World's Current Best Player

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Ronaldinho11, Apr 23, 2004.

1. aorig

aorig New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Who said Ronaldo has a better shot than Henry? They are not even close. Henry wins by a landslide. Their other attributes are ever debatable.

2. Tecos

Tecos Member+

Apr 8, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    Tecos UA de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Landslide? Give me a break, they are even at best, you could argue the Ronaldihno is better from outside the box.

3. peruytu

peruytu Member

Jan 19, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I like this format so:

1. Ronaldinho 2. Henry 3. Zidane 4. Ronaldo --at the moment
    1. Zidane 2. Henry 3. Ronaldinho 4. Hagi :p -- past few years

Peru y tu?

4. blanquiroja redded

Jun 1, 2004
    New Jersey
    Thank God no one put Beckham on that list.

5. its called football

its called football New Member

May 18, 2004
    LA, for now
    Why only strikers or attacking midfielders to choose from. In 1999 Roy Keane was best player in the world. Viera deserves a mention, as do Ayala and Nesta.I'd certainly rather build a team round Viera than any of his france team mates. They would make nice adornments, he would be the heart. Look at the effect Makelele's departure has had on Real too. Equally Steven Gerrard was argualbly more infuential at Liverpool than Henry was at Arsenal this season.
    It's almost as if you watch Nike and Adidas adverts rather than football matches.

6. AjaX.amSterdam

AjaX.amSterdam New Member

May 20, 2004
    The Netherlands
    I voted Zinedine Zidane !! Because I think he's the best !! :p

7. soji22

soji22 Member+

Juventus FC
    France
    Feb 8, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    In the aftermath of France's World Cup 1998 and Euro 2000 triumphs, for me, Zidane was the undisputed king of world football. However, over the past two seasons or so, Thierry Henry has been making a strong case for being included among the top five best players on earth. While witnessing Zidane's creative genius is always a treat, Henry's searing pace, close control, and ever-improving finishing makes me drool. Euro 2004 is his chance to cement his place as the Promethean player of his generation.

8. angrywhiteman

angrywhiteman Member

May 26, 2004
    CO Mountains
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed

I took a poll of my american-footballing friends and the only two real footballers thay could name were Freddy Adu and David Beckham... just sad.

9. its called football

May 18, 2004
    LA, for now
    No Landon Donovan? ;)

10. www.stgeorgeforum.tk

Jun 6, 2004
    Adisham
    Has to be Henry, no one else has matched him this year in terms of performence. Not even ronaldo, and the brazilian have come close!

11. LEPE

LEPE New Member

May 5, 2004
    ..................................................................................

You mean the 'best' player that had a great team behind
    him and together they had a great year??
    Then, yes, Henry,Zidane, Ronaldinho!!
    But if you mean the best player skillwise, complete, who
    made the biggest mistake of his life to go to Wolsfburg, then that player is ...Andres D'alesandro!!!!

Cristiano Ronaldo.....will catch up with all of them soon!!

12. f.c._porto

f.c._porto New Member

May 4, 2004
    London, Ontario
    umm... Henry is good, but hes really just a striker, and not alroud player, thought a striker is important, Zidane is a leader as well as an incrediable playmaker, Henry is good, but Zidane is better. the other two have teeth problems.

13. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    Ronaldo is the best player. Before his myriad operations he was probably as good as Pele (excepting in heading prowess). Even now, on his day, he can demolish any team with consummate ease. Poor Argentina understood what domination is on a football pitch. When the going gets tough for others, he inevitably comes to the rescue. Real Madrid slump started when Ronaldo became injured this season. Ronaldinho is incredibly skilled with great technical ability. Zidane is elegant. One of the most elegant players I have seen. Thierry Henry is not quite at the same level. None of the other three would have missed sitters like Henry in recent games. His miss against Ukraine in the penalty box was unthinkable. Such incidents might happen to other players, but never to the other three as they are too superior technically. Moreover, Henry is simply not a big match player unlike the other three.

14. dannydee

dannydee New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    canada

15. dannydee

dannydee New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    canada
    your absoultly right the no mention of the great italian national player's the ROBERTO BIAGGIO'S,Paolo maldini,scirea,the great mazzola,or germany's great klinsmann,it's a world class sport so your absoultly right,I'd like to know how they select current's best....there's no one that might really know unless they traveled every inch of every single nation,country,or some little village that has that star rating as world's current best player..then start to rate them no offence...like the africian nations,eastern europe,the asians,and the boy's down under the aussie...replying to that great thread dee.

