World Cups And Euro Championships In Disapointing Countries 4 Years To Come

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by blackpool fc mark, Oct 1, 2003.

1. blackpool fc mark

blackpool fc mark New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    BLACKPOOL
    As a big football fan i have allways wanted to go and watch england in a world cup or european championships. That has not been possible in the past, mostly because of my age, im only 19. But now im going to portugal next year (as long as england qualify, which they will) im very happy, however, after portugal there isnt any w/c's or e/c's that appeal to me. Lets look at the forth coming host nations.

Germany 2006 - the best of a bad bunch, the grounds will need improving,why this place was picked from the other nations i'll never know. It certainly wasnt the best candidate by a long shot

Austria/Switzerland - 2008 joint nations not a good idea, both team will have byes so that leaves just 14 places up 4 grabs, its an expensive place (beer cost £4-5 in switzerland), a lot of money will need to be spent on improving grounds, Why scotland/Irelands joint bid was rejected is anybodies guess they allready have most of the grounds in place

2010 - Definatley an african nation - I have nothing against africa holding the event but only if they can afford it and do the contest justice, im not sure the grounds will be ready in time or the finance, security etc

I have also heard rumours that peru will bid for the 2014 w/c and fifa will encourage there bid

So if your a englishmen like me there are not to many desireable locations to look forward to regarding upcoming w/c's and e/c's. Im not saying these countries are horrible places, im sure there great to go on holiday to, but can they put on a great tournement that will make me want to get up and be there? That is something im not confident on, hope im wrong! What do you think?

2. Eagle Winged

Eagle Winged New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    Pathway to Living
    No offense, but i think you need to get off your high horse.

3. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    where exactly have you heard these rumours??

peru is hosting copa america 2004

thats about all they can host

4. blackpool fc mark

Oct 1, 2003
    BLACKPOOL
    Im asking can these countries deliver a great tournement, not saying they cant, you know, seeing what other peoples views are. Im certainly not on a "high horse"

5. blackpool fc mark

Oct 1, 2003
    BLACKPOOL
    iI heard the rumour about peru 2014 bid on a tv program called soccer am, just thought u wud like to know. I am aware its just a rumour, hence, thats why i said its a rumour

6. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    With FIFA rotating the WC around the confederations (a great way to stop the confederations fighting with each other for hosting rights) supporters are just going to have to get used to travelling to see the games.

I can't see the 2010 WC going to any country except South Africa and I am sure that they will be ready for it. If you want to go the the 2010 WC then go. The cultures in Africa are very different to want you are used to and it is the best way to open your eyes to what other cultures have to offer.

I have read that a number of UEFA countries were not happy having the 2002 WC in Japan/Korea beause of the travelling time and time difference. Imagine what they will think when the OFC gets their turn to host the WC.

Crowdie.

7. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    How would you like to visit the USA in 2014?

8. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    1994 US
    1998 France (Europe)
    2002 Japan/Korea (Asia)
    2006 Germany (Europe)
    2010 Africa

It might be South America's turn :)

Crowdie.

9. blackpool fc mark

Oct 1, 2003
    BLACKPOOL
    Have you noticed a pattern?

82 SPAIN - EUROPE
    86 MEXICO
    90 ITALY - EUROPE
    94 USA
    98 FRANCE - EUROPE
    02 *#*#*#/KOR
    06 GERMANY - EUROPE
    10 AFRICAN NATION
    14 I WONDER WHERE THIS WILL BE? ERRR EUROPE?

10. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Re: Have you noticed a pattern?

The rules changed after the 2006 WC because the WC is now being rotated between the confederations. The question, though, is will UEFA wait its turn (once every 24 years). Somehow I don't think they will.

Crowdie.

11. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    FIFA should give the World Cup to the best candidate country, the best country in the world that can host a World Cup. Obviously if say....Brazil was the best in the World to host it all the time, it shouldn't be given it every four years, more like every 20.

FIFA won't do this because they know that the World Cup will keep on coming back to Europe. The home of UEFA. FIFA hates the power that UEFA has. So they want other regions to catch up, they think they can help other regions catch up by letting the other regions host it.

Why host a world cup on a different continent with second class facilities, security etc. When you can host it on a continent that has the best?

12. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Or they believe they they can promote soccer in the smaller confederations by having the WC in their countries.

Have you ever attended a game in say South Africa. The stadiums they are extremely impressive.

Crowdie.

13. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Did S. Africa have a problem with the Rugby World Cup?

Is peru not a pretty enough Country?

It sounds to me like your problem is that you're too poor to travel to these places, which is also my problem.

Otherwise I think they're great spots for the WC.

Can't host all of them.

14. blackpool fc mark

Oct 1, 2003
    BLACKPOOL
    Have you ever attended a game in say South Africa. The stadiums they are extremely impressive.

Crowdie. [/B][/QUOTE]

No they have very few stadiums with a large enough capacity or safety standards that match those of the top countries i.e. england, spain

15. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is not about me complaining about travelling half way around the world to see a World Cup.

All I'm saying is that the best country to host a world up should be give the chance. Peru, South Africa.....maybe they can host a World Cup, but are they the best?

answer = no

16. blackpool fc mark

Oct 1, 2003
    BLACKPOOL

17. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's where I'm going. (I'll be the one with the England shirt on ;)

18. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    The risk you run of letting UEFA have every second WC is that the other confederations may stop looking at the WC as a world tournament and more a UEFA charity tournament (UEFA already has the Euro tournament). This would not be good for world soccer.

Crowdie.

19. blackpool fc mark

Oct 1, 2003
    BLACKPOOL

20. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    England's history of football violence didn't help.

I haven't been to Portugal so I can't comment.

That's a big call seven years out from a World Cup.

Crowdie.

21. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Because of the hooligan pr1cks at Euro 2000, of course the Germans and Turkish also had hooligans at the tournament, but they were overlooked as usual.

FIFA obviously didn't take notice of the huge success of Euro 96'. But then again, hosting Euro 96' had a bearing on it to.

I wouldn't say England have the best stadiums in the world, but overall definetely one of the best countries in the world to host a World Cup.

22. blackpool fc mark

Oct 1, 2003
    BLACKPOOL

23. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    There are a large number of countries that don;t have any football violence at all. Why shouldn't these smaller nations be allowed to host the WC?

Crowdie.

24. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Depending on your taste, England is hosting the women's Euro 2005 (and the atmosphere should be much better than for women's matches over here).

25. blackpool fc mark

Oct 1, 2003
    BLACKPOOL
    You have just answered your own question. They are small countries and nearly every small country in the world would not be able to host a world cup