World Cups And Euro Championships In Disapointing Countries 4 Years To Come

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by blackpool fc mark, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I was referring to their soccer status rather than their physical size. If it was done on physical size then the UK would never see the WC again as it is physically smaller than New Zealand :)

Crowdie.

2. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    wow.

dumb thread.

3. skyboy

skyboy New Member

Jul 16, 2003
    New York City
    dumb thread i agree...

but one thing for blackpool fc mark,
    you said you are young (19 i guess), but you say things like you've been to every soccer pitch in the world! have you?

by the way, you england has an on going struggle with fear over violence for euro qualifying match against turkey (sven having press conference every other day to plead fans not to go to turkey for last month or so) and, as i remember correctly, when england played turkey at your own soil, you couldn't even control crowd coming into the pitch for rather smaller game and venue. what makes you think that you can host world cup withour any problem?

4. Eagle Winged

Eagle Winged New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    Pathway to Living
    Hhhmmmmm..................

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/africa/south_africa/johannesburg_fnb.jpg
    Johannesburg FNB Stadium 90 000

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/africa/south_africa/johannesburg_ellis.jpg
    Johannesburg Ellis Park 59 611

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/africa/south_africa/durban_absa.jpg
    Durban ABSA Stadium 55 000

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/africa/south_africa/pretoria_loftus.jpg
    Pretoria Securicor Loftus 52 000

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/africa/south_africa/cape_town_newlands.jpg
    Cape Town Newlands Stadium 50 900

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/africa/south_africa/qwa_qwa_mopeli.jpg
    Qwa Qwa Charles Mopeli Stadium 50 000

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/africa/south_africa/johannesburg_stadium.jpg
    Johannesburg Johannesburg Stadium 37 500

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/africa/south_africa/bloemfontein_rugby.jpg
    Bloemfontein Free State Stadium 36 538

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/africa/south_africa/port_elizabeth_eprfu.jpg
    Port Elizabeth EPRFU Stadium 33 852

Plus:
    Pretoria Odi Stadium 60 000
    Pietersburg Thoyandu Stadium 35 000
    Pietersburg Pietersburg Stadium 35 000
    Durban Chatsworth Stadium 35 000
    Johannesburg Rand Stadium 30 000
    Rustenburg Olympia Stadium 30 000
    Plus alot more stadiums under 30,000.

You obviously know jack all about South Africa as a country, and even its stadia. So please refrain from making comments, unless you wish to embaress yourself again.
    Thats 7 stadiums with a 50,000+ capacity in South Africa, ALREADY. How many does England have? Moron.

5. blackpool fc mark

blackpool fc mark New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    BLACKPOOL
    Regarding Eagle Winged

Having read you comparing english stadia with african stadia all i can say is i havent had a laugh like that for some time.

You show us many african stadia, some of which are impressive but then show me any countries the size of s. africa that dosent have at least a few decent stadia and i will be surprised. But the majority are merely concrete bowls, with no shelter for fans (which would be nice when the temp hits 120+ degrees), with standing areas (not allowed in a world cup or any other major tournement), or only have 3 sides to the ground! Very Impressive.
    You also include Rugby grounds, I'll let you have that as you are obviously scrapping the barrel, however england would not use rugby stadia because we wouldnt have to (even though twickenham holds around 80000).

Now compare to the english stadiums.

Old Trafford, Anfield, St. James, Stadium of LIght, Stamford Bridge, St. Marys, City of Manchester stadium, Walkers Stadium, The Riverside, Villa Park.... i could go on.

All these stadiums are cutting edge, all seater stadiums, with ROOFS and top facilities, brilliant playing surfaces (that arent scorched by the sun), and are SAFE. You see, when we had the hillsborough disaster in the 80's we learnt from that and moved on by making are grounds safe, amongst the safest you will find. When was s. africa's last stadium disaster that resulted in death? Not so long ago or have you convieniantly forgt? English police and stewards Know how to police a football match and its fans. Do s. african police? Im not so sure.

