Worst World Cup of all time.

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by AstonVillaFan, Mar 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AstonVillaFan

AstonVillaFan BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 13, 2005
    I nominate 2002 however, i can only really remember 94, 98, and 2002

Zeppers sry for stealin your idea.

2. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Most people normally go for 1990 (although it is my personal favourite). 2002 was awful, I seriously though about not watching the final.

3. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    With the exception of the Cameroon emergence, 1990 was pretty bad.

A number of horrible games in the knockout stages decided by penalty kicks.

Cynical play and low scoring (I remember perhaps the ugliest Uruguay team in history backing into the second round).

And, of course, the final was a badly played joke decided on a dubious penalty kick.

2002 was terrific by comparison, believe me.

4. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    1990 was just pathetic. 2002 was rather ho-hum but 1990 stunk in a nuclear way.

IIRC that was THE World Cup that forced FIFA to not allow GKs to grab backward passes with their hands.

5. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    1990 wasn't all bad, there were some good games, that said the final was probably the leats exciting World Cup game I've ever seen and it is the worst World Cup

2002 was bad too, a pedestarin German team made it to the final simply by not having to play any teams of real quality. Also whilst it's good to see teams like South korea, the USA, Japan, Senegal and even Turkey do well, it's not good to see them do well just because so many of the major football power never really turned up.

1994 was good though I felt a little disappoimted it came down to penalities, 1998 was good also (though again it's a shame about Ronaldo).

Apart from that I barely remember the 1986 World Cup final.

6. AstonVillaFan

AstonVillaFan BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 13, 2005
    im 2 young 2 remember 1990....but oh well

7. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    I don't really agree with this. Cameroon, Ireland, and Paraguay were very solid teams, the USA wasn't bad, and Korea at home is no pushover. Germany's group was probably the third toughest, and they won it comfortably. Also, Germany only gave up one goal prior to the final game - a last minute equalizer against Ireland. And winning 8-0 against any team that's stronger than San Marino is always an accomplishment.

Germany in 2002 may not have been quite up to their historical standard talent-wise, but they still had some excellent players. They shouldn't be faulted for the failure of some of the other traditional powers, and I think their overall play was the second best of any team in the tournament.

8. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    1990. Cameroon-England was an exciting match, but by and large the Cup was not fun to watch... PK shootouts galore.

9. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

that was quite a game. i thought Cameroon was coming after a comeback when they scored two goals in four minutes..

10. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I post this same post every once in awhile. The 1990 WC Finals were boring because.

Brazil: The traditional most entertaining team decided to field the most boring teams ever. Their team happened to be boring.

Italy: The traditional most defensive team decided to play more defensive.

Argentina: Argentina in 1986 was a one-man team. Maradona in 1990 was four years older than his best self. That 1986 team is probably better than the 1990 edition with or without Maradona. They played struggle soccer. They fought every minutes for survival.

Spain: Did not have much memory of them.

West Germany: The traditional blue collar team decided to play entertaining soccer, but went back to their blue collar ways in the 2nd round and onward.

Holland: Decided that Italy 1990 was a summer vocation.

France: not even there.

USSR: perhaps the weakest team ever.

England: Apart from their semifinal against West Germany, they struggled through the rounds. their quaterfinal against cameroon was very entertaining.

11. Zeppelin

Zeppelin New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    it's the best one for USA !

12. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    1990. Boring teams, boring games. Bad, bad final. Also, it had the lowest goals per match average ever (2.21). On the bright side, one of the few teams that actually tried to play football, Germany, won the tournament.

13. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Chile 1962 was the worst ever. Only 89 goals were scored in 32 matches, only four stadiums were used, the facilities were bad and there were some rough matches like Yugoslavia vs USSR and Italy vs Chile. Pele got injured early in the tornament but Garrincha starred in this tornament. Hungary were impressive in the first round but they were knocked out by the Czechoslovakians in the quarter-finals. Czechoslovakia surprised throughout the tornament, reaching the final but they weren't the attractive team of the 1930s. They were a slow though effective team that relied on the performances of goalie Wilhelm Schroiff and midfielder Josef Masopust. Legendary goalkeeper Lev Yashin, had a disappointing World Cup for his standards. After the Soviets took a 4-1 lead, Yashin had let in three goals in 20 minutes against Colombia. In the quarter-finals against the hosts, Yashin had let two long-range drives fly past him and into the net.

Excape Goat, I disagree with your comments about Italy in 1990. In the first two matches, Italy won 1-0 but the Azzurri kept on attacking. Italy's let down was their finishing. Against Austria, the finishing was laughable. Carnevale and Vialli were missing chances like crazy. Surely they should have put in two or three chances before Schillaci came in.

14. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Perhaps, they did attack, but very ineffective.

15. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    2002 sucked...and the final was blah...the whole tournament was..."Let's see who can get to the final and lose to Brazil"

16. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    1978 has to be up there. The bad stench that was going to Argentina right after a military coup that killed thousands of people. Argentina winning after several poor refereeing performances.

17. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Bad reffing that changes outcomes is practically a constant.

Here's more damning "evidence" against the horrible WC of 1990. First round results, Group F:

England 1-1 Ireland
    Holland 1-1 Egypt
    England 0-0 Holland
    Ireland 0-0 Egypt
    England 1-0 Egypt
    Holland 1-1 Ireland

England, Ireland and Holland all advanced, despite the last two not having won a single match and England only squeaking past Egypt. Those games were even more cynically played than they look on paper, if that's possible.

Changing to 3 pts. for a win has helped matters somewhat in this regard.

18. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    1990 was the clear one until 2002. 2002 is the one. The traditional powers didn't arrive and all those teams got far playing at their own level. Upsets are great if the team rise over their level and win games but in 2002 they played at thier level and it was the good teams that underachieved. To me the clear example was the Turkey-Senegal game. If you look on paper before a Turkey-Senegal game, it was just as expected. They played at thier level, just like you would expect a game between them would. Yet it was on the Quarterfinals and it was deciding a place to the semifinals of the world cup.

19. Zeppelin

Zeppelin New Member

Jan 24, 2006
  20. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Is that a joke? Ireland, a team that qualifies once in a blue moon, Cameroon who are absolutely nothing special, and Saudi Arabia? That was THE easiest group in the tournament.

Paraguay are absolute nobodies, same with the USA, and Korea were punching massively above their weight.

If Germany had played Brazil, Argentina or England earlier on, there's no way they'd have gotten to the final.

2002 was the worst world cup in a long time. I can't remember a single memorable match, and no memorable incidents other than cheating or bad offside calls.

21. ManUSA

ManUSA New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    1986. It was tainted by that hand of god moment of cheating.

22. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, but Argentina 78 had some great matches, and some excellent players and teams. Argentina was a worthy champion, as it had had great performances from players like Kempes, Ardiles, Bertoni, Passarella, Houseman, and goalkeeper Fillol, to mention a few. And look at the caliber of the teams Argentina played on its way to the title: Hungary, France, Italy, Poland, Brazil, Peru, Netherlands.

Other superstars from that World Cup include France's Platini, Italy's Betega, Benetti and Rossi, Poland's Lato and Deyna, Germany's Rummenigge, Holland's Krol and Resembrink, Mexico's Hugo Sanchez, Brazil's Rivelino, Zico and Dirceu, Peru's Cubillas, Hungary's Nylasi among others, as well as some of the all-time great goalkeepers including Dino Zoff and Sepp Maier.

I don't think you can judge a World Cup based on the merits and shortcomings of the government that is ruling the country. Argentina 78 was a great party for the people of Argentina, and a much needed boost for us at a very difficult time in our country's history. The emotions were very high, and we also witnessed some excellent football.

And as far as your second point, really the home team has been helped in almost every World Cup. We could go down the list, and you will find controversy in that regards in just about every tournament, from Uruguay 30 to Korea/Japan 02.

Argentina's 90 finalist squad was a much worse team than the 78 WC winner. Maradona was playing on one leg, and really other than Cannigia and goalkeeper Goycoechea nobody played well.

Italy was probably the most talented team in the 90 WC, and yet they played with almost no emotion. Brazil and Netherlands had talent and they were eliminated early. And Germany was probably the team most deserving overall of being the champion, but they also didn't really shine, and the final was horrible. I'm also going to pick Italy 1990 as the worst WC I've seen.

23. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In terms of their finishing, yes. If their finishing was a lot better and they didn't rely on Schillaci's finishing, maybe they would have been considered to have been one of the most entertaining sides in the World Cup, aftr West Germany and Cameroon.

OK. That clearly shows that you don't know much about the rest of the tornament.

Argentina 78 was definitely better than Italia 90 and the final was very good too. There were great players in that tornament like you have said but Nyilasi didn't have a very good tornament and Platini and Sanchez weren't really that close to their best.

Everybody complains about Argentina's political state and the merits of Argentina win. There may have been the suspicion but that Argentina team had a quality side. Ardiles, Kempes and Fillol, in particular, were worthy of the trophy and "El Flaco" Menotti was a great coach.

Two other teams that worthy of the trophy were Italy and Holland. The Oranje may have been missing Cryuff but they still played some good football. The Azzurri had a better team than 1982 World Cup squad but the loss against Holland proved to be the final blow. Earlier in the tornament, they topped the Group of Death, featuring Argentina, France and Hungary and there were great performances by Rossi, Benetti and above all, Roberto Bettega.

24. ManUSA

ManUSA New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Well, all I've really seen is highlights. I was only born in 1987.

25. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    1990 was a great WC if you were Irish, unforunately for the rest of the world (sans Cameroon) it was terrible if you weren't, mostly thanks to how we played under Charlton. A real shame imo, is us not getting past Spain in the 2002 WC shootout (and Keane not being in the team), because under McCarthy we were playing a far more exciting, cavalier style of football. The scorelines still weren't very high, but we were an exciting team to watch. Then Brian Kerr happened...