Worst Jersey/Kit of MLS 2003?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Catfish, Sep 16, 2003.

1. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC United's white jersey/black short outfit is one of my favorites. OTOH, their red jersey (used at the Rovers game) makes me puke.

2. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the Galaxy away whites. The Green/Gold sash is kinda classy. It's way better than the home kit now.

We really need to get a group of designers and make some new patches:

WESTERN
    Galaxy - What the hell is that shape, anyway?
    a blender blade?

Earthquakes - You're called the earthquakes, but your symbol is just a sunny soccer ball. Sigh.

Rapids - see above

Wizards - Very 1972. Peter Max should design the logo next

Burn- ah, yes. Fire breathing pony. Very nice. Were you all HIGH when you thought of that?

EASTERN-
    Fire- This is only one I REALLY like. I hated the name "Fire" (too close to "Burn" and generic, too). But then I saw the patch. Very classic. (I say add "Established 1998" on there)

Crew - I think everyone has covered this.

United - Clever name, ok logo. Needs a bit more detail. Like a better designed Eagle or something.

MetroSexuals- Nice Shield. A star and a soccer ball, huh? Must have kept you guys up at night thinking.

Rev - as a Patriots fan, I'm suprisingly okay with the logo. It needs to be refined onto a patch, though. I say add some crossed-muskets

Mind you, I've only been following the MLS since 2001. . . .

3. PSsoccer123

PSsoccer123 New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    NE Revolution. Their jersey is just boring.The others are great.

4. psycho killer

psycho killer New Member

May 26, 2003
    NJ
    Metros white jerseys are horrible. I really like the Galaxy's new unis, both the home and the away. Maybe there's something wrong with me. I agree that team names should be scrapped from the front of the jerseys, but hey this is America, that's like asking to scrap the halftime show at the all star game. American tradition is American tradition, no matter how cheezy it is sometimes.

5. AZ Quake

AZ Quake New Member

May 1, 2003
    Mesa, AZ
    The all-white change strips will always be a sore point with me concerning MLS. Just don't get why clubs can't be a little more inventive when it comes to their look.

Also, I'm still pissed at the Quakes for changing their kit this past season. Thought the Blue/White/Black jerseys they wore from 2000-02 were the best by far in MLS. The new look is vastly inferior IMHO.

6. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    KC looked good with white shorts and blue jerseys last night, I thought. Better than the Metro's whites today. And the Fire wore red in LA as well. The problem is that a lot of people have similar colors or shades, and away whites is therefore easiest. If somebody had home whites it would be cool.

Why couldn't the Burn wear Red (with white shorts) last night in SJ? I'm not sure the Metros have much choice today, unfortunately, because their whites are ugly.

Just a review of what we have:
    Chicago: Nice, but not as good as last year. Needs a dark color in there.
    Colorado: I like the green kappa kit, in hindsight. Make it the away colors.
    Columbus: Yellow is great, black a good away strip.
    Dallas: Pretty well-established red-and-black, but away whites are unnecesary.
    DC United: Nice classy black, and sharp whites.
    KC: All blue is boring--blue and white last night was good.
    LA: It's not a thing of beauty, but it seems to fit.
    Metros: Like the AC Milan, not the whites.
    New England: Blue and red is okay, but why not try red-and-blue reverse for away kit?
    SJ: Blue and Black is fine.

The are no terrible kits, but there could be a bit more variety and creativity, and less away white. They should be "change" kits, not "away" kits, as AZ Quake pointed out--you should only change when the kits clash, and that wouldn't really happen that often in MLS: Fire-Dallas (red), DC-Metros (black/dark), KC-SJ-Rev-Colo (blue), LA-Crew and Dallas-Metros (red/black mix). So the Crew should only need their change kit for one match (away at LA)!

I didn't realize the 96 kits were that ugly. Wow.

7. Iancam03

Iancam03 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 8, 2003
    So CAL
    The Galaxy's home and away kits are just plain awful. Probably among the worst in the world. I find it hard to root for them when another team is wearing an elegant addias kit such as DC United away. But, most of the kits in this league lack elegance and style. Nothing really eccentric. Two teams in the league have jerseys that are cheap imitations of AC Milan and InterMilan. The Fire look good with red and White, really sharp, even on the road.

