Worst Designated Player

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Sempuukyaku, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Jeddy Rasp

Jeddy Rasp Member

Feb 10, 2007
    out to lunch
    My bad. Reyna's deal was all down to Arena doing his boy a big favor at the expense of his employers and may have been part of the reason Arena got the can.

2. adambchildress

adambchildress New Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Detroit
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just watched Beckham start for Milan on FSC and I have to say Beckham looked pretty good, I dont know if the competition level is boring him in the MLS, but a few days ago I would have said Beckham was the worst DPL, however after watching him play for 88 minutes I think he has a lot to offer still. Anyway thats my thought on Bex's, I hope he comes back to MLS and that he is reinjuventated and plays like he can still play. I also hope LA uses him much better than they have.

3. theleftside

theleftside Member

May 29, 2007
    Yuma AZ/Oxnard CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reinjuvenated eh?

4. adambchildress

adambchildress New Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Detroit
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol ok so i dont proof read...I am a two finger typer and I try to type fast every post I make will have spelling issues and made up words like reinjuventated lol

5. UShornet

UShornet Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted Gallardo because he brought a lot of hype and hasn't done much. Coming in a close second was Denilson or Reyna, but at least they weren't massively hyped.

And who were the baby geniuses that voted for Angel, Blanco or GBS?

6. Rev Hart

Rev Hart New Member

Aug 6, 2008
    United States
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Duilio Davino also gets My Vote in this one. I don't think Davino did anything of importance last season, good riddance, by the way....

7. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was also not a designated player.

8. ElJustin

ElJustin New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Houston/Buenos Aires
    And whoever put GBS is tripping....hes undoubtedly the greatest DP yet.

9. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, 2009 will be Guille's first year as a DP so only time will tell.

10. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worst DP ever has to be Claudio Reyna. Perennially hurt and never the type of impact player the Red Bulls so desperately needed, Reyna was inexplicably signed to a GUARANTEED two year contract. I know that Denilson leads this poll but even his contract wasn't guaranteed. Dallas showed him the door at the end of his only season there while Reyna continued to hamper the Red Bulls roster.

Also, since GBS hasn't been an actual DP until this off-season, I'm going to vote for Juan Pablo Angel as being the best DP.

11. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Get'em viper.

This is homerism IMO. Fun to pick on a crappy Brazilian here in the US where we are as incredibly insecure about our soccer.

Can't pick on Capt America:rolleyes:. Denilson doesn't come close with regards to detrimental impact to a team. Not even close.

Pure pick on the foreigner because it's fun homerism here. Nothing more, nothing less.

If CR was another nationality, from a major soccer country, he would be way ahead right now.

US sympathy, nostalgia driven, can't pick on a US player homerism at it's worst.

12. ark215

ark215 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    America
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the fact that bolton is even looking at denilson makes reyna seem worse now.

13. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were looking but passed on him. Another article I read revealed he was pissed and his agent claims they weren't given a reason for the snub. I'm sure he showed his true colors of sucking! Maybe they talked to FCD ;)

14. TinManJoshua

TinManJoshua Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Portsmouth FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm gonna have to disagree with all of this. This is how I see it:

In the few games I saw him in, CR didn't help his team on the field, but he was a leader in the locker room. He spent a good deal of time injured. He was a bad signing.

In the few games I saw him in, Denilson tried to take a crap all over this league and collect a big fat payday. His locker room presence seemed non-existant and you could literally see a handful of players frustration with him while playing. Where Reyna didn't make his team any better, Denilson actually made his team WORSE.

And besides, the only people on here bitching about Reyna have been bitter RBNY fans anyway. So your homerism point is moot.

15. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So here we have a Fire fan surmising that Denilson's locker room presence "seemed non-existant" from the few games said Fire fan saw him play (you were in the locker room, were you?). Ok? You're right in that Reyna didn't make his team any better but I don't buy the argument that Denilson actually made his team WORSE from your above assessment. And, once again, Denilson wasn't there this past season for Dallas. Reyna was there in 2007 and the whole of this past 2008 season for the Red Bulls, even after retiring in the summer. The Red Bulls were not allowed to sign another DP in his place as it would have been unfair to other teams (and that's in MLS/Garber logic). So, overall, let me suggest to you, once again, that Reyna was a greater detriment to his team than Denilson was to his. Therefore, Reyna must win the title of worst DP ever. It's just logic, NewFIREFan.

Bitter? Yeah, another Fire fan, still bitter over the whole Osorio/Conde/Marmol affairs, who's not able to look at things objectively. Ha, ha! Give it up already. I'd rather crap on a crappy foreigner, out for a big payday, than crap on the legendary Captain America but I, unlike you, must call it the way it is, not as I want to see it.

16. ark215

ark215 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    America
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they would know it if they just let him train with them. he's definitely less mobile and even some of his old tricks are gone. im glad they passed on him.

17. TinManJoshua

TinManJoshua Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Portsmouth FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, the only ones arguing for Reyna as worst are RBNY fans.

