Would anyone venture a guess as to why.....?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by crewfan_in_columbus, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Goalden

Goalden New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    Bottoms
    He!! no, it just came to me.
    McCuller is going!!!! He's here to hire McCuller. Didn't they work together at DC? I don't really know, I'm just hoping.
    McCuller to Red Bull.
    And Lalas to Columbus.
    Ok, ok, cruel joke. And of course, Lalas will go to San Jose.
    McCuller leaving could mean the organization has given up on the lipsticked pig approach and they are going to try something new. Wonder what might work......let's see......Hmmmm, must be someway to get the fans to come to the games....

2. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, you all didn't fail to dissapoint. You've come up with a lot more creative thinking than I did...not sure that's a real surprise though.

I have queried the wife several times now, and she's convinced it was MonkeyBoy. It takes a lot for her to recognize someone. She about got run over by Eddie George in the Airport offices and was practically clueless except for all the wide eyed people..then she knew he HAD to be someone she should know. Went and asked and had an "OOOOOOHHHHHhhhhhhhh" moment.

We shall see I guess. Thanks for the entertainment!

3. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you querring the wife is something best left off the boards...

4. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Reminds me of the Dave Chappelle bit with the black guy talking to a white guy in their office. The black guy keeps asking about politics and the white guy keeps protesting "Whoa, whoa; that's pretty personal stuff there"

"Anyway, as I was saying, I was banging my wife in the ass last night, and......."

As for the sighting, I have to give cf's wife full credit for recognizing the guy, but I am alarmed that she didn't walk up to him and say "Hey, bitch! You better have a good reason why you're here or I'll have to arrange a beatdown for your sorry ass"

5. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio
    She should have yelled "Remember Germany!" and kicked him in the balls...

6. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I had a wife that could (and I will one day, I promise you):

1. Recognize Bruce Arena

2. Berate him for his recent life choices

3. While screaming arcane bits of soccer knowledge at him

The last thing I would do is tell you guys. A woman that fabulous just too enticing for the men on this board.

That's all I need, you guys sniffing around.

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Skybus.

8. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania
    Any sign of a retinue? I just don't see Bruce getting his own coffee.

9. flagg24

flagg24 Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Findlay
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would have a point there... wouldn't Reyna have been around fetching the coffee for Monkey Boy?

10. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ABMOD. Bruce calls him Igor and kicks him a lot.

11. xb1srw2

xb1srw2 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

12. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    I still think that it had to do with Danny (or Arena has an investment of some sort in C'bus). Note: If Danny would rather sit the bench on a second div. Italian team than play here it just shows the kid is still getting bad advice.

But how about this, The Bruce was in town to discuss the Technical Director slot with the Crew.

It was clearly stated by MM and Sigi at the beginning of the season that the Crew would be looking for someone to create and fill that position. But with the team he is building in NYC, all the money in the freakin' world to play with, and having the league in the back pocket of the team he coaches why would he want to leave?

13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if you really want to know:

Arena was seen in Columbus. It was Arena v. McCullers out out the golf links. Says McCullers, "I took him for about 20 large."

14. Goalden

Goalden New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    Bottoms
    Well, good for him. Maybe he should have let him win and get him to ok a lopsided trade agreement in our favor.

15. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania
    We'd all do that given the chance.

16. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we all know that no business deals are ever arranged on golf courses.

Assuming this is true and not one of the random things we've been posting in a half-jest type way.

17. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arena may not be given a choice if he wants to stay or go with NYRB. RB is not going to be patient to get results, and if BA doesn't deliver, they will likely bring in their own men w/ their own ideas from Austria/Europe and let them keep the nice pieces BA brought in and improve the rest.

I'd say NYRB has to make serious playoff noise this year to be considered a satisfying year otherwise the lack of media market attention might make RB think twice about how quickly they look to launch NYRB into the top of the Eastern Conference.

NY hasn't had the best form lately after starting off very well. BA might be seeing what his options are.

Well, regardless if it's a Krypto-joke or not, I still am not comfortable with thinking that BA might be interviewing for a position in Columbus. He'd have to do something pretty amazing to win me over.

18. Goalden

Goalden New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    Bottoms

19. xb1srw2

xb1srw2 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Arena did end up coming here, if he brings Reyna with him as DP, I'm going to become a Fire fan.

20. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not too bothered by or home record this year when compared to our road record.

Making the playoffs would not provide the amnesty he would need. And as Technical Director, I think those metrics are a bit different than what might be put on the feet of a coach.

21. Matt D

Matt D Member

Mar 17, 2006
    new orleans
    ...My girlfriend saw Ronaldinho at the Columbus airport today....

22. HardestWorkingFan

HardestWorkingFan Piss on the F*re

Oct 29, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    I hope nobody seriously thinks that Arena would leave his job in NY to take any position whatsoever in Columbus.

To pry him away from his hometown coaching job where he enjoys all the support he could ever want from his owners and the league would require HSG to offer him a salary probably five times what he is earning now.

No chance. Zero. Zilch.

If it really was Arena at the airport (I'm not saying I don't believe it was him, but we don't have any other confirming sources at this time) then I'd think he'd have to be here to talk to Szetela.

I know the league negotiates contracts and not the clubs, but it's possible that the Crew informed the league that they weren't willing to accomodate a cap hit any larger than x amount of dollars, which Szetela was unwilling to accept. I believe I've heard of negotiations going this way in the past.

It's very possible that the league is willing to up the offer if another team is willing to take the cap hit, which NY might be.

Maybe Arena is here to try to talk Danny into re-signing with MLS on the condition that the Crew trade him to NY, and frankly, I don't see why Columbus would be unwilling to do so. They're willing to lose him for nothing at the end of the season anyway, so why not trade him now or at the end of the season and get a second rounder or something out of the deal, at least?

To me, that's the only logical, soccer related reason that Bruce would possibly be in Columbus, if it was even really him.

23. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are the Clippers in town? Maybe he's a fan.

24. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    The trade is final. Szetela for Chris Leitch.

25. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are fishing for negative rep, aren't you...