World Football Historic Center (Dearman Blogspot)

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Dearman, Aug 7, 2013.

1. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #1326 carlito86, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
    Hector Yazalde a striker with 2 goals in 10 caps for Argentina scored in 1973/74 a staggering 46 goals in 29 Portuguese primera division games:1:59 goals per match

You can even see from this footage he doesn't look like a typical goal hugger
    He could (in the Portuguese league) dribble,progress the ball and he was 'skilled'
    Could even score goals dribbling 4 players in the penalty area at 05:50

How is this even conceivable
    A CF with only 2 goals in 10 caps for Argentina
    2 goals against Haiti in the 1974 world cup

This CF put up numbers in the Portuguese league that gerd muller could only dream of

Eusebio 72/73 scored 40 goals out of 101 league goals
    Hector Yazalde 73/74 scored 46 goals out of 96 team goals

The Portuguese primera division had identical goal averages in both 72/73 And 73/74

Eusebio 72/73 scored 2 goals in 4 European cup matches:0.5 gpg
    Hector yazalde 73/74 scored 2 goals in 4 European cup matches:0.5 gpg

Why is there a staggering 68% drop off in scoring for Hector yazalde in the european cup
    (65% for Eusebio)

Yazalde went to the French division at 29 years old and scored a paltry(in comparison) 19 goals in 31 appearances
    He was outscored by a 20 year attacking midfielder called .......Michel Platini

We can say that had Michel Platini played in the same league and at the same time as Eusebio his reputation would've perhaps increased tenfold

A GOAT level playmaker with probably 1000 goals in 500 matches

Either eusebio 72/73 was(obviously)inflated
    Playing for an overpowered team that could help him stat pad to unprecedented levels
    and was probably at this stage of his career also well past his physical prime
    Injuries having taken their toll

Or

Hector yazalde is one of the greatest prime level players in the history of football

RamyBt repped this.
  2. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #1327 carlito86, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
    Eusebio was probably in his absolute prime between 1964-1966

Between those seasons he scored 20 goals in 17 European cup matches
    He was also scoring at a rate of over 1gpg in the league

Its better IMO to judge his scoring pedigree seeing how he fared in European cup matches as opposed to domestic

He was also Not a out and out striker(that he later became) but roamed from deeper position probably playing in a role that was the precursor to the one adopted at times by rivaldo at Barcelona or Kaka his 2006/07 version playing off the main striker( inzaghi )

from alot of the available footage it is a common sight to see Euesbio rampaging down the flank
    Picking up the ball from midfield and doing a fair bit of playmaking

The nominal striker/CF of Benfica was Jose Torres( and before him when Eusebio first broke through the ranks it was Aguas)

Jose Torres held that role I believe up until 1972
    After which Euesbio started adopting a more centralised position and was actually being outshone at times by Hector yazalde(and not only him)

The 1970s Portuguese league was a joke
    Strikers who were elsewhere 1 goal in 2 game scorers went there and started looking like God on steroids.

Prime Eusebio between 64-66(3 consecutive seasons) was a 1gpg player at both domestic and European cup level
    Scoring 81 goals in 62 league appearances
    20 goals in 17 European cup appearances

A beast and a top 2 player in the world alongside Pele

Between 1969 and 1973(5 consecutive seasons)
    Eusebio scored
    109 goals in 117 league appearences
    (It actually only took Hector yazalde 4 consecutive seasons to score 104 league goals in 104 league matches)
    https://es.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Héctor_Casimiro_Yazalde

Between 1969 and 1973 Euesbio only scored
    15 goals in 24 european cup matches( in 5 consecutive seasons)

6 goals against Olimpija Ljubljana(?)
    2 goals against malmo
    3 goals against Celtic
    1 goal in a 8-1 win against Valur Reykjavík
    Etc.....
    You get the point
    http://www.rsssf.com/players/eusebio-in-ec.html

We could extend this Even further

Between 1964-1968 Eusebio scored 23 goals in 25 appearances for the NT

Between 1969 and 1973 eusebio scored 11 goals in 23 appearances for the NT

You are giving players a historic bonus they simply dont deserve
    Euesbio was never a supreme world class player after 1968
    George best was widely criticised after 1969 for his lifestyle and turning up against lowly teams
    Suggestions also that Manchester United played better as a cohesive unit without him
    His brilliance was just never sustained