16. DanRod78

DanRod78 New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Kansas City, KS
    Ronaldinho played for PSG and then all the big teams wanted him, shouldn't D'alessandro be able to do the same???

Cristiano Ronaldo, what does he do besides stepovers?
    English fans think that he's the greatest because of that.
    I'd like to see Mr. Cristiano Ronaldo trying to do a "Ronaldinho flip-flap" in a game.
    http://www.ronaldistyle.com/barcelonastyle.html

17. its called football

May 18, 2004
    LA, for now
    I went to the provided link and was amazed by how so much skill around the box resulted in so few goals. One of the clips is actually of Ronaldinho just giving the ball away, albeit in a very fancy way (180 I think) and another see's him delicately chipping the ball into the keepers hands from the edge of the box! I figure that they are just very poorly chosen clips.
    And how old is saying all C. Ronaldo can do is stepovers and dive?

18. vico

vico Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    after this eurocup i expect that noone suggests zidane or henry as the current best players in the world

19. LEPE

LEPE New Member

May 5, 2004
    ...............................................................................

C'mon, Dan , you;re one of the most experienced posters here,learn how to read my ..post!
    i never said that Ronaldo is the best player in the world right now ,I said that 'he will catch up with all of them soon!!
    And you are wrong also about the stepovers, as you could see very well that he does a lot more than that,crosses.shots, goals, defence! he got two free kicks on its own , close to the goal, and Figo wasted them!!

You are being unfair to Ronaldo!! Anyone could see that the stepovers are not only part of his style but also part of his skill, the dribling in full speed ,and therefore to trick and pass the deffender,or cross!!
    And i have to say that although he misses few, most of the time he does something good for the team!!
    He will get better with experience!!

In regards to D'Alessandro, In my opinion he s still the best in the world at that age bracket( 23 and under).
    He was badly advised by his agent with the Wolsfburg choice,But I hope soon we will see his potential in a major european team or even back at ..River, where he was mesmerizing!!
    At this moment, at least the past 9 months or so, Yes,Ronaldino seems to be the preffered choice!!
    And you know what, who cares, Thank God we have so many great young players in the world that will keep this sport, beautiful and intriguing for a long time!!
    Just look at this list, whatver i can remeber on the spot, and maybe some names I can not spell right,but look what expects us in the next 10 years or so::

D'alessandro, Kaka, C. Ronaldo, Rooney, Ronaldinho, Robben,
    Van der vaart, Postina, Reyes, Torres, Diego, Robinho,
    O'shea, Both Coles, Ibrahimovich, Cavenaghi, Tevez, Schveis,,...something,the german, Quaresma, Baros,Heinz,
    Petrov, 2 croats,2-3 romanians(Mitea-Ajax, Zicu-Parma, Plesan, Neaga, you will know them soon!)and of course, dozens of others more, from many countries that don;t have the priviledge of a lot of exposure and publicity yet!!

I wish some of you could add to this amazing list yet!
    I'm not as much a statistics buff as most of you!!
    Don;t be so one sided,Dan, see the whole package!!

20. England Fan

England Fan New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    CHRISTIANO RONALDO IS ******** AND THE ENGLISH FANS THINK THAT LIKE ME
    ONLY MAN UTD FANS THINK THAT HE IS GOOD

21. England Fan

England Fan New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Rooney In A Few Years Will Be The Best Player Ever He Was The Best Player At Euro 2004 And He Is Only 18 Soon He Will Be The Best

22. RUBBISH!!!!!!!!and please stop insulting the world!!

23. Perugina

Perugina Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Grand Rapids MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a biased poll, no defenders or goalkeepers

24. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester
    Ronaldinho. Bar none.

Come on, Arsenal fans, get real. Yes, Henry is the best striker in the world but surely you must stop cheating yourselves to this extent. Best player in the world? No. That's Ronaldinho, then Zizou, then maybe he has a chance.

25. howaythetoon

howaythetoon New Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Jarra, Tyneside
    I don't rate Henry as the best in the world. The quality of defences in England is weaker than those in Spain. In Spain sides like Celta Vigo are relegated while playing Champions League football, in England sides like Charlton and Bolton meanwhile finish in the top 8.

Many people point at Henry's assists rate, but he only got 6 assists last season, about average for a good striker. People point at the fact he scored 30 goals in 37 games, but in their prime Andy Cole and Alan Shearer each managed 34 goals in just as many games in the Premiership.

If you put Ronaldo or Ronaldinho into a side like Arsenal they would take some of these Premiership defences by storm.