Worst Team of the World Cup Prediction Contest

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by MexiKampeon, Dec 19, 2013.

?

What team is most likely to finish with 0 points & worst Goal Differential

Poll closed Jun 19, 2014.
  1. Group B - Australia

39.0%
  2. Group D - Costa Rica

8.8%
  3. Group F - Iran

24.3%
  4. Group F - Bosnia

3.7%
  5. Group G - USA

11.8%
  6. Group H - Algeria

12.5%
  1. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    They chose not to do that so they can get called up by Klinsman for the WC. No one was thinking of Mexico.
    If it wasn't for Mexico earning enough points to stay alive, they wouldn't've qualified. But Mexico qualified due to their own merit.

You must remember that usa took 4 points from Mexico, so they hindered more than "helped". The Hex isn't just 1 game, it is 10 per team.

2. GrandeSoccer

GrandeSoccer Member+

Jun 20, 2010
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    the only cool Colombiano on here is my boy sid.

the rest of them always act bitchy to Mexico lol

3. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Iran, head and shoulders "above" the others.

4. Juan Delgado

Juan Delgado Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So being cool means riding a team's balls and being biased? And being bitchy to a team means being honest and stating facts? Interesting...

5. GrandeSoccer

GrandeSoccer Member+

Jun 20, 2010
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    You still barking?

6. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    You haven't stated any facts.

7. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Bosnia will be strong and the pride they will have will help them. They'll do well

8. David Connolly

Apr 1, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ya sucedió - tres veces (1930, 1958 y 1978).

PanchoM, Juan Delgado and jay luis repped this.
  9. paulalanr

paulalanr Member

Nov 5, 2013
    New Orleans, LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [quote="It's called FOOTBALL, post: 29800355, mem
    You must remember that usa took 4 points from Mexico, so they hindered more than "helped". The Hex isn't just 1 game, it is 10 per team.[/quote]

Very good point. If Panama had scraped up one more point somewhere, say beating a really poor Jamaica squad, Mexico would be on their couches watching instead. They did just enough, even if it was ridiculously close.

10. Spirois

Spirois Member

Apr 18, 2014
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC
    My pick for worst team is Costa Rica. Not because they are a worse team than Iran, or my country (Australia), but because they are in the same group as teams I expect to have an attacking World Cup.

England, Italy and Uruguay will make the group stage very tough for Los Ticos

At the risk of being self-indulgent, Me and a friend of mine have put together a website which allows you to rank all 32 World Cup teams. It's free to join, and you we've put up a prize of $100 for the person who can most accurately rank the teams. You could even create a Big Soccer group to compete amongst yourselves for bragging rights ;)

If you're interested, take a look at http://wc14.com.au

11. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don't know... Costa Rica defends well, plays a very good counter attacking style and is a very compact team they can complicate anyone. Italy and England are big teams but not better than previous years and Uruguay is inconsistent.
    Plus Uruguay Italy and England will have the pressure of needing to beat Costa Rica in order to qualify and a loss against Costa Rica will look bad on them, while for Costa Rica they dont have any pressure as they are not expected of winning any game.

12. Spirois

Spirois Member

Apr 18, 2014
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC
    There's certainly some truth to what you say, pressure and implied pressure can change how clubs play.

I'd argue that although they are big teams, Italy, Uruguay, and especially England don't carry much expectation with them this year.

Regardless, should an interesting group to watch.

zahzah repped this.
  13. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    sure, but still England Uruguay and Italy are expected to win that game and not only that, the fact that these 3 big teams are fighting for 2 spots increase the pressure to win this game.

They are clearly favorites I wouldn't bet in favor of Costa Rica, but frankly it wont surprise me if under the right conditions Costa Rica could manage to get ties, or who knows maybe a win.

14. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To finish dead last you have to be in a brutal group, and Australia, Japan, USA and Costa Rica are all candidates.

Additionally, there is always a decent team that collapses under the pressure, like France in 2010. Should be fun to see who that is

15. El_Bulla

El_Bulla Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Japan in a brutal group? I think they have a pretty good chance of making the second round, better than the Ivory Coast and Greece's, and if Colombia disappoints I wouldn't be surprised to see Japan get first place. In the worst of cases if Japan crashes out in the first round, I think they would at least get a point, which would mean they'd most likely already have done better than Australia and Costa Rica (assuming they finish with 0).

16. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Deff Costa Rica is a strong candidate, but i just look at the facts that i mentioned before and I totally see them graving points, you are from USA you seen Costa Rica way more than me and know they are a really hard organized defensive team that can do some damage.
    Im not even from Costa Rica, yes their Coach is Colombian but so is the Honduras one and last WC and I didn't have any expectations on them.

Japan I dont see them as candidate for last, Greece seems weaker but our group seems pretty much even.
    Australia is deff a candidate also but Netherlands have some serious questions. Also Chile is a great team but can be inconsistent at times. Frankly I dont know in what level does Australia comes into the tournament so I reserve my opinion there.
    The US had a really though draw, Germany probably will get the 3 points, no doubt about that, and the games against Portugal and US Kriptonite "Ghana" looks like an ugly situation but I'm sure are going to be really close games.

17. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    If anything the team that should have been pinpointed for massive failure was Greece, not Japan.

18. Spirois

Spirois Member

Apr 18, 2014
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC
    Australia v South Africa on May 26th will be an good indicator, but I suppose the real scrutiny of teams will start once the Champions League has been decided - there are a bunch of interesting International Friendlies coming up.

elviejomen repped this.
  19. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Costa Rica certainly is the obvious choice but Honduras could just as well be the one. Also I think that the one that put up Bosnia but not Nigeria is way off.

I agree, Greece can at times produce teamwork miracles but I don't have much faith in them this summer.

20. Claudio

Claudio New Member

May 3, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree with the fact that US will perform much better than Australia, but Mexico is more likely to finish second than last. Cameroon won't provide much competition and Croatia will be a good match.

21. Tobias19

Tobias19 Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Sweden
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Iran is the worst team, no question about that

22. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Hard to see where Costa Rica gets any points. I expect Iran will get a point somewhere along the line.

My prediction for the team that will be a total bust is "seeded" Switzerland. I see them losing to France, probably losing to Ecuador, and they have to play Honduras in the afternoon in the Amazon swamps of Manaus. Good luck with that, Alpine yodelers. :rolleyes:

23. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    I'm surprised that people aren't mentionning Algeria has the potential worst team at the finals...Early in 2013 at the African Nations Cup,they bowed out with a single point from a draw and 2 losses in the group stages,they don't play a lot of friendlies and when they do,they play them at home and against average teams from the African continent.Therefor they are not used to playing quality opposition like they will face next month and it's gonna show.Yes the group is not that strong but the other 3 teams in the group are heads and shoulders above them...Other possible candidates are Cameroon,Australia and possibly the Ticos(Costa Rica)...

24. paulalanr

paulalanr Member

Nov 5, 2013
    New Orleans, LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, The weaker fish are pretty easy to point out this year:

Algeria, Cameroon, Iran, Australia, Honduras, possibly Greece.

Costa Rica is by no means a complete team, but they're tougher than they look at times. Australia has been decent in the past, but this is a weaker year for them. Not sure what to think of Greece. Some people say they're pushovers, and others say they're likely to surprise.

25. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    I personally can see Iran,Australia and even Honduras get at the very least a point.Honduras is kinda hard to predict.They didn't do too good in 2010 but back then they had many old players who were ending their careers(Amado Guevara and Carlos Pavon)...I'm expecting some improvement from them...A victory against Switzerland is well within their reach.