Romanticized version:
    George best 69/70 silenced his critic's by scoring 6 goals against Northampton FC ridiculing any suggestion his team played better without him

John Heilpern for the Observer wrote
    "To have seen Best score those six goals is to have seen genius"
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....ited-six-goals-northampton-fa-cup-1970?espv=1

Unromanticized version
    George best 1969/70 silenced his critics by scoring 6 goals against the 14th ranked team in the 4th division of english football

How can a supreme world class performer silence his critics with 6 goals against what was objectively one of the worst professional teams in the entire world

Lionel Messi 2011/12 could not silence his critics with 5 open play goals in the CL R16 against the 5th best team of bundesliga
    In fact they(his critics) were still saying very loudly (till this day)
    Bayern leverkusen is a joke
    Performances against them can't be taken seriously

Bayern leverkusen 2011/12 compared to Northampton FC 1969/70 ......
    Forget about it

Euesbio after 1969 was probably still great enough for the Portuguese league but that's really it

Historic players are nowhere near scrutinised
    It is just automatically assumed they were at level and at that level for sustained periods of time

Qindarka repped this.
  3. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #1328 carlito86, May 19, 2020
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
    @Dearman
    Not only that but between 1969-1973 Eusebio failed to score a single goal in 5 European cup matches against Ajax

Failed to score in 2 European cup matches vs Feyenoord

This is a copy and pasted list of all Eusebios European cup opponents between 1969-1973

Valur Reykjavík
    Copenhagen
    Celtic
    Olimpija Ljubljana
    Vorwärts Berlin
    Wacker Innsbruck
    Malmo

Derby county
    CSKA Sofia
    Feyenoord

Ajax

Against the teams highlighted in red eusebio 1969-1973 scored
    15 goals in 15 appearances
    15 goals out of 38 team goals

6 of his goals came against
    Olimpija Ljubljana- a very obscure team from Slovenia
    http://www.rsssf.com/tablesj/joeg71.html
    Other teams are from Sweden,Denmark,Austria etc

Maybe Celtic is arguably the only one with real European pedigree(at that time I mean)

Against the teams highlighted in
    blue eusebio 1969-1973 scored
    0 goals in 11 appearances
    0 goals out of 11 team goals

The data is here
    http://www.rsssf.com/players/eusebio-in-ec.html

At the exact same he was firing blanks at teams with any sort of pedigree he was scoring near1 gpg in the Portuguese league
    And was being outscored /challenged by Hector yazalde

Hector yazalde who in 1973/74 won the european golden shoe with 46 goals in 29 league appearances:1.59 gpg

In 1975 a 29 year old Hector yazalde joined Marseille in ligue 1 a
    nd scored 19 goals in 31 ligue 1 appearances
    A paltry return considering the monstrous reputation he came with

He was in the process outscored by a 20 year old attacking midfielder called Michel platini

I rest my case to be honest
    There's nothing more to say if you think Eusebios record in the early 70s points towards him still being a top class forward

And what i mean by that is elite
    Not a guy who can do a job in a Mickey mouse league
    Whilst having remarkably inferior record in the European cup and for the NT

RamyBt repped this.
  4. Serpico

Serpico New Member

May 18, 2020
    Man, take it easy. Netherlands never won a World Cup. And Uruguay won two World Cups. Netherlands is clearly inferior to Uruguay. Don't cry. Maybe the dutch players don't have what it takes to win a World Cup. It is not your fault that the players of your country are scared in important games.

5. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    pipiolo back from the dead........

Dearman repped this.
  6. Dearman

Dearman Member

Argentina
    Feb 24, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    Sometimes international club did not have higher standard of competition than domestic league when the team did not go far and just encountered team from small nations. Applying performance from higher standard of competition descended to lower (generally domestic football) is agreeable in most cases. The rating of performance of lower standard league should not be too higher than the more competitive one if circumstance of team is also not significantly different.

