World Football show

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Ann, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Ann

Ann Member

Feb 17, 1999
    MA
    The World Football show on FSW has a piece on Steve Nicol this week. It will be on a few more times, you can find the FSW schedule on their website.
    And yes, Monty the Media Whore is on there too.

2. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Not sure if they're repeats, but the following are broadcast times for the coming week:

Tue Oct 07 12:30AM Eastern
    FOX Sports World (US)
    Western Union World Football

Fri Oct 10 11:30PM Eastern
    FOX Sports World (US)

Sun Oct 12 01:00PM Eastern
    FOX Sports World (US)

Mon Oct 13 04:00AM Eastern
    FOX Sports World (US)

The Magpie

3. Jim Dow

Jim Dow New Member

Mar 20, 1999
    Belmont, MA
    Interesting stuff, considering the mainstream media dearth of coverage of the team in any depth. Consider this, in the last two weeks there have been feature articles in the Times of London on Steve Nicol, a ten minute feature on World Football on the Revs youth camps and now this. Do the bloatyboyz at WEEI really think that anyone outside their wee world gives a rat's ass about Tom Brady, Antoine Walker or "cowboying up?" I know we are a poor fifth fiddle at best in our little puddle but I'll take World Football on FSW and the Times of London over Sports Radio any day.

JIM DOW

4. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Speak for yourself. COWBOY UP! COWBOY UP! COWBOY UP! It's rally kareoke guy time! That is awesome. I'm surprised that anyone would still be complaining at this point. You have to give the people what they want and, for now, that's not soccer. That's just the cold reality.

5. Jim Dow

Jim Dow New Member

Mar 20, 1999
    Belmont, MA
    Kahnsingh:

I have no problem whatsoever with folks wanting to watch the Sox, anytime. "Cowboy up" just strikes me as a distinctly dumb phrase with significantly unfortunate overtones in these times. My problem, for sure, but there it is.

JIM DOW

6. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, so that is your problem. Heck, I probably would share it were it not for my problem....what the heck is "cowboy up"? The truth of the matter is that we all are in our own little universes revolving around ourselves. I find it hard to believe anyone channel surfs anymore when there is a cable network for every interest, just tune it in and break off the dial! That and the internet makes info-on-demand a reality. I've missed whatever mass marketing has made "cowboy up" whatever it may be today. I was out today and heard the Sox game on a couple of radios. To be honest that was the first that I knew that they were even playing today. Even though I saw a score at one point in last night's Revs game, it never even crossed my mind to switch over after the match. I happened to see that the Pats won today, but don't ask me what their record is. On the other hand, I knew that if I got home in time I could catch the end of the Mutts/SJ match and later this evening I hope to watch the US/Germany WWC semi.

The world is changing. I think it will become harder and harder for anything that is not already established as a "traditional" interest with a strong community base (in sports that means the big four "major" leagues) to get any wide spread interest. I just don't think people think in groups much any more. Community is harder and harder to come by, so I'm not surprised that fan bases are hard to build and/or maintain. I'm simply thankful that we have the Revs to torment and entertain us for now. I hope the Krafts find a way to keep this going or sell it to someone who will.

7. Jim Dow

Jim Dow New Member

Mar 20, 1999
    Belmont, MA
    ..... The world is changing. I think it will become harder and harder for anything that is not already established as a "traditional" interest with a strong community base (in sports that means the big four "major" leagues) to get any wide spread interest. I just don't think people think in groups much any more. Community is harder and harder to come by, so I'm not surprised that fan bases are hard to build and/or maintain. I'm simply thankful that we have the Revs to torment and entertain us for now. I hope the Krafts find a way to keep this going or sell it to someone who will.....

MOUSEY TONGUE

This may, indeed, be the heart of the matter. In the post-post-modern world the opportunity to live within a personal bubble is highly seductive to those of us who can afford it (i.e. have a semi-middle-class life). I agree with Mousey Tongue's analysis of the problem for marketing soccer, or anything else that is new. Hell, if FSW costs the same as a Category III spot at the Razor, then there is a choice of which part of the soccer bubble one wishes to occupy. At this point I can afford both but how many others are willing to make that choice, indeed can afford it? And what if you have a family and want to bring them(which I do)?

I have to add that what particularly endears me to what MT's had to say was that I, too, had no idea when the Sox were playing and only saw the score when it scrolled by during the USA/Germany match last night. Again, personal bubbleland writ large.

Great post!

JIM DOW

8. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the kudos kind kindred spirit.

But I still don't know what "cowboy up" means ;)

9. Jim Dow

Jim Dow New Member

Mar 20, 1999
    Belmont, MA
    For the Red Sox, beats the s-t out of me. In general, it sounds like yet another mindless, facile, semi-militaristic slogan favored by humvee drivers who have never heard a shot fired in anger.

All best,

JIM DOW

10. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    It's the same as "man up" or "pony up" or, appropriately enough, "step up to the plate." Basically, it means "be a man."

11. Jim Dow

Jim Dow New Member

Mar 20, 1999
    Belmont, MA
    Sounds about right and I'm not surprised.

Anyway, saw the Stevie Nicol piece on World Football and it is interesting as they intercut shots of him in his Liverpool pomp and the Revs running about on the Wrentham training pitch and at the Rezor. The great thing is it doesn't look like two greatly separate worlds.

Good stuff!

JIM DOW

12. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Nicol piece was very good. I was impressed by the amount of respect the players show him, this is very good news.

And I finally got a "real" definition of "cowboy up" from a website selling bull riding videos:
    I'm sorry, but that sounds more like a rallying cry for the Revs ;) And I don't see how shaving one's head is "cowboying up" Oh well, Go Sox!

13. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    you people who are disinterested in the red sox are absolutely amazing. the red sox being this deep in the plaoffs and the story of this teams resilancy is incrediable, it's a cultural event for the city and something beyond mere sports. nobody is going to take your soccer-lover appreciation card away for watching and cheering for the Red Sox.

14. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, don't get me wrong, it's the cultural aspect of this whole thing that is most interesting to me. Thus my interest in "cowboy up." I love the whole "curse of the Bambino" thing and would love to see the Cubbies and Sox face off in the battle of the curses. I grew up loving baseball but after falling in love with soccer I find it too painfully slow to watch most of the time. This playoff run helps, but I still fell asleep watching game two on Thursday night. That's not to say that more than a few Revs matches haven't been snoozers!

Hey, I'm not bashing the Sox or their fans. I just need the bandwagon to slow down a little if I'm going to be able to jump on it! ;)

And let's be honest here, if the Revs go out to Chicago in a few weeks and book a trip LA for the cup final, most of Boston will say "are they still playing soccer? and didn't the Revs play in the final last year?" But that kind of run would be no less exciting than the one the Sox are making now. Again, I don't want to knock the current euphoria, I just hope the Revs can share a little of the spotlight should they make a run.

Boston: city of champions...I like the sound of that

15. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    That, brothers and sisters, would be what we call a once in a lifetime occurrence. Well worth hoping for.

16. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My new Tivo decided I'd like the show, so I'm watching it now. Score!

Thanks to my 3 thumbs-up ratings ((out of a possible 3)) to MLS Wrap.