World Football Historic Center (Dearman Blogspot)

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Dearman, Aug 7, 2013.

1. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    #1526 benficafan3, Mar 11, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
    @Dearman, good stuff on updating the world-class data.

Per what you have listed here, however, I'd have to ask you also to give further thought about CR7 vs. Cruyff. Per your analysis here, you are saying that Cristiano Ronaldo was the most dominant in the most competitive level of the sport (international club football, specifically European club football) during a period that was shared with the player you consider #1 of all time. And it's true - Ronaldo is the superior Champions League player because he surpasses Messi and all other players.

You would expect the best player of all time to be considered the best player of the most difficult club competition during the period he played... but he's not. Cristiano Ronaldo is. And that achievement alone is more impressive than anything Cruyff has ever done. Why? Because he beat the best at the highest level of club competition. You can count on less than one hand what achievements could possibly be more impressive than that - and none of those possible achievements are Cruyff's.

To beat the best of all time at the highest level of European competition means whoever did it should have one hand, at the least, on the title of best European player of all time (assuming they are European of course). The fact that Ronaldo guided Portugal to their first and only tournament win in history, whereas Cruyff never won a title with Holland, means it should go to Ronaldo. And it's not just that Euro win. Go take a look at Portugal's record in tournaments before his career and after - literal night and day - and he's undisputedly the main reason why.

Just one man's opinion of course - great work, as always.

RamyBt repped this.
  2. victorcalello38

Feb 28, 2017
    Club:
    Montevideo Wanderers FC
    waiting for the new update

3. Dearman

Dearman Member

Argentina
    Feb 24, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    I will do it around the early of August. Sorry for late but I have been too busy.