World Draft Group Stage formations used thread.

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dark Savante, Apr 13, 2006.

1. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    He is for World Cup purposes. He's not going to start for Argentina in the World Cup on the back of 3 meaningless games for ManUtd.

2. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Its interesting. All Crespo does is score, and people keep wanting to bench him. His scoring record for Argentina is exemplary, including in big games. It was Bielsa's foolish decision to start a clearly over the hill Batistuta over Crespo that was one of the biggest reasons for their abject failure in 2002 (that and Veron's poor form).
    Crespo is a better player than Julio Cruz, Feyenoord or not.

3. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Well you never know. If he is fit, and he can get into some of Argentina's pre world cup friendlies, and come out unscathed why not?

4. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    It's highly unlikely, but IMO, if Argentina really wants him to play, they'll get him fit in time for the WC.

5. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    There have been some articles around saying that if Heinze was fit, that he would be on the roster for the world cup.

Link

6. impalemeplz

impalemeplz Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Sydney
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    the mancs still might need to pick up 7 points out of 12 to make sure liverpool have no chance to get second spot. its not exactly meaningless.

7. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

exactly... besides, considering the team he plays on, i'd say that 11 goals in 30 games isn't overly impressive

8. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    He didn't start in 30 games. Crespo is a great striker and a very impressive goalscorer, but I prefer Cruz. Cruz is a good header, scores goals, beats defenders (up), creates space and holds the ball up. To me he is without a doubt the best striker at Inter right now (considering Adriano's current form ofcourse).

Cruz would also take a lot of pressure of Riquelme's (or whoever plays as an attacking midfielder) shoulder because he is good at holding the ball. With Crespo in that position he loses the option of passing the ball to the center forward so he can join the attack more himself.

It all depends on the opposition ofcourse. Against for example Brazil I'd rather play Tevez as a center forward over both Cruz and Crespo.

9. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    that's what i meant by "exactly" :D

10. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    :D

Nevertheless I can see why Pekerman prefers Crespo. Cruz would make them play a more dominant game but he doesn't have that killer instinct Crespo has. Cruz would probably miss that one chance he get's against Brazil, where Crespo would bang it in no problem. I just don't like Crespo's playing style and think Cruz is increadibly underrated. Too bad they wouldn't make a great partnership as they would both drift into the same space.

11. Bruzza

Bruzza New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    Your backyard
    Martins is better than cruz... hehe

12. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    I think Crespo scored only once since early February - over 15 or so games.

13. soccer_stallion32

soccer_stallion32 New Member

Apr 3, 2004
    Cruz's goal per minutes played average is really something to be admired. Fifteen goals for what is essentially a fourth choice striker is incredible. What i admire most about him is his temperment, he doesnt care that he is on the bench once Mancini tells him to get ready he jumps up gets loosened up and becomes an instant threat when he comes on.

I think he would be a real asset to the Argentine national team in a similar role. He has had a fantastic season and to have someone like him to bring on in the closing stages of the game can give you that extra reference point in the attack as well as help with the team's movements. The way he plays to the ball is so close to him when he is running and he has such long legs that he can wrap them around the ball forcing defenders to commit the foul and with Argentina's abundance of solid FK takers this would just be an extra option. He himself can take the FK he draws and has an above average chance of putting it home.

However asking him to start over Crespo would be a big ask, i dont think he is as god as Crespo in terms of his overall game but surely Pekerman can find him a spot in his team for this summer.

14. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    This World Cup's Roger Milla?

15. soccer_stallion32

soccer_stallion32 New Member

Apr 3, 2004
    He migh very well be.

16. United Forever

Apr 16, 2004
    Barbados
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Barbados
    No Cruz will be. Should be ahead of Saviola too.

17. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    He hasn't played 30 games for Chelsea. He's played 2 games for Argentina this season, scoring 3 goals.
    On top of that, he has played 90 minutes exactly 4 times this season for Chelsea. To give a total games count is highly misleading for Crespo. I'd say his goals/minutes on the pitch is much better than you're intimating.

On top of that, he has always played well for Argentina. And given that Argentina like going with only one player up top, who cares if he doesn't do much else? He fits in much better in a quick passing system for Argentina than Cruz does.

18. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Its actually 11 games, of which he's started and finished 3, and it has, incidentally, coincided with the worst Chelsea streak over the past two seasons (we lost three games over a month and a half).

19. stevieg987

stevieg987 Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Are the results going to have thier own thread as they begin to trickle in.

20. United Forever

Apr 16, 2004
    Barbados
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Barbados
    Have no idea. Results are not even trickling in! :p

21. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    Yeah, I think so. They should start coming out this week, because I know some of the judges have a couple groups done already.

22. United Forever

Apr 16, 2004
    Barbados
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Barbados
    Karny like I said b4 you going down ! :D

23. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    are you sure? Beckham's good looks will freeze opponents in their place. Also, I have a convicted wife/child beater in Cisse that I can bring on as a late sub to secure victory. There's more to my team that just football :p

24. United Forever

Apr 16, 2004
    Barbados
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Barbados
    I have a twinkle toe genius. Buck tooth rabbit as the main forward and a dutch man with a japanese name. Come again!

25. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Ok,

1 judge has pm'd me his results for groups 2 & 3. so the ball starts rolling.. as soon as I get enough results to post results for each group I wiill do so. Stay tuned.