Dallas looked good all of 2007. Denilson came in and all of a sudden they were first round knock outs who really didn't look like they belonged. Wouldn't you call that making the team worse? I mean, remember all the hype they were getting? You can't argue that Denilson didn't literally make FC Dallas worse.

Reyna was only one of the MANY bad pieces of the messed up puzzle that was your stupid club. His presence, both years, were non-sequential at best. He had his part of the blame, yes. Bad signing? Of course... But CR wasn't the only thing wrong. YOU'RE too objective about this to see the truth. "Wah, wah, MY team had it bad because we couldn't replace him after he left, the world is so unfair" By the way, what does RBNY losing their 2nd DP slot after CR's departure have anything to do with the caliber of DP he was?

So you know, Dallas is also a rival of ours, so all your "He's just a FIRE fan who's pissed about Osorio coming here" is pretty stupid. Stop trying to devalue my opinion with assumptions about my motives. It makes you look petty and almost proves I'm right on it's own. Great debating skills you got there buddy.

Furthermore, if I was so miserable about the Osorio/Conde/Marmol shit(we came out on top in all of them, if you ask me), wouldn't you think that I would LOVE the fact that the worst DP ever wore a RBNY shirt? Wouldn't that make more sense? But no, I'm sticking to my guns, Denilson was worse. Again, subjective.

But, by all means, keep grinding that REYNA axe. Your tears make me smile.

18. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    He broke the space-time continuum? That's rad.

19. TinManJoshua

TinManJoshua Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Portsmouth FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Webster's 2nd definition: Of little or no consequence.

Meaning that as much cap space as he wasted, his on-field product wasn't miserable enough to warrant excessive blame for NYRB woes in 2007-08...

Though I'm not saying that he can't break the continuum, at least not without a DeLorean...

20. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Angel got 4 votes?

Some of our posters are smoking dope!

21. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was John O'brien a DP?

22. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whose opionion is not valid apparently because, we're RBNY fans. Again, get over it.

Of course I can. Please refer to your line below about Reyna being only one of the MANY pieces of a puzzle and just replace Reyna's name with Denilson. And, once again, that Denilson, all by himself, took down the great FC Dallas team of 2007 is an argument I'd like to hear from an actual Dallas fan before I start believing it. You know - someone who actually followed Dallas the whole of the 2007 season, not someone who watched a few games and decided that Denilson seemed like a locker room cancer. Once again, your argument is subjective.

Stupid club?? How dare you?? That's right, Reyna was PART of the blame, I agree. Just like I believe that Denilson shared part of the blame for FC Dallas' demise in 2007, not the WHOLE of the blame, as you would have everyone believe. You might not be able to see the big picture here but, hey, that's your problem. My opinion of Reyna being the worst DP has to do with his play (no impact whatsoever when he did play), his lack of play (alway hurt) and his hampering of the Red Bulls roster (cost $400k on the cap for two seasons). Adding to that, the league did not let RBNY add another DP when Reyna retired (not crying here, just stating the fact). I'm not just basing my opinion on just how much he sucked when actually on the field. When one puts all that together, then one has no other choice than to pick Reyna as worst DP so far (in my objective opinion, of course).

Yeah, because someone who chooses to respond with a "Wah, Wah" such a great debater. Yeah, uhuh!:rolleyes: And I'm not trying to devalue your opinion. You're doing that pretty well yourself.

Yeah, I don't see how your organization came out on top of all that, as it was mine that went to the MLS Cup Final. But, again, it takes the ability to look at things objectively to figure that one out. Osorio left, Conde was disgruntled the whole season and probably isn't going to play for your team again. Oh, and Marmol is gone also. And to think that Osorio was actually offering Richards to get Conde over here. Ha, ha! Thank God the Windy City brain trust said no to that one, eh. But please, let it go already. Reyna was worse. Again, objective.

Well, then I'm glad to be able to bring some joy to your life.;)

23. TinManJoshua

TinManJoshua Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Portsmouth FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will say that our FO really blew it by signing him. He sucked. I don't know why you guys wanted him so bad either. Conde still played great even if he was unhappy. We got knocked off by the same team you did, even if you guys lost to them in a later round, I'd call that a wash.

I'm going cheap, agree to disagree. You won't change my mind and I won't change yours. Hell, I've been saying since page 1 Denilson was the worst, I'm sticking to that, you don't have to agree with me, this is all, in fact, subjective. There's no real way to be objective about it, it's an opinion poll. And I've already said my piece, and I'm not going to say it over and over again like it'll do any good.

24. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you mean non-consequential, not non-sequential. Sequential mean "in order", it has nothing to do with consequences, little or none.

I would have let it go, but you also said in your post: too OBJECTIVE, when I think you meant subjective. Objective = detached and unemotional, the realm of empirical facts and truth. Subjective = interpersonal facts, realm of personal bias and personal truths.

25. TinManJoshua

TinManJoshua Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Portsmouth FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nonsequential

Definition number 2. I had the right word, non-consequential isn't even a word.

I did use objective when I meant subjective. It's too late to edit. Thanks for the correction.