World Draft Group Stage formations used thread.

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dark Savante, Apr 13, 2006.

1. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This brings up a question for me related to the judging.

I've seen people go with a) best, but obvious players and formation and b) weird, asymmetrical, and downright "out there" formations with surprise starters and subs. In the past, how has the balance between being predictible and just trying to be clever worked itself out in the judges' eyes?

2. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    I second this question. I don't think going with unpredictable formations should reward teams that much. Most of the top teams in the world go with similar formations week in and week out. Partly this is because they feel they may hold an advantage with their personnel but it would seem strange if odd formations are rewarded too substantially.

Sidenote: Should we be posting somewhere else to avoid cluttering up the formations thread?

3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Personally, I think its the wrinkles within the formation that makes the bigger difference. There's more than one way to skin a cat or to play a 4-3-3.

4. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I used the first one for Huss and Kold Krush, I used the second one for nicephoras.

5. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    This is one of the reasons we screen the judges and get knowledgeable guys to read the stuff. They can sort out the bullshit very quickly as they are followers of the game themselves and obviously with judges and the variety therin some may favour a system whilst others wont. It's interesting. Certainly means you cannot set out with the intent to impress any one judge because with that you may put another one right off.

I think it's best to just be honest and not try being a peacock.

6. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Urgh, I got that totally wrong, but I covered my bases. Bit surprised with that line-up actually, I don't think it's the strongest one you could put out.

7. Bilbao Lion

Bilbao Lion New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Bilbao
    My lineup (the same for all three matches):

----------------------Nilmar---------------------
    -----Robinho---------------------L.García---------
    --------------------Riquelme-------------------
    -------------Cocu-----------Sissoko-------------
    Moretti-----------------------------------Miguel
    -----------Gallas-----------Caçapa-------------
    ----------------------Cech-----------------------

Subs:
    Milosevic
    Iniesta
    Makoun
    Jesus Navas
    Pernia

8. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Against StevieG

------------------------------------Kone
    ----------------------------------------------Villa
    -------------------Insua---------------
    ------------------------------------------------------Barton
    -----------------------------------Makelele
    Emanuelson----------------------------------------------------------Mancini
    -----------------Ferdinand--------------------Gavrancic
    -----------------------------------Heitinga
    -----------------------------------Gomes

Against Tom

----------------Villa----------Cruz
    ------------------------Insua
    Regueiro------------------------------Mancini
    ----------------------Makelele
    Emanuelson----------------------Gavrancic
    ---------------Heitinga---Perea
    ----------------------Gomes

9. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oops... Jayson got to it before me.

10. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    We had you using the one you used against Nice. The two formations are similar enough that it wouldn't have changed our tactics much anyway. How did you do with your predictions benni?

11. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Well I missed it completely. This is what I had for you...

I think it wasnt hard to guess nice's team. The only difference from what I put down on his is Lincoln move further to the left.

12. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gersman/StrikerCW

Versus billyireland
    ------------------------------------------- Rost
    --------------------------------------- Rodriguez
    --------------- Bustamante-------------------- ---------- Alexopoulos
    Fabio Santos------------------------------------------------------------Caniza
    -------|-----------------------------------Beto--------------------------------|
    -------|--------------------------------Micoud--------------------------------|
    ------V------------------------------------------------------------------------V
    ---------------Ribery------------------------------------------Robben
    --------------------------------------Makaay

Versus VS

--------------------------------------- Rodriguez
    --------------- Bustamante-------------------- ---------- Alexopoulos
    -------|-----------------------------------Beto--------------------------------|
    -------|--------------------------------Kallstrom-----------------------------|
    ------V-----------------------------------------------------------------------V
    ---------------Ribery------------------------------------------Robben
    --------------------------------------Makaay

Versus ******

---------------------- Rodriguez ----------- ---------- Alexopoulos
    ------------------------------------------Beto
    -------- Ribery -------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------- Robben
    --------------- ---------------------Micoud--------------------
    -----------------------Kezman
    --------------------------------------------------Makaay

13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, for my part, if a team puts a player which the other team didn't account for, I will assume that whoever lines up against him will play him straightforward. I am not going to benefit a team just for putting in a player who I think belongs on the bench, or for adding an unusual but frivolous wrinkle, just because his opponent didn't specifically plan for it.

But on the other hand, if a team proposes something that in my view would work well against his opponent's personel and formation, and the opponent didn't account for it in any way, I will consider that as an advantage.

I have to say that the strategies I read so far are fascinating. It is funny how different people who are obviously all serious fans can see the game and its players so differently.

14. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    I think that's a great view and am glad you are judging the competition.

I am wondering if we will be getting any feedback on the results of the games other than how many judges offered their opinions. I realize that all 7 judges can't get together and offer the deciding aspects of each game, but one option is to have one judge who voted on the team that ends up winning offer a short synopsis of the deciding factors (i.e. Hartson's aerial presence along with great wing play on X's slow fullbacks was an important aspect in deciding this game, etc). If my calculations are correct it would only mean about 4 of these short write-ups per judge for the entire group phase.

Considering the amount of time we all put into these write-ups I think we would all appreciate some feedback on what was thought of our tactics (even if it is negative). Getting outsmarted and finding out how would be very interesting as well.

15. impalemeplz

impalemeplz Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Sydney
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    there was no way he picked stam to play him at right back so it was obvious he was going with a 3 centreback set. on top of that he selected all of distin, stam and luisao before rd 9.

16. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    LOL I got your formation completely right.

17. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Maybe it isn't, maybe it is, but it will take care of business. ;)

18. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I know this is a bit late, but I am kind of surprised Shinzuke Nakamura wasnt drafted.

19. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We planned on drafting him with our last pick but went with the rapist instead. I really wanted the guy though, and I was pleasently surprised no one took him up to that point.

20. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    He can't hack a physical game. We considered him but he is far too easy to neutralise and hasn't played that well for Celtic (imo). The Rapist was a better option for a draft like this and with the composition of our squad.

21. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I wonder if anybody got mine right, because I was pretty close to getting the others, and I nailed CasStallion´s team, except for Tavano.

Buffon
    Rafinha---Gonzalo---Caceres---Kobiashvili
    Demichelis--Ahumada--Santana
    Gallardo
    Tevez-------Farias

22. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We nailed your team except for Ahumada and Farias.

23. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    SPARTAK now has my write-ups on his email in the case my links are still busy for other judges.

My links worked a few hours ago, but on recent inspection the site is busy. I want judges to know that if you have not saved DDW's write-ups please contact Spartak.

I apologize for any inconveniences.

24. Jessica_Alba.pirate

Jessica_Alba.pirate New Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Cairo
    I think it was my formation against Various Styles that I didn't post, um, well I didn't remember it and I can't access my document from the computer I'm using so if its really as important as it seems can one of the judges please post my formation against Various Styles so I dont get kicked out of this or something.

25. karny9

karny9 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Toronto
    This was my formation against UnitedForever & Comme:

........................................Given..............................................

...........................Nelsen................Carragher.............................

......Kromkamp..................................................R.Carlos..............

......................................Hamann.............................................

..........Beckham..............................................Guti.....................

..................................Schweinsteiger.......................................

........................Pauleta....................Ibrahimovic........................

Against Condor11:

.....................................Given........................................

................Javi Venta........Carragher......Nelsen..................

...............................................R.Carlos..........................

.......................Hamann...................................................

.................Schweinsteiger.................Guti........................

.................Pauleta................................Cisse.................

.................................Ibrahimovic..................................