In case of Eusebio, He scored 12 goals against top 4 below Benfica in 1972 - 1973 season. 4 Goals against Sporting CP and hat-trick against Belenense and Victoria Setubal. At least I don't know how many assists he made but what I know he was a player who often operated the game from attacking midfield area so I infer he was very effective in dominating the game. However, He made no score against Derby whose world-class defenders like Roy Macfarland and Colin Todd. I just see match Derby defeat Benfica 3-0, I only see one scene of Eusebio participated with ball and he touched the ball rebounding too far to occupy. Eusebio anyway had a few chances to involve with Benfica but no scene to see he was beaten by defenders. It is hard to rate player in such a limited circumstance.

George Best's performance in 1969 - 1970 is certainly dropped from that of phenomenal 1967 - 1968 particularly his spectacular dribbling. I just watch Video Highlight 4 games Man Utd against top teams in the league are Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Leeds. He played well two matches. Another two he made too extravagant wastes of dribbling and additionally he made 1 goal and 1 assist against bottom team West Ham. For 2 assists I see in these clips, it likes he developed in passing accuracy. I am inquisitive how many assists he made in this season.

Resuming Maradona issues, I have asked Vegan and he suggested Maradona' best season in the same group (1978, 1979, 1980, 1985 and 1988). I think his prolific assists in 1982 - 1983 were made against weaker opponents than Series A. However, it seems Maradona seasons between 1979 to 1985 are in similar level of peak. I prefer the season in highest standard of competition likes Series A as his best season ever. I will adjust some of his seasonal rating and he is likely to surpass Pele as well.

7. Serpico

Serpico New Member

May 18, 2020
    ¿?
    Uruguay: 2 World Cups + 15 Copas América + 2 Olympic Games
    vs
    Netherlands: 1 European Championship + 3 lost finals in World Cup
    If you make an all time 23 players squad, Netherlands will have the best players, for sure. But we are analyzing which national team had the best results. Mentality is an important part of the game. A team can be better and can have spectacular players, but if they play below their level in the important moment, they will loose.
    Dearman is correct in his ranking of national teams. And the user "PuckVanHeel"
    was disrespectful first, calling him a nazi and saying other nonsense things.

8. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #1333 carlito86, May 19, 2020
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
    You just completely dismissed the fact a player with 2 goals (against Haiti) in 10 caps for Argentina outscored Eusebio in back to back league seasons

I don't know much/anything about those players but you say they are world class?

Derby county 72/73 had the worse defence in the top 10 ranked teams of the English first division

This was possibly the best team Euesbio faced in 1972/73 and he did not score

Working under the commonly accepted assumption that friendlies in those days were not really friendlies but rather 'competitive'
    Benfica played derby county in a pre season friendly on August 18th 1973
    Benfica actually won 2-1
    both goals Scored by vitor baptista

Vitor baptista was at this stage(1972)a habitual drug user and capped only 11 times in his career for the NT
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/anybody-rember-vitor-baptista.142225/

What is special about scoring 4 goals vs 5th place sporting cp 72/73 ?
    Hector yazalde 73/74 scored a hat trick in a 5-3 league loss to Benfica
    Benfica scored 5 goals not a single one by Eusebio
    This was a Benfica that finished runner up to sporting Lisbon losing by only 2 points

Sporting lisbon 72/73 finished 5th place 21 points behind benfica

What is impressive about scoring against any of these Portuguese teams
    Top 4 or bottom 4

No matter how many times you say it:
    Eusebio 72/73 was unequivocally not a midfielder
    He was the furthest fielded outfield player after Jose Torres left

We're going around it circles and I think you are a bit ideologically rooted in your methodology
    George best 69/70 would have to be playmaking on par with Lionel Messi 2014/15 or johan Cruyff WC 74 to receive a supreme world class rating for this extremely underwhelming performance
    And as you said ppreviously his dribbling ability (or his ability to use it consistently) declined significantly
    There is no objective measure by which Maradona could be considered a superior domestic performer to Pele

Not now and not ever

My issue with alot of those ratings is not some of your bold calls but the bloody inconsistencies

Maradona 84/85 was until yesterday supposedly the greatest season ever
    A phenomenon
    Ok like i said that is a bold and interesting opinion
    Not one established by any objective measure but interesting nonetheless

