World Futsal Championship [R]

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by SueB, Nov 16, 2004.

1. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    US Futsal - thread for discussing results before games are on TV [R]

Since I suggested tagging all results in the main Futsal World Championships thread between the times games finish and the time they are shown on Galavision (12-14 hrs later), I thought it might be nice to have a thread for discussing the US game results before then.

So here it is:-

Big win for the US today as they beat Paraguay 3-1.

FIFA's article about the game:
    http://www.fifa.com/en/news/feature/0,1451,104197,00.html?articleid=104197

Italy beat Japan 5-0 so that leaves the Group C standings at:-

Italy 6 pts (+8 goal difference)
    USA 3 pts (-1)
    Paraguay 3 pts (-1)
    Japan 0 pts (-6)

The USA needs to beat Japan and hope Paraguay does not beat Italy to advance to the next round. If the US wins and Paraguay does beat Italy, then the tie would be broken by a mini-table of goal difference/goals scored among the three teams. Italy is at +3/6, USA at -1/6, and Paraguay at -2/1.
    If Paraguay defeats Italy by 1 but scores less than 5 goals - or if Paraguay wins by 5 or more (unlikely) - the USA would still advance. Let's just hope Paraguay doesn't win. :)

The USA COULD also advance with a tie (if Paraguay loses or ties) or even a 1-goal loss in which they score at least 2 goals (if Paraguay loses).

2. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
  3. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Re: World Futsal Championship [R] - no results visible before TV broadcast

Now that the game was on Tv, here's the result and situation for the US that I posted in the other thread:

FIFA's article about the game:
    http://www.fifa.com/en/news/feature...rticleid=104197

Italy beat Japan 5-0 so that leaves the Group C standings at:-

Italy 6 pts (+8 goal difference)
    USA 3 pts (-1)
    Paraguay 3 pts (-1)
    Japan 0 pts (-6)

The USA needs to beat Japan and hope Paraguay does not beat Italy to advance to the next round. If the US wins and Paraguay does beat Italy, then the tie would be broken by a mini-table of goal difference/goals scored among the three teams. Italy is at +3/6, USA at -1/6, and Paraguay at -2/1.
    If Paraguay defeats Italy by 1 but scores less than 5 goals - or if Paraguay wins by 5 or more (unlikely) - the USA would still advance. Let's just hope Paraguay doesn't win.

The USA COULD also advance with a tie (if Paraguay loses or ties) or even a 1-goal loss in which they score at least 2 goals (if Paraguay loses).

4. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
  5. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

And US Soccer's report about the Paraguay game:-

http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=128341

I thought Phillips was very impressive in goal and wondered why he didn't play in the Italy game - turns out he arrived to the tournament late after his wife just had a baby.

6. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004

Come on US !!!!!!!!

7. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

The US-Japan game kicks off this morning at 7 am EST. It's being shown on Galavision at 12 midnight Eastern and Pacific. www.ussoccer.com is covering the game live via MatchTracker, as is www.fifa.com.

Prior to the TV broadcast, please discuss the result of the game in this other thread:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152598

8. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
  9. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Re: US Futsal - thread for discussing results before games are on TV [R]

At halftime, USA leads 1-0 on a 14th-minute goal by Andy Guastaferro. Meanwhile, Italy has a slim 2-1 lead over Paraguay.

10. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Final score is 1-1. Paired with Italy's win over Paraguay, the US advances to the second group stage. Their opponents will be Ukraine, and the Group B and D winners, who are likely to be Brazil and Argentina. Needless to say, tough task ahead to finish in the top 2 spots and advance to the semifinals. Still, advancing is a great success for the US.

The second group phase games will be played Sunday, Monday and Wednesday.

11. Jawz10

Jawz10 Moderator

Feb 27, 1999
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    AC Milan

I love futsal.

Just wanted to say that... Happy Thanksgiving Sue!

12. B5KoshYou

B5KoshYou New Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Lafayette, Indiana

Awesome!!! So hopefully we'll get to see at least 3 more games on TV. Perhaps my friends who have never heard of futsal will be a bit more interested if the USA games are vs powerhouses like Brazil.

