Worst sellout?

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by bojendyk, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    not even a sell out. a good marketing tack. too bad you aren't in on the ground floor.

3. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.

Ah! Exactly!

The damned ipod comercial is proof of that. It's horrible and so were they on SNL.

4. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    You have to put these things in historical perspective.

When they first came out they were cutting edge.

5. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    actualy i think U2 sold out way before ipop came calling.

zooropa anyone?

6. Rui Costa

Rui Costa New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    I don't really know what selling out means, but I'm sure Metallica come close.From "And justice for all" to crap like Load and Reload and suing plumbers and Napster.

7. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In order to be considered a sellout, I think you actually had to not be a sellout at some point and then become one. U2 always wanted to be huge and would have shot their dogs in order to be so.

And I've been a fan for 20 years, so go figure.

8. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    She does a spread in Penthouse and all is forgiven. :)

9. Ronaldo T Willemski

Ronaldo T Willemski New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Brizroy
    Pearl Jam.

Post Vitalogy.

10. Ronaldo T Willemski

Ronaldo T Willemski New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Brizroy
    Pearl Jam.

Post Vitalogy.

11. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Martin Quittenton did a lot of that 12-string work (he co-wrote Maggie May) and Mick Waller was the main drummer.

And then Beck got jealous and kicked him out. :)

But yeah, Stewart's right at the top of sellouts.

12. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I'm surprised Dave Matthews hasn't made the list. The last two CDs were beyond atrocious sellout crap.
    Of all time, however......
    I wouldn't label McCartney a sell out, because he didn't do this stuff for the money. He just started making sappier and sappier music. If all artists who started sucking in later stages of their careers are sellouts, where's the Stones? U2 aren't sellouts either - they're just not cutting edge anymore. Achtung Baby is one of my top albums of all time, but they were hardly small at the time. Zooropa was self indulgent, but it wasn't selling out. (Although it did suck donkey balls.) By POP you could see they were mocking themselves even as they were going over the top.
    If anyone is a true sellout, its Mick Fleetwood, touring with "Fleetwood Mac" that contained one original member - him. Oh, Clapton, Lenny Kravitz and Queen get votes for me. Everyone's opinion of Queen is colored by Freddy Mercury's passing, but the truth is that their later stuff was pretty bad, and they played Sun City for the moolah. Clapton's done some stupid duets that irk me. That, and I think he's the most overrated musician of all time. (Smiths being the most overrated band. I get it you're depressed.)

13. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    I'd have to agree with the ones who suggested Genesis - or more precisely, Phil Collins. Phil was a dynamite drummer back when Genesis had Peter Gabriel.

Then again, would it be any better if they'd kept beating the dead horse like Yes has done for all these years? Genesis was pretty well drained of material by about 1975 or so.

As far as continuing to cash in despite having no reason to exist, I'd say Chicago gets a mention. And there are too many graybeard rock reunion bands to mention, but one of the most flagrant ripoffs is a group that calls itself "Bad Company" without Paul Rogers.

14. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, to try answer this and another poster's question selling out is an act of changing one's musical aesthetic/sensibilty for the sole purpose of commercial success. The ol' "can I look myself in the mirror," test. To be fair, that's a harsh test-especially when it's not your career in the balance. But at the end of the day, I think you do get an answer.

David Bowie "Let's Dance" period is an interesting examination of the law of unintended consequences and selling out. He cleary wanted to make a more commercial record, employing Nile Rodgers. And it worked-but look what it did to his career? He wasted a whole decade trying get his hands around what for him was a one-off effort. He admits that he tried to follow up the success of that album-selling out, if you will. And his career suffered. (Although I am glad it gave us Tin Machine-but that's me).

The Stones I don't consider sellouts. They are simply an extravegant oldies act. Perhaps the selling of their music for commercials and stuff bothers people, but I have never really cared about that stuff.

Now Eric Clapton is a different story-but at least he is honest about it. He has mentioned quite a few times that in his heart, he would like to be a cross between Stevie Ray Vaughn and Johnny Winter in terms of following his muse. But he likes the trappings that come with being a pop star. And that has left us with a lot of spotty records. He has been on record saying that this is a conflict that has bothered him at times. I don't think he is overated and when you see him play live he is a diffrent animal.