Your case seems to be
    1.)Maradona 84/85 was a phenomenal dribbler

2.)Was phenomenal at assisting(only 5 strict assists none coming against top 4 sides)

3.)against Lazio he put on arguably one of the best performances ever

Lazio 84/85 was objectively one of the worst teams in the 90 year history of Serie A
    Only catania 1982/83 won less points then them

You said scoring ability should proportionally account for 40% of his 84/85 performance
    Ok

As I have shown from open play
    And against teams not in the relegation zone maradona was a comparable goalscorer to Passarella
    Not a forward or midfielder but a defender

4.)he had one of the highest Dbs calcio ratings in Serie A history

Moving onto The inconsistencies:

Lionel Messi 17/18 was by most if not all objective parameters one of the top playmakers in the world

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/feature...y-became-player-he-was-expected-be-ballon-dor

Lionel Messi 17/18 had (marginally) the second highest dbs calico rating in the history of la liga
    Screenshot_20200519-102120-1.jpg
    2011/12 was rated 0.013 higher

Lionel Messi 17/18 won the European golden shoe with the same amount of league goals as R9 in 1996/97

Barcelona 96/97 scored more league goals than Barcelona 17/18
    La liga 1996/97 averaged more total goals than la liga 2017/18
    R9 96/97 scored more la liga penalties than Messi 17/18
    R9 96/97 scored less goals vs top 4 la liga sides than Messi 17/18
    R9 96/97 recorded considerably less assists than Messi 17/18
    Messi played one less league game than R9 96/97

Messi 17/18 was in all likelihood not dribbling much less(if at all)than Maradona 84/85 or R9 96/97

Difference is Messi was doing a WHOLE lot more playmaking then R9 and WHOLE lot more scoring then Maradona

Even without the superteam edge of Barcelona there's no way Sergio Ramos or Virgil van dijk would score anywhere near as many open play goals as him

Even if you gave them all his penalties combined with all their teams penalties it would still not happen
    Passarella 84/85 was from open play and against teams not in the bottom of Serie A a very comparable goalscorer to Maradona

Maradona 84/85 seemingly doesn't have to do alot
    He is the only player im aware of where production against top teams(or lack thereof)has absolutely no bearing on how he is evaluated

Trophies?
    Who cares

Messi 17/18 is only good enough to be ranked supreme world class
    And only in one half!!!!

While R9 and Maradona are phenomenons.

1 failure against Roma gets magnified tenfold
    A 5th place ranking in the ballon dor is incontrovertible evidence that he was in fact overrated
    A little or alot it doesnt matter But that's what you think

R9s disappearing acts against Juventus and real madrid during 96-98 gets put down to "inexperience"

Maradona 84/85
    Well who cares as long as I score a hattrick against the 2nd worst team in Serie A history
    And who cares if I needed the help of a hand ball to score that hattrick

9. Ariaga II

Ariaga II Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Even more important than mentality is to have the competitions rigged in your favor, like Uruguay had in their two "World Cup" wins.

10. Serpico

Serpico New Member

May 18, 2020
    Are you kidding? They were locals in 1930, but the team was almost the same that won in 1924 and in 1928 in Europe. And in 1950 they won in a World Cup organized to make Brazil champion. A big part of that victory belongs Obdulio Varela, maybe the player with the biggest mentality in the history of the game. That doesn't seem "rigged" to me and im not uruguayan.

11. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #1336 carlito86, May 20, 2020
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
    @Dearman
    Screenshot_20200520-093850-1.jpg
    Which sources are you using to rank Ronaldo nazario as a superior champions league performer to Samuel etoo ,andriy shevchenco,Romario,van nistelrooy,Jean Pierre papin etc?

R9 scored 14 champions league goals in his entire career

Andriy shevchenco scored 13 CL goals from September 1997 up until April 1999

8 of Ronaldo nazarios 14 career champions league goals came against:
    Aek Athens
    Locomotive Moscow
    Marseille
    Monaco
    Dynamo kiev

8 of andriy shevchencos 13 champions league goals between September 1997 and April 1999 came against:
    Real Madrid
    Barcelona
    Bayern Munich

12. Ariaga II

Ariaga II Member

Dec 8, 2018
    1930 was a Copa America with a couple more leftovers in it. In 1950 Uruguay got into the final pool fresh off a scoring practice against Bolivia. It's pretty easy to have gas in the tank for a final when you've played 2 meaningful games until then. And then you can create fairytales about god-tier mentality and leadership skills, when in reality the difference is just one Rensenbrink post shot.

