World Futsal Championship [R]

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by SueB, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Re: World Futsal Championship [R] - no results visible before TV broadcast

My only question would be . Why does the US send a bunch of MISL players rather than the best of the best in all leagues: MISL, MLS and A-League? this isn't indoor soccer they are playing. There are no boards to blast the ball off of. This game takes great dribbling skill and passing ability both of which MISL players have little of.

I'm very dissapointed at our play. We may have made the second round but boy is it awful looking soccer we play.!! ouch!!

2. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ

Nations like Portugal, Spain, Italy they alreay have profissional leagues, its time for the americans to have there own league and forget about MISL, USL and MLS players, just not going to work
    its a complete different sport

3. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Well, the US lost to Ukraine 3-1 and cannot advance. Still, it was a valiant run given that, as Frank says, these guys barely ever play the game of futsal. But I don't think there will be a pro futsal league in the USA anytime soon. There is really no market for it.

It's fun to play - I love to play futsal - and it's perfect for winter training, especially here in the northeast. I hope more and more indoor facilities for youth clubs are built with futsal fields instead of boarded fields. Here in Vermont, the premier youth club built a facility with boards, but it didn't take long for them to consider changing to futsal as it is much safer and places more emphasis on ball skills. Not sure if they ever made the change though.

Anyway, it's much more important for US Soccer to focus on the "real" thing (outdoor soccer), which is at least on the radar of the US sports world - as opposed to futsal, which is barely even on the radar of the US SOCCER world. Getting to the round of 8 was a nice success for this team.

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

Spot-on on all points.

5. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA

It's simple: the place was probably built with a possible changeover to ice hockey in mind.

The thing is, the futsal court, the team handball court, and the indoor field hockey court are IDENTICAL. However, the latter two have perhaps even less of a toehold in the U.S. than futsal. But ya know what would be cool? The NGBs of all three of these indoor sports getting together to help develop the facilities. But that's just me.

6. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Re: US Futsal - thread for discussing results before games are on TV [R]

The US finishes their campaign with an honorable 8-5 loss to Brazil in a meaningless game for both sides (Brazil already through and US already out).

Butcher, Ball, White, Torres and Beasley scored for the USA.

US quickly fell behind 3-0 but came back to 3-1 at halftime. Then Brazil made it 5-2 before US cut it to 5-4, then it was 6-4 and back to 6-5 until two Brazilian goals in the final minute made the final score. Only Argentina has played a closer game with Brazil in this tournament.

7. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yep, honorable is the right words...Sojme strides need to be made, but overall a good showing....

Brazil (if i were to judge by the amazing goal i saw them score vs. Thailand) is one loaded and talented team......

8. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

You mean the one where the guy picked the ball up with his heels, flicked it over his legs and volleyed it into the net in one smooth motion? Yes, that was pretty amazing.

9. Damon

Damon Member

Jul 1, 2001
    Evansville, IN, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A fantastic point! Because futsal is w/o walls, it does seem that our MLS/A-League/overseas guys could really help out. And I don't look for a pro futsal league to sprout up anytime soon. With MISL having a long history, and it's share of fans that LOVE indoor but wouldn't be caught dead at any other soccer event, it's not going away.
    I think our best-case scenario is to use MISL players AND outdoor players as well. If we have guys truly interested in specializing in futsal, then let's try to get them to Europe/S. America to play. I really doubt there's much of an interest though. I would bet that almost all of the guys on our futsal NT would jump at the chance to leave MISL/futsal behind and move outside to make bigger money. Not that they're money grubbers, just that I bet they don't see themselves as indoor/futsal players only. I mean, they probably didn't grow up wanting to become futsal legends! I see the FIFA Futsal Championships simply as something they're honored to participate in, but not what they'd like to be known forever for playing in . . .