Worst Designated Player

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Sempuukyaku, Dec 22, 2008.

1. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I understand, Lopez was physically worn out at a point during the season, but yes he did come back with a second wind and IMO played much better in the last 6-8 weeks of the season. He contributed quite a bit during the playoff stretch. I think the consensus of most KC fans would be to bring him back next season but not at DP money.

2. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just curious then, how much did Dallas pay Davino?

3. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    If not in name, but effect: Lothar Matthaus and Thomas Ravelli.

4. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    By your estimation that statistics alone determine a players worth then players like Paolo Maldini is completely worthless. You do realize that Reyna spent a good portion of his career as either a right back or a defensive midfielder right?

I've said it before, I'll say it again. I don't blame Reyna for being hurt. There are things that are out of a players controll. When he was healthy, he contributed a great deal for NY, and like a said before, if in a different situation where he wasn't playing on concrete I feel he would have had an even more positive impact.

You clearly hate Reyna, and nothing I say will change that. Conversely, nothing you say will convince me that he was a complete wate of $.

5. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read that interview with Onolfo which said the same thing: during the hot summer months Lopez just wasn't up to it and Onalfo used him sparaingly. But he played large down the stretch and helped you guys get in the playoffs, then played pretty well v. the Crew before you guys faltered. Onalfo seemed to infer now knowing what the demands of the league were, he would come into camp in better shape next year, more up to the rigors of the entire season.

Has there been talk he's not coming back as a DP next year? I hadn't heard that.

6. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I picked Reyna...no brainer for me.

7. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Claudio Reyna by far.

Denilson was garbage for half a season and only affected Dallas's cap for one year. Reyna did sh-t all and was a hit to the Redbull cap for 2 years. His signing placed us at a monetary disadvantage to all other teams for 2 years running. This is a no-brainer pick. Dallas got to dump Denilson off after half a season, whereas RedBull fans had to endure Reynas sucktitude, whenever he was even actually healthy enough to play which wasn't much, for 2 years as well as the cap hit. And in this league of 1.8 million dollar caps, having a DP who retires on you early on in the second season and eating that hit to cap is just brutal. Had Reyna retired after his first year and freeing up the cap the next, then yes Denilson is maybe worse but that second year hit for Redbull was just brutal.

Easy freaking choice.

8. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another write in vote for Oldthar...

9. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    First off the cap is around 2.3 million, and I'm curious, if Reyna had played for any other team would you still feel the same? Reyna at least made an effort when he was healthy. Denilson mailed it in every time he stepped on the field.

10. TinManJoshua

TinManJoshua Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Portsmouth FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was so brutal that you guys still waddled your way into the Cup final.

11. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Pibe the kid

Pibe the kid New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Who's the professor that picked Angel as the worst DP? ^_^

13. theleftside

theleftside Member

May 29, 2007
    Yuma AZ/Oxnard CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Denilson. Hands down.

14. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, no option for "the one that wasn't signed?" ;)

Amazing how much shorter some of these threads get when you move 25 duplicate posts to the Recycle Bin!

15. Jeddy Rasp

Jeddy Rasp Member

Feb 10, 2007
    out to lunch
    Davino made 400k so was just under DP status. Throw in Shaka Hislop and FCD has the trifecter of overpayed F'ups.

16. Rev Hart

Rev Hart New Member

Aug 6, 2008
    United States
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Denilson and Claudio Reyna get My Vote. If Duilio were a DP then he'd get My Vote as well because he didn't do anything relevant for F.C Dallas.

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the best thing you can say about a player is how easy he was to get rid of, then he has to be #1 with a bullet:

Denilson

18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing about Denilson (this is me spouting off - you FCD fans will have to let me know how off I am!) is that he didn't hurt Dallas. He didn't take a championship team and upset the balance and all. For someone to be the worst ever, I should think they would need to have a negative effect on the organization and really mess things up.

19. Jeddy Rasp

Jeddy Rasp Member

Feb 10, 2007
    out to lunch

FC Dallas is quite capable of f'in things up by themselves. Denilson hurt Dallas big time by being a total, overpaid washout. After one game even the fifty or so brazilians who had originally showed up quit coming, he was way too embarassing for them.

20. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    The only problem with this logic is that Dallas only signed him for half a year. They were able to get rid of a potetnial mistake if it didn't work out.

With Claudio, the fat over rated donut eating super genuis, who wanted to prove how bad MLS was after 2006 and protect his bloated narcissistic ego, decided to guarantee the over the hill, injury prone, slow Reyna 2 years.:eek:

He would show us in MLS, even though 60% of RB fans knew it was a bad signing from the moment pen was put to paper. CR was gonna make this crap league that cost BA 2006 look foolish. He was gonna show us.

I give it to CR, with a huge assist from the over rated fat man, because we were on the hook for the full two.

At least you were able to get rid of yours quickly.

We had to suffer.

21. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CR was not fat, nor was he over rated. He was old, battered, and injured...that's what made it a bad signing along with the length of the contract. When he was at his best, he was underrated if anything.

22. Jeddy Rasp

Jeddy Rasp Member

Feb 10, 2007
    out to lunch
    28 isn't old unless you let your self go in the off season and Ruiz was a master at this. Showed up every pre season at least 20# overweight, had bad training habits and was'nt willing to pay the price to stay at the top of his game. Anyone connected with FCD knows this to be true.

23. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    By those standards, Gallardo was the worst.

24. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    CR = Claudio Reyna, not Carlos Ruiz. Carlos Ruiz was never, nor will ever be, a Designated Player.

25. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    First off, the fat donut eating genuis is Bruce Arena. The one with the incredible ego who signed an obviously done CR for a guaranteed 2 years for all of the wrong reasons.

In MLS CR was way over rated. Take the emotion out of it, his Euro and Nats career accomplishments. IN MLS he was useless. Even the rare times he played he never made real impacts. Ever.
    For 1.2 mill, 2 guaranteed years, he was a freaking joke in MLS. Worst DP in MLS. CR is right at the top. Easily. Joke. If MLS signs an over the hill Ronaldo to a two year guaranteed contract and he gets hurt, barely plays and i sbeat up do you make th esame lame excuse. He was great once so it's OK if you suck here. As long as you were good once. That' essentially what you are saying. Take the DP spot $$$ and do zilch, you earned it for being great once, who cares how it affects my MLS team.:rolleyes:

Your post makes no sense and is obvioulsy riddled with emotion.
    He wasn't in MLS when you say he was under rated so that has zero to do with this thread. Zilch. Means nothing.
    You say he was old, battered and injured and use that as an emotionally attached apologists excuse. That was the major reason he was a crap DP!
    How hard is tHAT to comprehend? It was obvious also. Bring back and old battered man, with little left in the tank to play in the Swamp on some of the worst turf around - guaranteed. Genuis. Who cares if he couldn't even keep up when he played. He was good for the Nats once. That's important.

Blame BA then.

As a DP, in MLS, CReyna was an absolute waste of space and crap. He never really did anything worthwhile even when he played. For 1.2 mill he was a joke.

Clear enough for ya or are you gonna make more lame excuses?

Note - I love CR and have talked to him several times. Nicest guy out there. A gentleman. Great for the Nats and a fine Euro career. Still has zero to do with NYRB and MLS which is what this thread is about. Get it?