13. Dearman

Dearman Member

Argentina
    Feb 24, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    International club includes former UEFA Cup, Cup Winners Cup and Copa Libertadores Cup not only Champion League.

14. Qindarka

Qindarka Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Malaysia
    But surely they should have a lot less weightage than the Champion's League.

15. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #1340 carlito86, May 20, 2020
    R9 scored
    36 open play goals in the champions league proper +Uefa cup+copa libertadores+cup winners cup in 87 appearances
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/ronaldo/elfmetertore/spieler/3140

Here's the breakdown:
    UEFA CUP

1994/95
    A hattrick in a 5-4 loss against bayern leverkusen 94/95

Bayern leverkusen finished 7th place in the bundesliga
    For an 18 year id say IMO that is quite impressive
    maybe/possibly one of the best club performances in his career

1995/96
    5 goals in the UEFA cup against MYPA 95/96

MYPA is a Finnish football club, based in the industrial village of Myllykoski, part of the city of Kouvola

1 goal against werder Bremen 95/96
    Werder Bremen finished 9th place

1996/97 cup winners cup
    2 goals against AEK larnaca
    Aek larnaca is a Cypriot football club with a stadium capacity (today) of 7500 spectators

0 goals in the R16 against red star Belgrade
    Barcelona went through 4-2 aggregate winners

2 goals against AiK in the QF
    Barcelona went through 3-1 on aggregate
    AIK finished 8th place in the Swedish division

Consecutive blanks and 0 assists against Fiorentina in the Semifinals.
    Barcelona went through on aggregate 3-1
    Btw Fiorentina finished 9th place in Serie A

1 penalty goal against PSG in the final
    PSG finished 2nd place in ligue 1

Stéphane Guivarc'h with 1 goal in 14 caps for the French national team actually scored 3 league goals in 3 league appearances against Paris saint germain in 1996/97

How on earth dearman does R9 get a SW rating for this
    Screenshot_20200520-222516-2.jpg

Moving on
    1997/98 UEFA cup

1 goal in the first round vs xamax neuchatel
    Inter ran through 4-0 aggregate winners

Xamax neuchatel played in the swiss league
    It was contested by 12 teams with each team playing each other twice in the first stage before being separated into a championship group and a relegation group;
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997–98_Nationalliga_A
    Xamax was such a European powerhouse they finished 9th place in the Swiss league and had to compete in the relegation group(and won)
    This breakdown is required because one of R9s most famous dribbling runs that features in pretty much every comp came against this team

At 0:35

0 goals+1 assists in two second round appearances vs Lyon
    Inter Milan went through 4-3 aggregate

1 goal+0 assists in 2 round of sixteen appearances vs stratsborg
    Inter Milan ran through 3-2 aggregate winners

1 goal in 2 QF appearances vs schalke
    Schalke finished 5th in the bundesliga

2 goals+1 assist in the SF vs Spartak Moscow
    Inter went through 4-2 aggregate winners

Scored a inconsequential 3rd goal in a 3-0 final win against lazio

Stéphane Guivarc'h 97/98 capped only 14 times by the French national team
    Actually scored 2 goals against lazio in the UEFA cup QF

This pretty much covers his prime
    Could include 1998/99 but it would just make the picture look worse

In around 15 years of participating in international club competitions R9 probably had 3 supreme class performances against

Against bayern leverkusen in 1994/95 when he 18 years old
    Not That they were some era defining team but R9 was young and IMO this was for a player of his age far above expectations

The brace in the 97/98 UEFA cup SF against Spartak Moscow

Is there anything else I missed
    2 goals in 8 appearances in the 93/94 copa libertadores granted one of those goals was a epic solo goal in a group match against Boca juniors

This is what it boils down to

In the UEFA cup+champions league combined
    Against tier 1 teams
    That is teams like Manchester United,Real madrid,Barcelona,AC Milan,bayern Munich and Juventus