I think the antithesis of this are people like Elvis Costello, Van Moririson, or Joni Mitchell. They have for the most part, found a way to age gracefully; experimenting and being realist about their past. Costello in particular has made it a point not to be nostalgic about this early success. Pete Townshend as well has done some good solo work; his recent touring with The Who, much more a result of his loyalty to Daltrey and the late John Entwhistle.

It's these and other examples, that IMO puts McCartney in the sellout category. He has on occassion, tried to do some interesting things, but if you examine his work since "Tug Of War," at best it's a guy who's just run out of ideas and is comfortable coasting; at worst someone searching for a hits formula. The telling thing about his career is the lack of collaborations-I mean Joni Mitchell in 1980 was on the road with Pat Metheny, Jaco Pastorious, and Michael Brecker. You'd think someone of his stature would have done some landmark work with others, but look at his discography. "Paul McCartney`s Liverpool Oratorio" ...eh

15. Rambler

Rambler New Member

May 6, 2003
    I think the Spice Girls sold out with "Spiceworld".

They never did recover from that one. But then following up "Wannabe" was always asking a lot.

16. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I still disagree. Its not that McCartney said one day "I really want to make more commercial records". Its that he's run out of ideas ages ago. That's OK - most artists do. Its hard being a relevant artist when you ARE the status quo. That's why when Harrison said he didn't like Oasis, even though they loved the Beatles, Noel responded that "of course, he's old! If old people liked our music, we'd be in trouble." Making bad music isn't selling out. Styx made horrible, horrible music for years. They weren't sellouts. They just sucked.

17. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Equinox is actually a pretty good album, but they went straight into the crapper after that.

18. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Oh, I just remembered the person I consider the biggest sellout of all time. No, he's not a musician, but God DAMN I hate how Dan Akroyd sold out. From Blues Brothers and toys unsafe for children to playing the Nazi of Christmas cheer in Christmas with the Kranks? Dan, just how badly do you need that paycheck?

19. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Here's one that came to me while driving home tonight. Chicago...

They were jamming "I'm a Man" on the radio and it came to me. How could such a kickass band in the 60's and 70's turn into a smary, soupy love ballady piece of crap. Their first couple of albums absolutely rocked. They were all talented musicians that were as tight a band as there came. Then it all went wrong. Maybe losing Terry Kath to had something to do with them losing their edge some, but they went COMPLETELY overboard. I can't help to get a little sad when I hear some of their old stuff and think about what could have been.

Think I'll go put on "Chicago Transit Authority" on the cd player now....

20. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Did you leave out "Crossroads" for a reason?

How can one talk about Akroyd without talking about playing Britney Spears' father?

21. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    And how is it you know Dan Akroyd was in "Crossroads"???

22. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

post??????

wtf crack you on??

they don't do videos, they don't do mtv...

is your definition of selling out... creating the music you want to create and touring?????

23. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    OK, I agree with most of these choices - Chicago, Genesis, and Liz Phair are great calls. But I need to add a hip-hop name here - Big Daddy Kane, starting with parts of Taste of Chocolate and then full-on with Prince of Darkness. His first two albums are stone classics of the genre, but then he moved into R&B-drenched loverman territory with lame, Vanilla-Ice's-"I Love You"-level raps and cheesy sung hooks.

24. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thinking of Styx (Tommy Shaw) lead me to think about Damn Yankees. HTF does Ted Nugent go from singing Wang Dang Sweet Poontang to crap like High Enough ? Motor City Madmen should not be doing power ballads.

The Stones are definitely the Ultimate sellouts, they just do it so well no one complains. Rock Band -> disco -> selling songs to Budweiser -> selling to Microsoft -> ?. What's left, rap ?

Neil Young gets my anti-sellout vote.

25. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    That's an excellent question! How DO you know that? ;)
    I did not, actually. But man, that makes it even worse. Ugh.