Oh yeah, i didnt even include New Wembley which will be ready by 2005 november or earlier as its ahead of schedule. A 90000 all seater stadium which will be the very best football facility the world has ever seen, can anything in s. africa stand up 2 that? Dont think so.

You well and truly have made yourself look a fool by trying to compare english and african stadia. Try looking at the situation without the bias that you clearly have and you will see africa have alot of work to do with there stadia before they can host a world cup.

6. Eagle Winged

Eagle Winged New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    Pathway to Living
    blackpool, you're now proving your hypocrisy and bias. How many of the USA's stadiums used in WC 1994 were "soccer" stadiums? NONE, they were all American football stadiums. Just look at the WWC at the moment, again all matches being played in American football stadiums......where they havent even bothered to remove the lines in some matches! All the MLS teams use American football stadiums aswell! So whether some of the stadia in South Africa are used for Rugby aswell or not is completly irrelevant.
    Some football clubs and rugby teams share stadiums, is that hard to comphrehend? It happens plenty in England you know.

As for stadium roofs, thats another contradictory point. The South African stadia has mostly the same designs as Spain. Look at Spanish stadia and see how many have roofs, or have any more than in SA. Not many USA stadiums have roofs either.Nearly all the SA stadiums are all seaters, so thats another mute point. Please, show me this "majority"? It would be especially interesting, considering you've never even seen most of the stadiums you're talking about.

As for the security, is this the same security which allows fans to run onto the pitch, or the ones which allow the local thugs to run havoc on the terraces? Though i'll give you this one, the security does need to be improved. Just like with Japan and Korea, when they had to prepare for the influx of English thugs.

Your meantioning of Wembley is another contradictary point. You see no aspect of upgrades and improvements to SA stadia, and yet in the same breath meantion an English stadium which isnt even built yet. :rolleyes:

Also, stop showing your moronic nature. Where have i compared African stadia to English? You do realise South Africa is a single country right?

And please answer my simple question: how many stadiums does England have above 50,000? Also, please disprove that SA doesnt have stadiums with large enough capacity......because that was part of your main point in the first place. You've merely ranted on about other crap, because i disproved you.

You can moan and moan and moan all you want. The fact of the matter is; the WC isnt going anywhere near England, or even Europe or North America for a long long time. Live with it.

7. c.topfer

c.topfer New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    The risk you run of letting UEFA have every second WC is that the other confederations may stop looking at the WC as a world tournament and more a UEFA charity tournament (UEFA already has the Euro tournament). This would not be good for world soccer.

The tournement should be held in the most suitable country within reason. England has the best stadia in the world nobody can argue that, so why did germany get 2006? Its crazy.

You are obviously still pissed that Germany got to host WC 2006 instead of England. If you remember it was not a race between Germany and England, but Germany and South Africa. Sure England does have very nice stadia right now, but Germany will have the best in 2006. Don´t you know that almost every stadium here is being rebuilt from the scratch for 2006 (except the stadiums that are already new like Schalke´s Arena (host of 2004 CL Final) or Hamburg´s stadium). So you indeed are on a high horse, Germany got 2006 because everybody knew the German´s would deliver and we have a good infrastructure. Now I am half English, but honestly, German and English infrastructures don´t compare (does railways ring a bell here?). Germany has the benefit of being in the heart of Europe so it is much easier for people from say France, Italy or Holland to come here instead of going to England.

8. DoorKnob

DoorKnob New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    DC
    Re: Regarding Eagle Winged

I'm not familar with winters in South Africa, but I doubt it gets that warm.

9. blackpool fc mark

blackpool fc mark New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    BLACKPOOL
    regarding doorknob

the tournement will be held in the summer so it is likely such temps could be achieved

also to adress WINGED EAGLES remarks, yes u r correct about usa, there grounds are not soccer grounds but the fact is the w/c went to usa for financial reasons, and a good world cup it was by the way.

Also from the grounds i mentioned none share with rugby teams, i guess u must of just hoped they did to try prove your point.