R9 scored 4 goals in 11 appearences
    3 of those goals came in a single match against Manchester United in 02/03

Just from September 1997 up until April 1999 andriy shevchenco
    Scored 9 goals in 7 champions league appearances against Barcelona,real Madrid,Bayern Munich and juventus

Qindarka repped this.
  16. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #1341 carlito86, May 20, 2020
    Screenshot_20200429-075703-1.jpg
    https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/2...s/6219/Show/Europe-Champions-League-2009-2010

He is still only OW here for 2009/10 CL
    http://xtrahistory.blogspot.com/2013/01/Competition-Level.html?m=1

Was also rated MOTM in the R16 vs Lyon with a 8.8 rating
    https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/3...e-Champions-League-2009-2010-Real-Madrid-Lyon

Will be providing some data on other seasons

There is a blatant bias against post 2006 world cup players that detracts from the authenticity of your research

[​IMG]

Naratorn Wirunhchatapant 05/06/2018
    1. I doesn't hate modern player but everyone know this era is weak in competitiveness as no one could surpass Messi and C.Ronaldo.
    Your biases are built upon entirely false premises

In the era of Messi and Ronaldo Luca modric won the ballon dor whilst Franck ribery and andres iniesta both won the coveted UEFA best player in Europe award which has as much relevance today probably as the FWPOTY award had before

In the era of Messi and Ronaldo Luis Suarez won 2 European goldens
    And he did it without being the primary set piece or penalty taker on his teams

As for the everybody knows part
    Who is everybody
    Pipiolo
    Greatstriker
    James
    Tropiero

Messi and Ronaldo shared the ballon dor for 9 years
    Well guess what

They won 10 European golden shoes between them
    Averaging 35 league goals per season

Cristiano with 46 league goals in 2011/12 couldn't win the European golden shoe because messi scored 50

Zlatan ibrahimovic with 10 champions league goals in 13/14 couldn't win the top scorer award because Ronaldo scored 17

Even moving away from those two
    Higuain scored an all time record 38 Serie A goals in 15/16
    More than anyone in the 90 year history of Serie A

He still couldn't win the European golden shoe because Suarez scored more

Higuain scoring 38 league goals in a single season in Italy just proves this is a weak era right.......WRONG

Prime Higuain was a great and consistent league scorer wherever he went

Revisionist argument:
    If Higuain could score 38 goals in a single league season imagine what van basten could do in today's Serie A
    45,50 maybe even 60 goals in the league

Van basten better all round player>DEFINITELY outscores inferior 'choking poacher'

Yeah thats nice
    Wishful thinking

Aldo serena ( with 5 goals in 24 caps for Italy)
    scored 19 open play goals in Serie A 88/89

Marco van basten never scored more then 16 non penalty goals in a single Serie A season for AC Milan

Aldo serena is much greater than Higuain?

Even adjusting inflation(generously)
    16 open goals in Serie A 1988/89 is worth 10 more today?

26 open play goals in a single season is a few more than Thierry Henry or shevchenco scored in their best ever seasons

Thierry Henry peaked in the EPL with 24 non penalty goals in 2005/06
    Shevchenco peaked in Serie A with 23 non penalty goals in 2003/04

CR peaked with 12 league penalties in 11/12
    Scored 12 missed 1

Messi peaked with 10 league penalties in 2011/12
    Scored 10 missed 1

Van basten peaked with 9 league penalties in Serie A 88/89
    Scored 9 and missed 2

Van basten earned alot of his penalties in 91/92 so let's give him full accreditation for his pen goals
    Lets go even further and say he earns 5 more with better protection from referees today

That's
    26 open play league goals
    9 penalties
    +5 more (let's call it a weak defensive era bonus)

That is what roughly
    38 league goals(12 penalties)

How many penalties did Higuain require to score 38 league goals?
    Only 3

Yeah its an outlier in his career
    He never did something similar before or after and yeah this maybe speculative but what isn't is

Great better all round players in their absolute prime do not always outscore their nearest competitors
    That is until Messi and Ronaldo came along

A Hector yazalde (outscoring eusebios best seasons)
    Or aldo serena
    Or toninho (matching most of Peles best scoring seasons)

Does not exist for Ronaldo or Messi

These are average players or hardly capped

Competing in the same league(Serena)
    Sometimes on the same team(toninho)
    And sometimes even on inferior teams (yazalde)
    And putting similar,matching or superior numbers as previous legendary scorers

when it comes to consistent end product ronaldo and Messi are complete outliers

RamyBt and Qindarka repped this.
  17. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    Toninho scored around 1 gpg in his best season in official matches (with Pelé feeding him in many times). 1gpg is not close of Pelé's best records either, take into account that in many seasons Pepe was the main PK taker also.