Now, if I can just convince the local sports complex owners that futsal is the way to go for indoor soccer...

13. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001

Yup, Galavision will show USA/Japan at Midnight Eastern AND Pacific tonight, or technically, Friday morning.

Set your Tivos.

14. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle

Saw the Japanese goal replayed only once and couldn't see it very clearly, but didn't the guy basically punch the ball into the net?

15. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

I didn't manage to stay up and see the game last night, but the USA tied Japan while Italy beat Paraguay, so the US moves on to the next round. They play Argentina on Sunday, Ukraine on Monday and Brazil on Wednesday. I haven't seen any info on the Galavision telecasts although it would seem likely that at least the Argentina and Brazil games would be shown.

16. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001

Yup, it was a handball.

17. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001

USA versus Argentina
    Sunday November 28th at 4PM Eastern, 3PM Central on Galavision.

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

Piece 'a cake!

Let's be honest, we tend to rate these teams based on the reps' of their outdoor teams, and Argentina could suck at Futsal, though the odds are they don't.

I know Brazil is the two-time defending champs in this event, though they've struggled this time. Still, they're still the team to beat so if the US is going to advance, they're gonna need to get at least a draw vs. Argentina and beat Ukraine, preferably by more than what Argentina beats Ukarine by.

Regardless, congrats to the US team and to the MISL. This reflects well on the league.

19. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001

I believe Spain won the whole thing last time. They beat Brazil in Guatemala 4(?) years ago. Spain and Italy are catching up to Brazil real quick.

20. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas

We outplayed Italia so maybe just maybe we can beat Brasil or Argentina. When we played Italia our keeper was not that good and let in 6 goals that at least 3 of those could of been saved.Then Italia's keeper saves like 6 shots a great chances too. The Paraguay match was a deserved win we did well in that match. Japan we also deserved a win. We have a good Futsal team we just need to finish chances.

21. NitrousOxide

NitrousOxide New Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Serravale San Marino

I wouldn't call Italy an Italian team being that 90% of their players are Brazilian. Spain yes is truly catching up to Brazil.

22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

Is this correct? How do they get Italian citizenship? Is there a futsal league in Italy and does it bring in a lot of foreign players?

23. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Yes, only 2 of the Italian national team players were born in Italy. Most are naturalized Brazilians. I don't know the whole story there, considering I only started paying attention to this whole thing a few weeks back, but there is a good league in Italy. But it's run by the amateur arm of the Italian soccer federation, so I had been under the impression it was an amateur league. But then it wouldn't make sense that players would come to Italy to play, so I don't know if it is or not.

Anyway, I missed today's telecast as I was travelling, but the USA lost to Argentina 2-1. Johnny Torres got the US goal in the final minute of play. It will be awfully tough to advance now without beating Brazil. Best hope is for Brazil and Ukraine to both beat Argentina and US to beat Ukraine, creating a 3-way tie for 2nd which would be resolved by goal difference.

FYI, here are the latest world rankings of the final 8 teams in the tournament, to show how much of a surprise the USA's progress has been so far:-

1. Italy (or "Brazitaly" ;))
    2. Brazil
    3. Spain
    4. Ukraine
    5. Argentina
    6. Czech Republic
    9. Portugal
    29. USA

Japan and Paraguay were 17th and 24th, respectively.

24. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas

The US needs to beat Ukraine bad very bad like by 4+ goals which can be done but, not if they play to play like they did today(Pass the ball for 10 mins and take a shot).That last 15 second goal was huge because now if they beat Ukraine by 4 and keep the Brasil match down to 2 goals they have a 1+ goal difference which can be huge if Ukraine beats Argentina and Brasil beats both of them bad.Really though they need to get a draw with Brasil which can be done but, they would have to keep possesion for 95% of the match.

25. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Actually, if there were to be a 3-way tie, then only the goal difference against each other would be added up - the games vs Brazil wouldn't count, basically - so it's really too early to tell. And I've made quite a few assumptions already. First of which, US has to beat Ukraine.