English security is much better than s. african so u cant really have a go at it. On a weekly soccer program here in england they regularly show clips from football violence in africa but they show it in a comedic tone because its so outragous, these clips include players kicking referees, terrace riots and most bizareely a player being sent off for using "witchcraft" im not joking.

you are right about wembley not yet ready due to it being torn down and improved from scratch but u miss the point. How many s.african grounds need improvements to host a world cup?

And finally u keep going on about 50000 capacity grounds. Yes ur right we dont have 7 but i wud prefer to have 3 stadiums above and 4 jus below 50000 than have 7 concrete bowls. There is no comparison.
    Did japan/korea have 7 above 50000 NO
    Did france NO
    Did Italy NO

10. Gar7

Gar7 New Member

Feb 7, 2001
    Southington, CT
    Eagle, need to correct your post about MLS teams all playing in NFL stadia. Actually, only six play ion NFL stadiums. LA, and Columbus have their own, soccer(sorry, football) specific stadia. San Jose plays at a college venue and Dallas plays at a high school pitch, while their new home is being built.

11. Eagle Winged

Eagle Winged New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    Pathway to Living
    blackpool, and where did i say usa 94 wasnt a good world cup? And SA will be aswell.
    Where did i also say that any of the stadiums you meantioned were rugby grounds aswell?

Please tell me the name of this soccer program (an Englishman calling football, soccer? Wow) where they reguarly show these said clips. And you seem to be confused again, how does S Africa equate to Africa, and vice versa? And those incidents in the clips (which only 1 of is even relevant to hosting a world cup, how players and referees come into your argument is beyond me), would they be anything like these, from Europe and South America:

http://www.homestead.com/fvsra/files/brawl.mpeg

http://www.homestead.com/fvsra/files/yellow_card.mpeg

http://www.homestead.com/fvsra/files/chase_the_ref.mpeg

http://www.homestead.com/fvsra/files/fans_argue.mpg

http://www.homestead.com/fvsra/files/ref_fights_back.mpeg

How many SA need improvements? Not many. How many German stadiums need improvements? How many Japanese and Korean stadiums need improvements? Hell, they even had to build from scratch.

Why do you keep going on about concrete bowls? None are. And however much you'd like to deny, theres plenty of comparison. As i said earlier, and as others have now done; you need to get off your high horse.

12. highgarden

highgarden New Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: regarding doorknob

If the tournament is held in South Africa it will be during their winter. The highs will be in the 70's.

13. skyboy

skyboy New Member

Jul 16, 2003
    New York City
    Re: regarding doorknob

And finally u keep going on about 50000 capacity grounds. Yes ur right we dont have 7 but i wud prefer to have 3 stadiums above and 4 jus below 50000 than have 7 concrete bowls. There is no comparison.
    Did japan/korea have 7 above 50000 NO
    Did france NO
    Did Italy NO
    [/QUOTE]

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/02/en/da/v/index.html

that will be 20 stadia above 40000 and among them 8 above 50000...

and most of them brand new or less than 10years old...with roofs and wings and all those pretty things, just to make you happy

actually, you are NOT the moron...I AM, for keep replying to your jibberish

14. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Have you been watching the news?

At the moment FIFA plans to play 2014 in South America and all South American nations are backing a Brazlian bid.

So, barring any big changes we already know where 2014 will be.

15. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    :rolleyes:

The only valid argument that you can cough up is our expensive prices. Uhh...improving grounds? Newsflash, out of the 8 stadiums only the Happel stadium in Vienna has been standing for longer than 10 years. A Euro Cup in two beautiful countries in brand new stadiums? Yeah what a bad idea...

The Ireland/Scotland bid was rejected because Ireland can't manage to even build a new national stadium. The Switzerland/Austria bid was the best one and deservingly won, period.

16. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Re: Re: World Cups And Euro Championships In Disapointing Countries 4 Years To Come

The Ireland/Scotland bid was not helped by the GAA in Ireland not letting the FAI use Croke Park (http://www.gaa.ie/html/virtual/crowd.html) in Dublin - one of the largest stadiums in Europe.

