World Rivalries

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Huss, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Has been moved to NSR. We don't like having new visitors to the site seeing it at the top of the page.

We are debating whether to keep the forum.

2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Pretty good idea. No complaints about that. Would it be best to move all of the rivalries boards to the one area, so that they can all be pulled if the need arises?

3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I actually think that's a terrible idea. Its just going to direct posters to the other parts of the site first (where WR standards aren't encouraged) and will encourage WR frequenters to go to the other NSR boards which are nothing like WR. (Well, other than the Politics board sometimes, but that's been cleaned up somewhat well.) As for not keeping the forum - I think we need a toxic waste dump. It has to go somewhere.

4. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    I think we should experiment.

Let's close the board down for 2 weeks and see what happens. If chaos ensues reopen it, if nothing happens keep the situation as it is.

The standard there has slipped anyway. Funny discussions and piss-takes just end up turning into bitchslap between two Mexicans/Asians/Central Americans/Iranians/a.n.other annoying nationalities here...

5. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    *sigh*

Looks as if other NSR has vanished.... :(

Damn, I liked that place, it wasn't as neurotic and full of cliques like FFA is...

Looks like I choose the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

6. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we've got a Culture and Technology thesis in the making here, based on a natural experiment. Are WR posters born or made? Is a newbie who first encounters The Home of Le Sexy Football more likely to be wind up a good netizen of BS than those who first hit WR and stuck there?

And as an epilogue, if BS has its appendix--in the form of WR--removed entirely, does the body stay healthy or does the infection of prepubescent thumb typers spread and cause systemic chaos? Do u no? Duz ne1?

7. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    So what if it's a never ending bitchfight? God forbid people should be allowed to argue and insult each other. There's no need to sanitise the board, it's football not Disney.

8. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    World Rivalries is the only forum that makes the Politics forum look even remotely sane.

9. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Nature v Nuture of BS posters. Facinating concept.

First time I hit WR it was bad, but nowhere near the level it is now.

At least so called noobs could waltz into WR have a laugh or two and go out realtively unscathed. Now its everyman for himself, and unless you have a wall of rep - god help you.

10. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ¿Wouldn't that actually say more about the use for a rep system than Rivalries itself?

11. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    If the mods do their job then there won't be any problems.

12. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Don't you dare touch WR! What would become of the Dumbest Post threads?

13. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    In my opinion, close down all "Rivalries" boards, at least as an experiment. Such boards only create bad blood between two sets of fans, which spills over into the main boards.

14. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Keep it. After all this isn't Xtratame...

15. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bloody Yanks, think they own the place. :rolleyes:

16. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Who'd want to mod a NSR World Rivalries forum?

17. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Crap happens anyway, it's best that there's a dumping ground for it to go in.

18. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Keep WR and give it back the exposure it had. New visitors are not any different from the old visitors when they started visiting, "you surf till you find your turf", besides studies have been done that suggests "trolling" is a fact of surfing even for adults on an occasional basis. Teach em to treat it like a playground; get all the energy out in there and leave relieved. with the exception of Huss, I have seen everybody else in this thread troll, Huss probably got a "trolling ID". :p

19. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    There other rivalries boards, I _think_ serve a purpose and keep clutter out of the other forums in teh categories. WR just makes us look bad. It was created for teh same purpose but we have yet to find a group of mod who can handle all of it.

20. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Are you drunk?

21. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    ahh,one more thing, about forum description, instead of all that rambling about racism, name calling,....,just remind everyone that it's a playground with very liberal set of rules, and nothing in this forum should be taken seriousely.

22. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    I think the steps that were taken on the Politics board should be taken with the WR board imo.

Let's weed out the annoying bastards and get some new rules down...

23. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Post fixed.

I think the supermods should also admit their share of guilty for this. They are the ones who allow the jmarquez1976 of life return to the site after already been banned.

24. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as MLS:Fan Rivalries isn't touched, there actually is team smack in there and I've never seen a single racist comment. It's more light-hearted than WR.

25. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    World Rivalries was at the top of the page, I believe, because of the ease at which to move World Cup 2002 off-topic piss-takes into the forum and the posts in there were hardly as bad as they are now (you can thank jmarquez/metro24freak for the recent 11 months of crapiness). Logistics really... I don't think it was ever really meant to stay at the top of the page, just that nobody got around to thinking about or finding a suitable home. In the process, the forum kind of took a life of it's own and morphed into a mutated version of it's original self.

I don't think moving the forum is a bad idea at all BUT I do believe moving it into NSR is a bad idea. The forum had it's fair share of vile and useless crap, but it shouldn't be in the NSR forum. That renders it pretty much useless from what the forum was also originally tailered to be. Without question there has actually been some decent "discussion" in the forum in addition to the bantar.

Here's an idea though and maybe it should be setup as somewhat of a vote: Have a general "Rivalries" section. Why not just set-up a section that's below the football discussion forums - below the "On The Field" section that would be dedicated to all the rivalries boards. In the "Rivalries" forum, you could have MLS rivalries, UK rivalries, Asian Rivalries or any and all of them. But that would be the designated section. I think that'd be better than it just being dumped into the NSR section. I also think managing that area would be a bit better because you'd have more collective help from the moderators there. That way you'd still have a relatively central location for forum mods to move the threads to and new posters would have to have seen all of the other football related forums before the site's armpits.

Heck, I'd step out of 'WR Modding retirement' if you want and help out with it.