nobody will blink at you in a hamburg or an amsterdam - i can't say for sure, but i would probably feel very uneasy going into eastern europe as a black man - i highly doubt in france it would evr be much of an issue at all

3. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    You should see no racsim at all in Scotland and England or Western European countries for that matter. I would imagine it's the same situation as in America. 99% of people won't even care what nationality or race you are, you'll get the odd idiot who probably is a racist but I've never seen a person be racially abused in Scotland in my life.

As bludaddy said, you might be a bit wary of Eatsern Europe as a black man, then again, I'd be waru of Eastern Europe as a white man.;)

In most European countires, race is not an issue in the stands or in the streets. That's my opinion anyway.

4. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    generally agree with all above.
    feel free to correct me if i'm wrong but haven't some italian clubs still had some problems quite recently?

5. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    It hurts to admit but if I was you I wouldn't visit a football match in eastern Germany exept for Berlin.

6. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It wasn't the Italian fans that had problems, it was Sinisa Mihaijlovic a couple of years ago that called Patrick Vieria a gorilla and asked him where his banana is. If you go to Italy and stay above Rome, it will be fine.

7. CrisRicHeldTiago

CrisRicHeldTiago New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    I think it's pretty safe for any person of african decent to travel and live anywhere, especially North America and Western Europe, and probably the world. How can that not be the case. When we see successful blacks, on our television or monitor screens, hear about them on our radio's, and interact with them throughout our daily lives. Whether it's Kofi Annan (Prez of the United Nations), Patrick Vieira(Arsenal Capt.), Colin Powell(Secretary of Defense-US), Oprah Winfrey, Micheal Jordan, Tiger Woods, the list goes on and on.

It's quite funny, but people can find alot of reasons to hate you (no fault of your own) apart from your skin colour. Hell...could be the way you chew gum, you're accent, you're social status, etc etc etc. So don't let anyone or anything impede your fun during you're travels.

Toodaloo

8. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I saw three games in Russia in May and although there was racial chanting (well, the odd monkey noise anyway) it was kind of curious, like they were doing it out of some kind of novelty value rather than their being any real hatred behind it. Some people were joining in, then giggling to themselves like it was a big joke. It did feel like they were pretending to be racist, mimicking the racists if you will. Mind you, from what I saw of Russia, you will be very very aware of not being white. Nowhere else will "minority" have such a meaning. A shame, because it's a really interesting country, although if you do want to go, be aware you can't just go there like you can most european countries - you need a visa first.

9. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    As a Brotha myself, i went to France 98, i stayed in Paris and Lyon and went to Pamplona.I think you will be just fine, and the ladys in Europe love us, make sure to get some nice European ass!

10. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    And the same if you go below Rome.

11. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Don't be stupid, if I was black I wouldn't bother living in parts of eastern europe. Well, wouldn't bother living in parts of eastern europe anyway, but.

racism in eastern Europe although it's hard to believe this guy.

As for football games, anywhere in Western Europe should be fine but many Italian clubs do have racist supporters, especially Lazio. The big cities in Western Europe normally have a large african/carribean community.

12. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    [​IMG]

Wherever you go man, stick to the main streets and with the crowds and you'll always be safe in Western Europe, someone will look out for you - I wouldn't advise anyone to venture alone into the suburbs though, make sure you have someone with you who knows the territory!

13. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Ha ha, yeah right.

14. 0-Point

0-Point Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Quantum flux
    Course u can travel the globe 2 watch soccer as a Blak - just bring your oozie an' blade. :D

15. Milos

Milos Member+

Sep 6, 2003
    Iacon
    Club:
    Coventry City FC

You will probably be beat up for anything but your colour in some parts of England :)

16. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah but you'd be seriously unlucky if you were a tourist being beaten up no matter what colour you were. I think any country has it's rough parts apart from maybe France, it's a bit hard to imagine a rough area in France.

17. 0-Point

0-Point Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Quantum flux
    Colour gets u lynched! LOL
    :D

18. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    Milos said this not me!

19. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    Ever been to Marseille?

20. go_otrova

go_otrova New Member

Jan 3, 2004
    Palatine
    Ahem! You will probably be beat up for the color that you wear not for the color that you were.

21. Sparta

Sparta New Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    France has a number of very rough areas, actually, particularly in the southern cities and outside of Paris. Furthermore, it's reckless to tell someone that you can go anywhere in France because of some stereotype you seem to have about the people, particularly when its untrue and could get someone else in a bad situation.

22. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    France is home to the worst ghettos Europe has to offer.

23. S H LEE 13

S H LEE 13 New Member

Oct 3, 2004
    Rochester MN
    Ur color doesnt matter

Just be sure that if you cheer for 1 team to an extreme, hang around fans of the same club afterwards, especially if your in Serbia and Montenegro, as my cousin found out

He got beat up by red star belgrade fans after PSV beat 'em 5-nil

24. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'll do just fine in Spain. The moment you open your mouth the people will know where you're from, so don't worry about it. Many have gone before you and had a fantastic time. Don't be afraid to trust strangers, but do trust your instincts if you ever feel like the situation is sketchy. You'll be considered an Americano first, and a black man second. However, don't trust the taxistas, as they love to take you for a ride.

As for the Spanish women, they love eye contact. If you get it, don't give it up. If you get it a second time, don't hesitate to approach. And always carry a lighter, as when you hear, "Tienes fuego?", you know they want to meet you.

You could spend all 21 days in Spain, and you'd barely scratch the surface... but that's the case with most countries in Europe.

25. PokerNSoccer

PokerNSoccer New Member

Sep 29, 2004
    Area 51 Chicago
    Racism is more evident in the Scandavian countries were there basically are no other people there just caucasian.