World's Current Best Player

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Ronaldinho11, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is Totti? :confused:
    If I were to pick one player to start a team right now it would be Totti.

2. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It doesn't exist such thing "best player in the world" but if I had to choose one I'd say Totti.

if I need a goalkeeper I wouldn't buy henry, zidane or totti being them whatever you want.

Henry is not the best midfielder in the world
    Ronaldinho is not the best defender in the world
    Totti is not the best goalkeeper in the world
    Zidane is not the best forward.

3. slimjim2400

slimjim2400 New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Trinidad
    All of the players are very talented; but when it comes to henry, he is a step above the rest. this guy led a counter attack, from a corner from the opposing team, which ended up scoring. he is a danger in the midfield and in the front. he has got to be the best player. :cool:

4. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    But where is he during the big games???

5. Bully

Bully New Member

May 9, 2002
    London

He single handedly destroyed Roma and Inter Milan but noooooooo he wouldn't score in Italy.

6. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I dont understand...

Are we basing the poll on just this season alone? Or last years included?

Are we establishing at this very moment that the best players in the world must be flashy and must all play attacking roles??

Are we asserting that all 4 picked players have had or have a solid career?

Is it their current form that counts? National team expertise??

Notice that each of these questions either exclude 1 or more person(s) from the pole or, brings to the mind certain biases that the consensus has involving 'best players'. Not to mention that every name considered either has a French or Latin background, which in today's game is not always the case.

7. NPP_GOONER

NPP_GOONER New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    LONDON
    but isnt the question 'AT THE MOMENT' i wouldnt say he is the best at the moment its got to be THIERRY

8. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Okay. If it is "at the moment" then why isn't Totti, or Gerrard on the pole?

9. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Freddy Adu.

;) :p

10. NPP_GOONER

NPP_GOONER New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    LONDON
    Thieery henry has just won the premiership with arsenal and has reached 29 goals in the league with still 4 games left,
    Although i admit Totti and Gerrard carry there teams i feel henry has everything

11. Sir Martin Keown

Sir Martin Keown New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Germany
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Gerrards not there yet, maybe if he performs at Euro 2004. Vieira would be a more obvious candidate for best combative midfielder. My vote is Zizou, he's still untouchable and will be the difference in Euro.

12. SpeedyGonzalez

SpeedyGonzalez New Member

Jan 19, 2004
    ireland
    1.Ronaldinho 2.Henry 3.Totti 4.Zidane --at the moment
    1.Zidane 2.Ronaldinho 3.Henry 4.Shevchenko --overall

13. kaberon10

kaberon10 New Member

Aug 10, 2002
    Evanston
    I am confused by why only a few people have discussed Ronaldo. He scores more often than Henry (without taking penalties), comes up huge in big games (CL last year v ManU, WC final, etc.) has better skills than Henry, is faster and quicker than Henry, can shoot better than Henry - why aren't people seeing this? Zidane is still amazing but can't do it every game like he used to be able to. Ronaldinho is quickly rising to be among the top players in the world (as is Kaka), but still can be marked out of games sometimes.

14. dienasty

dienasty New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Silent Earth
    im changing my mind. ronaldinho after la superclasico

15. kaberon10

kaberon10 New Member

Aug 10, 2002
    Evanston
    Also - I forgot - Henry builds up his goal record with a lot of goals against mediocre teams - Leeds, etc. They count just as much as any other goal, true, but when you need a goal in a crunch situation; France in the WC, Arsenal in the CL v.Chelsea, he isn't dependable, while Ronaldo is. At the same age, Ronaldo has done much much more than Henry, will continue to do so, and will go down as one of the generation's top players, alongside Zidane.