On the hand, Cristiano neither Messi are 'complete outliers' (fancy words), in fact, Higuain outscore Cristiano Ronaldo per 90 minutes, 1.03 Non-PK Goals in La Liga 09/10 and 1.16 Non-PK Goals in La Liga 11/12, compared to Ronaldo's 0.80 and 0.91. It is 0.23 and 0.25 non-PK Goals per 90 difference and it is Ronaldo in his peak shooting seven times per match. I can put here many more examples, Benzema, for example, scored 1.10 non-PK Goals per 90 in La Liga 15/16.

It's just that I don't have as much time available as some here to express the reality and expose all the inconsistencies, shallow analysis, double standards and poor analogies that some use here to promote certain athletes or eras playing at disproportionate times with several of their teammates also putting numbers incredible in the same way (many of those in the tap-in all-time records).
    Anyway ... here the stupidity is increasingly and reaching a freak show level.

I only say one thing, take the opportunity to do all these dirty propagandas now because when I have enough time, and I feel like it, I will come back here and contest all this and still feel free to launch some new ones. Although it may be more practical not to answer all of this or then be very superficial (and dishonest person) like Carlitos is being here.

Probably neither of you deserves some serious answer, anyway.

18. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #1343 carlito86, May 20, 2020
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Drop the faux outrage(here and on other threads)

This is a football related discussion and this forum a platform to share and challenge different football perspectives
    respectfully yes
    And maybe I do get carried away a little bit on occasion with other posters

Your feeble attempt at displaying aggression is unwarranted and more importantly not having its desired effect on me.

The last part intrigues me
    Is it a privilege or curse to have to read your wall of texts littered with statistical fallacies

Your content is dry
    Online personality even drier

I dont particularly dislike you but you could lighten up a bit
    And STOP CRYING TO THE MODS

Nobody likes a sni**h

RamyBt repped this.
  19. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    You're a liar.

"Or toninho (matching most of Peles best scoring seasons)"

Toninho scored around 1 gpg in his best season in official matches (with Pelé feeding him in many times). 1gpg is not close of Pelé's best records either, take into account that in many seasons Pepe was the main PK taker also.

Not really he scored 1gpg in official matches in his best season, it is not even close to Pelé best scoring seasons

______________________________________________--

"It does not exist for Ronaldo or Messi"

On the hand, Cristiano neither Messi are 'complete outliers' (fancy words), in fact, Higuain outscore Cristiano Ronaldo per 90 minutes, 1.03 Non-PK Goals in La Liga 09/10 and 1.16 Non-PK Goals in La Liga 11/12, compared to Ronaldo's 0.80 and 0.91. It is 0.23 and 0.25 non-PK Goals per 90 difference and it is Ronaldo in his peak shooting seven times per match. I can put here many more examples, Benzema, for example, scored 1.10 non-PK Goals per 90 in La Liga 15/16.

Yes, it does exist (ej Suarez 15/16, Higuain, Benzema and maybe others) outscoring per 90 minutes Cristiano and Messi in their peaks.

This is just one example of how manipulative and lying you are. Your comments are mostly based on falacies and all without the required depth and are based on very shallow arguments that doesn't catch the most knowledgeable members here.

.... and yes I will call for moderation if I see that this forum needs a minimum of order, because trolling on several unrelated threads (see the football IQ thread) or insulting users is not good for other members to read it.

But it's okay, continue your propaganda and all your talk now. As you are talking nonsense, time or another I will be here, when with time, to confront you with truths. You have lucky because I have no time in these days.

