Review: World's Greatest and Weirdest Stadiums?

Discussion in 'Women's Fans and More' started by sbahnhof, Apr 9, 2022.

1. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Now that we've established that women's football can fill any stadium, if the teams are Mexico and Denmark in 1971, where do you want the women's game to be played next?

The Maracanã? Stade de France? Michigan? MCG? Monumental? Nigeria National Stadium? Tokyo Dome?

[​IMG]
    Maracanã, Rio de Janeiro - (img: Daniel Basil, cc-by)

Some of those would work better than others :) but as a secondary question, I'd love to know about the strangest stadiums where football is, or isn't, played.

No, not quite those ones... I was looking coincidentally at crazy stadium sizes as you did last week. Prague is a great city, but it also has the oddest venue - the gargantuan Strahov Stadium, built in the 1920s for the Spartakiad gymnastic shows. Capacity was 220,000 with standing.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s85LPw6juY

This century, Sparta Prague used it for training, but it wouldn't be much good for watching soccer, unless you needed to have 6 games at the same time. The way the men's World Cup is going, who knows?
    [​IMG]

Also, Singapore had this

[​IMG]
    - This is the world’s largest floating stadium – see how it looks!
    - The Float at Marina Bay - Sport Singapore Stadium Guide

Hexa, Bauser and blissett repped this.
  2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hadn't someone posted lately about a Scandinavian stadium built on a little island (or a fjord, or something nordic with a lot of water around anyway :x3:) that looked quite astonishing amongst the sea, the mountains and the snow?

(Sorry I just can't remember which thread it was where it was posted).

3. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    You perhaps mean Henningsvær in Lofoten, Northern Norway? This picture is often mentioned when weird football stadiums are talked about.

[​IMG]

JanBalk, CoachJon, Klingo3034 and 2 others repped this.
  4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, that's what I meant. :)

5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am not sure if it qualifies as "weird"; it sure doesn't qualify as "great" :x3:, but I seldom saw a field that was so close to a railway one as the one in Ponte Lambro, Italy. Ok, you will say: "When we're talking about random fields, they can be built next to anything, from a multiple-lanes expressway to an airport: what even makes that an actual stadium?" :cautious:.

In fact that's what I would like to ask too: what does qualify as a stadium for the scope of this thread? Of course, we decide, but I am open to suggestions about the criteria. If having been used as a venue for a major women league is enough, than the field in Ponte Lambro qualifies! Como, a team currently in Italian 2nd Division, use it as their home field: in the photo below, you can see a screenshot from a Coppa Italia's match that was played on 29th of January of this year, but some years ago, when Como was playing in Serie A femminile (I guess we're talking around 2012-2013), I went there to watch a Como-Napoli match featuring a very young Valentina Giacinti and Japanese veteran Emi Yamamoto both playing for Napoli. Back then, the very kind of local train you can see in the picture brought me there and then I sat on the standings that are opposite to the railway-line (so they can't be seen in the picture, although it's the actual "stadium-part" of the venue, if you want to call it this way), and I remember I was finding it funny when, from time to time, a train was passing just a few meters behind and above the players. :)

[​IMG]

Of course, there are probably hundreds fields like this one, around the world, but not all of them are used for a major division match, are they? :p And then I basically only wanted an excuse to post a funny picture! :laugh:

Weltmann repped this.
  6. Weltmann

Weltmann Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Reminds me of this on in Slovakia.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    https://www.amusingplanet.com/2019/05/trains-through-football-stadium.html

blissett and JanBalk repped this.
  7. blissett

blissett Member+