16. NPP_GOONER

NPP_GOONER New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    LONDON
    Yea but its the fact that Henry scores in them games aswel Leeds etc, and look at the goal he scxored against Man U. There is no way on earth that Ronaldo is quicker than Henry, he can accelerate quicker but he is not faster, Ronaldos finishing is superb but Henry is the same, but how can you say it is better than Henry's, his work rate is bad, and he does not set up as many goals as Henry,

17. lfc_jambo_lfc

lfc_jambo_lfc New Member

Apr 27, 2004
    really there is no way to decide, I suppose it all comes to a matter of opinion

18. -GoalUSA10-

-GoalUSA10- New Member

Apr 27, 2004
    USA
    It could come down to a personal opinion on who "the best" is, but based on the huge changes in the game every season, Ronaldinho is currently the BEST player in the world. He brings back the class, skills and joy to the game that was first only seen in a player like Maradona. He has the skills of a playmaking/attacking midfielder, and is equally as deadly in front of goal(except in the game with Madrid towards the end when I think he felt bad for Madrid so didn't finish...J/K). Ronaldinho is not only exciting and unpredictable, but he is a reliable teammate that gives his best in every game, no matter how strong or weak the opponent may be...BTW, Pele and Maradona themselves have said that Ronaldinho is the best in the world.

19. arsenalgirl30016

Dec 10, 2003
    Flo Rida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And to the poster who asked if Henry is so good why no hat tricks against Man U and Chelsea? Well has anyone scored a hat trick against either team this year? Don't think so. Another thing about Henry is that he is not selfish. If he is not the actual goal scorer he is usually involved in some way. He creates chances for others.

Henry has scored 29 premiereship goals to Ronaldos 24 La Liga goals. Both have had 15 games in the season where they did not score. If you take out Henry's 6 goals from Penalties, then he is still only 1 total goal behind Ronaldo and if you take ROnaldos 1 goal away for Penalty then they are even again. However, Ronaldo's team is not unbeaten this season and they have Zindane on the team also. So if they are 2 of the worlds best players why isn't their team doing better? Granted they are only 1 point behind Valencia but they are the supposed Galacticos or whatever......

I am not taking anything away from the other players, but Henry has had an exceptional year and the poll was "at the moment"-That can only mean Henry.....

20. arsenalgirl30016

Dec 10, 2003
    Flo Rida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way, I do know how to spell Zidane-sorry~ :)

21. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Zidane in a landslide.

When I saw him play, it seemed he was on another level, even with Roberto Carlos, Figo and Ronaldo on the same field.

If you think that Arsenal have a chance to go unbeaten in La Liga, then that is the saddest/funniest thing I've read in a while.

?

You gotta be joking.

22. arsenalgirl30016

Dec 10, 2003
    Flo Rida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually no I wasn't joking and I never even tried to insinuate that Arsenal could be unbeaten in La Liga but they don't play in the same league or in the same position so it is really a moot point. Just pointing out some stats.

23. PeletoFreddy

PeletoFreddy New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    North Carolina
    I think Ronaldinho is amazing skilled. He is probably the best one v. one player in the world. His creativeness is extremely entertaining to watch.

24. Tony the French

Feb 28, 2002
    French Rivieria
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Ask to Henry : "who is the best ?"
    his answer is "ZIZOU !!"

Ask to Ronaldo : "who is the best ?"
    his answer is "ZIZOU !!"

Nuff said !!

25. KrystianR9

KrystianR9 New Member

Feb 5, 2004
    i dont know..henry is been very impressive this year....ronaldhinio is good too and there is still alot in front of him.
    Zidane is greatest Player in europe overall...he is still very good but 2 years ago he was better.

Hmm ronaldo....the best srtiker in the world in past 15-20 years. The knee injury made him get bigger. we wil have to wait a while to see again striker like ronaldo at the level when he was played for inter and barcelona. Thiss vote went for him hees my favorite player but maybe not the best. But still top 5 in la liga (#1 striker in la liga) only I would say henry can campare with ronaldo right now as a forward.

Ronaldo hope you hit 35 nect year since this year you got injuries.

Goales dont matter but ronaldo scored 95% of nice goales this year.....He would have more goales than henry if he didnt get hurt and if he would take PKs. Well figo is the best at them and no one else would take them in real unless figo wouldnt be playing.

REAL RULZ