20. Serpico

Serpico New Member

May 18, 2020
    Dearman ,your work is great. I agree in almost all your lists. Maybe some people think that certain things can be tweaked and other people will think the opposite, but in general terms your work is wonderful. You have researched a lot and made spectacular rankings and all time teams. I've never seen a page like that. The only critic that I can say is that Maradona's ranking can be between Messi and Pelé, he deserves to be the number 2. I think that Pelé was a bit overrated in the history because he is an icon of football. Check Vegan10 posts about Maradona. I think that Diego deserves a change in a few "Ordinary world class" seasons which have to be "Supreme world class" seasons. And also Messi's peak can be a little higher, 94 would fit for him.

21. Dearman

Dearman Member

Argentina
    Feb 24, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    You means C.Ronaldo in 2009 - 2010 UCL ? I see his raring is 8.47 mainly against teams in group stage so I rate him in ordinary world-class.

Well, I mentioned current era is weak in 2018 before World Cup was held and Modric won player of the year mainly for his world cup remarkable performance.
    I mean no one have peak performance near Messi and C.Ronaldo. Ribery is one of the best players in the World in 2013 but his peak and longevity of peak is not considered to surpass Messi and CR7. Goalkeeper, Defenders and Midfielders are obviously weaker in competitiveness. Let look at my list World's positional ranking of the era, the qualified players are much less than most of other eras.

Yalzade has a special performance in Portuguse league in that season. I did watch his style of scoring so I can't judge his class by only number. Regardless of his reputation, he could be rated in supreme-world-class if he is deserved but I see his longevity of peak is also very short.

22. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #1347 carlito86, May 21, 2020
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
    He was rated 8.82 in the groupstages

It is there literally in front of you
    https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/2...s/6219/Show/Europe-Champions-League-2009-2010
    Screenshot_20200429-075703-1.jpg
    Maybe I'm blind and it says 8.47
    This is the 2nd time I've posted this on the same page

His score was lowered to 8.47 for the second leg of the R16 performance against Lyon

In the first leg vs lyon he was MOTM with a 8.78 rating
    Screenshot_20200521-100157-1.jpg

It is there (the link)

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/3...e-Champions-League-2009-2010-Real-Madrid-Lyon
    Up until that point he had played
    4 groupstage matches
    And 1 knockout
    Was MOTM in 4 of those
    Had 8.8 rating after 5 starts

He should be accredited 0.5 SW rating for the 2009/10 CL
    This is your methodology that should be applied consistently across the board
    Even if that means he gets closer to Cruyff who you obviously think is vastly superior

It is your methodology
    Not mine

You are doubling down whilst simultaneously inflating Maradona(above Pele)
    Unsurprising

RamyBt repped this.
  23. Dearman

Dearman Member

Argentina
    Feb 24, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    Maradona is now rated in ordinary world-class for seasons of 1984, 2nd half of 1985- 1986, 1987 and 1989 and 1990. In 1987, 1989 and 1990 Maradona would be rated very high for leading Napoli in term of historical important but probably not for individual performance. It is strange that Napoli's achievable seasons were not related to one of Maradona's best seasons. I also see Maradona scored a number of goals by penalty as he was the first man assigned for being penalty taker and Series A at that time seems to make fouls in penalty often.

Do you think which particular season he is deserved to be upgraded ?

24. Dearman

Dearman Member

Argentina
    Feb 24, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    Whoescored rating are applied only case that it has been verified. Because it rated players based on % complete of each tasks not get into quality of each completion.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/1716/c...ngs-real-madrid-11-olympique-lyonnais-agg-1-2

CR7 is rated only 7 in match draw against Lyon. I can't how he was rated in second leg that Madrid lost but I watched the game and I remembered that Madrid team did not play well and affected on his chance to participate with the ball.

25. Qindarka

Qindarka Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Malaysia
    But why did you believe that the modern era, before 2018, was weak? Because no one could contend with Messi and Ronaldo? That is certainly the case, but why should that mean that they get ranked lower than many historical players, who also cannot compare to Messi and Ronaldo, going by stats, awards, eye test etc.

You can't point to your own list as evidence that the modern era was weaker since in making those lists, you operated under the premise that the modern era was weaker. That's essentially a circular argument.

carlito86 repped this.