World Cups And Euro Championships In Disapointing Countries 4 Years To Come

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by blackpool fc mark, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    The US public would not be an issue for FIFA. I don't believe the US would be offered the WC if 2010 in the successful African bidder could not host it (and I don't believe that will happen) because it hosted the WC in '94 and it is a major terrorist target (because of it's actions in Iraq).

Crowdie

2. skyboy

skyboy New Member

Jul 16, 2003
    New York City

well...that's naive
    everyone is a target of terrorist nowadays...just look what happen with people from australia and from your country in bali last year, unfortunately.

however, US should not host another WC for a very long time...they held it in here in 94 because it is a ground breaking situation because it was the first time outside of europe or south/central america, just like by now they had it once in asia last year, and they will have it in africa for the first time in 2010.....it goes beyond the issue of quality of facility and security and so forth (which some people here on this thread does, way too arrogantly i might add, believe that US is far better off than anyone in this world). but the critical issue here should be that WC should not be held in a country where majority of people do not understand the sport and do not appreciate significance of the occasion. this is very different than hosting WWC since it is much smaller and it is not that old and US is the powerhouse and the frontier of the sport anyway. but men's WC is very different. no matter how much soccer had grown in US last 10 years or so, it still does not get any respect it deserve in main media (i know so because i live here!) and it is almost an insult to the history of the integrity of the sport and WC itself to have it here. i know that money hungry sapp blatter and FIFA will be eager to do it US reasonably soon to please many sponsors and stuff up their pocket asap. but the whole world should fight FIFA not to have it here til' there is clear indication that this country deserve and it think it is honorable to have this glorious occasion. (i know WC, among many other things in this world, has been tainted with commercial and political interest, but i do think, no matter how naive it may sound, when the ball kicks off and the 90 mins start ticking off, there still is this beautiful buzz, that you feel as billions of people from all over this globe do the same...that's why i called it glorious)

3. Vic Lupi

Vic Lupi Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Essex Fells, NJ
    That would explain the 76,000 in attendance for the highly touted Morocco-Saudi Arabia match in '94. (BTW, I was there - probably the best match of the first round IMHO)

4. fatmaradona

fatmaradona New Member

Dec 15, 2002
    the Anschutz ranch
    we were a terrorist target well before the iraq situation

5. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    We were not the targets. The bar hit is a popular place for US tourists and the Australians were a secondary target.

The US ambassador to New Zealand presented a speech where it said that for the first time in modern history the Kiwis had not fought side by side with the Americans. It was pointed out to the ambassador that this was the first time in modern history that the US had requested Kiwi help for an illegal invasion.

The last time the US hosted the WC was in '94 and your country wasn't in the middle of a war. I just cannot see some countries being comfortable to send teams to the US in this environment.

Crowdie

6. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

There are international tournaments hosted in the United States all the time. The US Open is among the two most important non-baseball sporting events in the largest city in the nation, held on an annual basis. The ICC is considering having the US host first-round Cricket World Cup matches. To say nothing of which Salt Lake City had a little two-week party not a year and a half ago.

And to break reality for a second, if international sporting figures, those same people who were happy that Beijing got the '08 Olympics (and I agree with them, mind you), claim that they don't mix sport with politics, they should act like it.

But that's crazy of me.

7. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Lets say FIFA awards the 2018 WC to North America and the US is still fighting the "war on terrorism" (as Bush calls it). When you are trying to win an election (and that is really what the WC vote is) you try to give your opposition as little ammo to use against you as possible. The "war on terrorism" gives Canada, Mexico and any other North American country wanting to host the WC a large amount of ammo to use against the US, especially in the AFC.

Crowdie

8. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I understand that, but if the game of soccer really comes down to money, then the potential economic advantages of hosting anything in the United States outweigh just about any other concern.

9. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    You're a bit thick aren't you?

To both of you I refer you to an argument I made regarding the suitability of hosts.
    Ideally the hosts should have embraced the game in a large way, well before the WC is awarded. Secondly there should be the finances available.

Europe: Has both - wonderful.
    SA: Has footballing infrastructure, but not much cash of late.
    Africa: Has no money and precious little infrastructure (but it's a massively popular game there)

Well... you get the gist of what I'm saying.

If neither of you believe that in an ideal world Europe and SA head the list of most appropriate places to host the WC, then there's something wrong.

At the top you have Europe - and at the bottom you'd have somewhere that has no money and doesn't like the game as a whole. And in between we have everyone else. Do you now understand the scale I've been using?

10. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    If it was to come down completely to money then the WC would be held in the EU everytime as the EU is now the single biggest consumer market.

The US had the WC in '94 and now just has to wait its turn like every other country.

Crowdie

11. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think there needs to be a move away from "continents" hosting world cups and a move towards countries hosting them. Rotation is a nice idea for about 1 turn for each continent, then the rather large obvious holes appear in the arguement.
    Should Oceania, which effectively means Australia, host the world cup as often as the whole of Europe? Only if you believe the answer is yes can you claim rotation makes sense. Personally I'd like to see stadium guidelines relaxed, allowing smaller stadiums, say 30,000 capacity, and therefore allowing more countries to bid.

I'd like to the European championships guidelines reduced further for the same reason. Official allocations for visiting teams are so small anyway it'd hardly make a difference, and fans I know who actually go to watch England in the qualifiers always get a ticket anyway (and they are the only ones who can really claim to have any 'right' to go to the matches). The way things are going there are loads of countries who will never host a tournament. I think it's a shame a country like Hungary or the Czech Republic have little chance of hosting. I think they'd appreciate it far more than fans in one of the bigger nations.

12. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Personally I believe that the confederations need to work together rather then against each other as they currently do. So many of the problems with international soccer can be linked to the confederation structure.

Crowdie

13. Stinkey Turner

Dec 15, 2000
    SO Crowdie, I'm sure you can have this little arguement on your own when your own federation starts bickering over who gets to host...I'm crossing my fingers for Fiji!

14. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I don't believe that FIFA will ever let an Oceania country host the WC. If they tried then UEFA and South Amercia would stamp their feet and FIFA would take the hosting rights away - just like they did with the automatic World Cup qualification position.

Oceania is the confederation the other confederations ignore. FIFA needs to have every country in a confederation and the AFC is too large to house the OFC countries and SA is too far away. As long as the OFC keeps quiet and doesn't interfere with the "real" confederations we are tolerated.

Crowdie

15. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nothing to do with UEFA. Oceania getting a full or half qualification spot didn't make the slightest difference to them.

16. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Then why did UEFA vote against Oceania's full qualification spot?

The answer is that by giving SA another half spot it takes SA's focus away from their complaint that UEFA has too many spots.

Crowdie

17. Germanshepherd

Germanshepherd New Member

May 19, 2003
    Rostock, Deutschland
    Thats a joke, isn`t it, blackpool?

18. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Re: Re: World Cups And Euro Championships In Disapointing Countries 4 Years To Come

You would almost think there is an issue between England and Germany supporters and England and Turkey supporters and England and ..... :)

Crowdie

19. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Regarding Eagle Winged

And they say Americans know nothing of geography. FYI, South Africa is at the same latitude as southern Japan, California or Spain, none of which are known for their super hot winters.

Also, UEFA doesn't host all the world cups for the same reason Man U doesn't play every single game in Old Trafford: There's this thing called home field advantage which means that it would be ridiculously unsporting to do that. Of course, I get the sense that blackpool would mind that.

G.