World Player of the Year short list, who gets your vote?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dr. Boots, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. But I do give FIFA credit for at least getting the top three right this year.

2. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    my vote goes to Ronnie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

remember that line about him? "he could eat an apple through a mail slot"

:D :D

3. christosap

christosap New Member

Jul 12, 2004
    adelaide
    i vote for sheva, out of the 3 he deserves it the most, but with decos exclusion you can see that deserving it isn't always enough, the award has been a joke from the beginning so henry will probably win it, it has no credibility so who really cares.

4. Revelian

Revelian Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Midgar
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Forget all these namby pamby players.

The top three in the world are:

Robert Earnshaw
    David Thompson
    Massimo Taibi

There. My hat is now in the ring.

Revelian - the man whose football knowledge exceeds his knowledge of football.

5. CdnBhoy67 redded

CdnBhoy67 redded Red Card

Dec 2, 2004

Any more details on him, have not heard of this youngster,although celtic are suppose to being signing a 16 year old from Vancouver who is suppose
    to be one of our brightest talents. The future looks bright for the Bhoys.

6. moose8008

moose8008 New Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Deco is a good player but he has become overrated. I must admit I don't follow the Portuguese league closely, but I watched almost all of Porto's games in the knockout stage of the CL last season, and I have watched every Barca game this season. I also watched Portugal's games in the Eurocup. He is no doubt a valuable player to a team but I don't think he is one of the best players in the world. I hate judging individuals based on their team's accomplishments. Soccer is a team game. There are many reasons porto won the CL beyond Deco's play. They were a solid all-around team with a strong defense and well-coached by Mourinho.

I said the same thing a couple of years ago when people were talking alot of nonsense about how Roberto Carlos should be POY because Brasil won the WC and Real Madrid won the CL.

7. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Re: Ronaldihno

LOL, I made that Ronaldinho Clip. It sure gets around.

Henry will undersevingly win this award.

8. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    1) Just started, that's a mere myth, Adriano's been fairly prolific in Serie A, the main reason he hasn't been heard of the way he should is because he's moved around a lot in Italy, and had some injury woes, the talent has always
    been there.

What has Henry done for Arsenal in Europe outside of the EPL, when all the marbles were on the line? He did nothing over 2 legs vs. Chelsea in the CL, which is surprising considering Arsenal has owned Chelsea for sometime. 36 All time CL goals mean nothing because we're discussing 2004 exclusively when stating FIFA P.O.T.Y. Euro 2004 was a joke for Henry as well. When the pressure is on the line in a knockout stages match, Henry hasn't delivered
    . Adriano scored 7 goals at CopaAmerica, last second equalizer vs. Argentina
    when defeat looked imminent. Scoring at will for Inter.

2) Ronaldinho, again you mentioned his form at Barca, and what he's done in helping resurrect them. But no one mentions, what has he done in the NT? He hasn't replicated the Barca form in a Brazil shirt. Not even close when I watch Brazil's friendlies and qualifiers. Adriano has performed well for both the NT and his club side. Ronaldinho hasn't shown me anything for Brazil.
    special for Brazil this year.

9. romagol10

romagol10 Member

Jul 23, 2003
    CO
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shevchenko should win it. He lead Serie A in scoring last season and is the only one doing it for Milan this season. Ukraine wasn't in Euro 2004 but he has done well for them lately and they aren't exactly a powerhouse.

10. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    I can live with Shev as FIFA WPY, no real complaints about him being nominated. However I'd be happier with him winning Ballon D'or and Adriano
    winning the FIFA award on the basis of his Copa America performances.

As for Ronaldinho, I'm not overly sold on him considering he's been rather ordinary for the Brazil NT compared to how he's played at Barca. I'd have liked
    to have seen Adriano nominated instead of him.

As for Thierry Henry........next player please.

11. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    Well, that's settled...

Ronaldinho scoops World Soccer Player of Year award

LONDON, Dec 9 (Reuters) - Brazilian Ronaldinho was named World Soccer magazine's Player of the Year on Thursday with Jose Mourinho winning Manager of 2004 and Greece taking the Team award.

Barcelona's Ronaldinho came top with 28.6 per cent of the readers' poll, beating Thierry Henry of Arsenal (22.2 per cent) and Andriy Shevchenko of AC Milan.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/feedstory/0,14546,-4663325,00.html

12. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Well, that's settled...

World Soccer usually gets them right. Although my picks differed slightly, I voted Sheva, Porto, and Mourinho. I can't argue with Ronaldinho, Greece, or Mourinho because all deserved it. But I do see a bit of English bias with Arsenal getting more votes than Porto.

13. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004
    Re: Well, that's settled...

Congratulations to Ronaldinho.
    He deserves the award.
    Since he moved to Barca, he has done a great job, and he should be the most improved player this year.
    So, it was a right and fair decision that FIFA has given him an award