Crowdie.

17. Re: regarding doorknob

I don't see the World Cup being played on January.
    Did you know that June is winter south of the equator? You need to know something about the world outside England before to talk about it.

18. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    With the WC rotation system:

2010 Africa
    2014 South America

That leaves Europe, Asia, CONCACAF and Oceania

2018 Europe?
    2022 CONCACAF?
    2026 Asia?
    2030 Oceania

Boy are the Europeans going to hate the Oceania World Cup. All the games will be played in the middle of the European night.

Crowdie.

19. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Re: Re: Regarding Eagle Winged

Doorknob I don't know if you're a sock-puppet...

but thats a great post.

Unless you ARE a sockpuppet.

In which case I hope you get bitten by a stray poodle.

(not really)

20. c.topfer

c.topfer New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    I am of course happy with Euro 08 being in Austria/Switzerland, it´s almost like having the WC succeeded by a EC in your country (same language, easy to travel to). I suppose same goes for Austrians and Swiss.

Austria/Switzerland was chosen for pretty much the same reasons that Germany was chosen for WC 06:
    In the heart of Europe, easy to travel to, and at least with the Swiss you are absolutely sure they deliver what they promise. The Scots wanted to play 2 or 3 matches a day in Glasgow, a nightmare for UEFA with all the different fan groups. Imagine a matchday with England, Holland, Germany and Turkey all playing in Glasgow on the same day.

I absolutely believe it is about time to give the WC to Brazil again, last time it was there was in 1950! They just made a horrible bid for 06, I hoped they have learned from this...

I am not so sure about a WC for Oceania, frankly, I can´t see it going there. You could call it the Australia WC, I can´t see another country able to stage it and with the two most important markets, SA and Europe in a completely different time zone, I expect HEAVY opposition to an Oceania WC. I too believe that Europe will find a way to get the WC more often than every 5th time, and it would be correct this way.

Out if 11 teams that made the WC final, 8 were from Europe. Europe has the most countries with the infrastructure AND the soccer history to host such an event. I too think it is a good idea to have the WC in places like Asia or Africa to promote the game, BUT not in an alternating manner like proposed by Blatter. Something like every 3rd WC to Europe would be ok I think.

21. Rambler

Rambler New Member

May 6, 2003
    Every third WC for Europe sounds about right to me too. I suppose a price you have to pay for the burgeoning International football scene is giving up the odd world cup.

However, ENGLAND SHOULD BE GIVEN ONE OF THE NEXT THREE OR FOUR WORLD CUPS. WE ARE THE HOME OF FOOTBALL, WE GAVE FOOTBALL TO THE WORLD AND EVERYONE LOVES ENGLISH FOOTBALL. WE CREATE THE BEST ATMOSPHERE AT MATCHES AND HAVE THE MOST PASSIONATE FANS. AN ENGLISH WORLD CUP WOULD BE THE BEST EVER.

Sort it out FIFA you dickwads

22. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rambler, your English, no one likes an Englishman talking like that, whether he's telling the truth (which you are) or not. You don't want to upset people.

23. Rambler

Rambler New Member

May 6, 2003
    Aye, you're right Pigs. You know we couldnt organise a piss-up in a Brewery, let alone host a World Cup. Much better to give the damn thing to the foriegners. They do a much better job .

Wasn't like this during ther days of the Empire you know.

24. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    If the WC does go on a proper rotation system, it will become a farce. In N. America and Australasia there are ony so few countries capable of hosting that they will receive the tournament as often as Europe.
    If Europe gets the WC every 20 years, nations such as England will be hosting once every century.
    While I understand FIFA's desire to spread the game, we must look after the countries which made the game. Europe is the home of football, it is where all the best clubs are, the most passionate fans, and most importantly the money is. If we only host every as often as Australia I can fully see UEFA leaving FIFA.

25. c.topfer

c.topfer New Member

Jun 25, 2002