8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you "like" all the all-white looks that several teams wear, yet one of the only teams who has more than one dominant color in their primary uniform is "too plain"? Sure, whatever.

The "change" kit is what really matters. KC looked like gli Azurri against LA the other night, and they really looked sharp.

If LA and Columbus wear yellow at home, all other teams should wear their dark jerseys. Obviously LA would have to wear white (with green shorts) and Columbus would wear black when they play each other.

Any of the blue teams would be fine against any of the red teams, although the away team might wear another color shorts and socks in some instances (Colorado vs Metro). DC at home in all black would be fine against anyone other than Metro and Colorado (they could wear white shorts/socks DC).

As for the blue-vs-blue, in those instances the away team should wear white, although if there's a dominant second color, that could work as well. If the Revs had a second kit that was all-red, they could wear it in KC, SJ, or DC, if the blue was too close to DC black.

The problem is that you can't easily tell who is playing with 9 away teams in all white. Unless there is a color clash, we shouldn't see white jerseys, and almost never all-white.

Tom

9. Iancam03

Iancam03 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 8, 2003
    So CAL
    Even DC United's Warm-up Jersey looks better than all of the other MLS teams starting jersey.

10. goatnutsgoal

goatnutsgoal New Member

Jan 29, 2001
    On the street gettin
    bad #$@@!
    good **
    great ***
    keeper ****

KC ***

sj ***

col #$@@! why do they look like the metro's in blue? What ever happen to the color green.

dallas #$@@! need help

LA #$@@! they need help

DC ****

clb ****

fire *** I liked old kit.

metro's #$@@! I think it suck's! the white kit really sucks very bad.

rev #$@@! they have always had a bad kit.

Things that I liked to see. New colors green, org, purple, anything but red and blue and white.

11. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    I like the jerseys this year. The Fire, United, Dallas, San Jose, the Wizards, and the Crew all have great looking home jerseys. Every other team, except maybe the Galaxy, have great looking jerseys. The Galaxy's colors are just weird to me.

The Crew have the best looking away jersey. The rest aren't so bad if only one or two teams had a white away jersey but the fact that most of them do sucks. D.C. United or the Burn could just trade their black for a light grey and the Metrostars black stripes could go to white and leave the red. *Something* should be done, because every away jersey looking the same sucks.

Oh, and I hope Colorado goes back to green instead of this blue/black stuff.

12. Crewbasher

Crewbasher Member

Jul 7, 1999
    The Enemy Base
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally feel that DCU has the best set-up overall (home/road jerseys, badge, colors, etc.). Very classy.
    Columbus has great jerseys, but I hafta agree with everyone who claims tht the logo could use some revamping.
    I like the Metros home kit (although the mesh shoulders don't always look right). The away kit definitely could use some work. White and black stripes might be an option (like they had a few years back)
    The Revs jersey is fine by me. I wouldn't change it that much. And I'm cool with the logo too.
    Chicago has a great badge and color scheme, although I like the unis better when Nike produced them. The Puma ones aren't horrible, though.
    Dallas - first off, new name and logo. Other than that, I don't find too many problems with the kits.
    LA - personally, I liked the teal when it was used properly. The new colors could work, but the sash thing doesn't work for me. The reason (as someone previously referred to) that Inter can get away with the sash is that the kit is white with a blue and black sash... it's unassuming and simple. Bright yellow and forest green need a better design (ask the '96 Clash - away uniforms)
    San Jose - to be honest, the logo's OK, but what does it have to do with SJ or earthquakes? The colors are good, but last year's jersey was nicer.
    Colorado - I think they should've stuck with the green, but the home uni is great. I think it would be cool if they borrow Celtic's design for their away jersey (green and white hoops, baby).
    KC - finally got the uniform straightened out. Now it's time to get rid of that logo... and Wolde Harris while they're at it. :)

But this has been one of the better years overall for the look of the league.

13. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    My 1996 kit list. Best to Worst
    (better yet bad to horrible)

01. D.C. United
    02. Columbus Crew
    03. Colorado Rapids
    04. MetroStars
    05. LA Galaxy
    06. Dallas Burn
    07. N.E. Revoution
    08. San Jose Clash
    09. Tampa Bay Mutiny (R.I.P)
    10. K.C. Wizards

14. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    dc's home 2003 uniform is by far the absolute worst in MLS. It's boring in the stands, and atrocious on TV. Every game at RFK is a black vs white on green affair. It creates that It's-a-rec-league-flip-the-channel-immediately effect.

Also, you can't refer to yourself as the "black and red" and then have that just paved road of a uniform. dc is the "black and white". Road offerings are not bad, especially for an all white base.

Spare everyone the fouth grade, "Oh, yeah? KC '96." retorts.

15. goosegg

goosegg New Member

Jul 31, 2002
    NYC
    feel good

I was just watching the recap of Champions League matches & Galatasaray beats all of the worst MLS jerseys, it's like a tye dye experiment gone bad.

16. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    it's funny how many LA fans hate the new kits, it seems only non-LA fans think they're okay.

i vote for ours too, they suck. our strip has always sucked and until i see otherwise our strip will always suck. the teal looked like some trendy kind of chick pajamas, these new "always wet" look are just ugly...

17. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    I miss last seasons Galaxy away kit with "Los Angeles" spelled across the chest.

I wish the stripe on the new kit was a single solid color instead of a combo of two.

18. Foots

Foots Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Ellicott City, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Of course you are going to say DC's are the worst. Considering you hate DCU with a passion.

19. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    LA, has got to be the worst, sad thing is if they had gone with different colors, it could have been one of the cooler ones. Lets all be thankful we have come a long way since '96.

20. Bryan Gividen

Bryan Gividen New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Provo, UT (BYU)
    I can't believe this many people hate LA's jersies. I love them. Teal... you guys are obviously hippies! Dude! Teal is so yesterday. The forest green and gold works. It's got a latin look to it that looks beautiful when you see Ruiz streaking (not like that!) down the field in it.

For ugliest, I'd go with Burn and Fire. Fire just need to work with the front of their jersey a little bit, remove that big ass "Fire" from the front. Burn need a makeover. New England could use some help.

Definitely agree with wishing Colorado had kept their green. Is nothing sacred anymore? We can just change colors at any whim? Come on! Let's have some history.

And the following teams need to consult a new artist when re-designing their seal, emblem, whatever you want to call it.

-Colorado
    -Kansas City
    -Los Angeles
    -New England
    -Dallas
    -San Jose

Chicago, the Crew (people hate it, but I dunno, I think its kind of quarky cool that they pay tribute to real heroes... and, uhm, the village people), MetroStars, and DC United all have awesome logos if you ask me.

21. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maybe this has something to do with the fact that our kits are usually solid color:
    They look good in blue and white, but it did clash with the Rapids all-white. Of course, Colorado could have worn their black shorts...but no, that would be ridiculous...

22. Bravehart3

Bravehart3 Member

Sep 15, 2003
    Mississippi
    mesh makes any uniform look horrible. I know playing in the summer is hot but the mesh has to go.

DCU has the best kits, i think not having the team name wrote in huge block letter across the front has every thing to do with it.

And... I like the Metostars Away kits... the silver loopies give it something extra that nobody elses boring away unies have(except the Crews)

23. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Black and white Toon stripes for Metrostars away kits or bust!!!

24. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Favorite= DC Home and Away
    Least Favorite= Burn Home, Galaxy away

25. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Good idea--you've had them in the past, so there's a precident, at least...

Lets just get a little more variety and stop the solid colors nonsense. White shorts for KC. Stripes for the new teams. More creative away kits.

The gals looked ok in whites, because the diagonal bar added a bit of color to it. They could do better, of course. The burn need a better away strip, though--at least some hint that you are the team that usually wears red and black!