World Cup

Discussion in 'Ecuador - National Team' started by Primitive Ways, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Cris 09 repped this.
  2. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Cris 09 and DrScorpio repped this.
  3. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Fair enough. Feel free to come up with your own list. I can claim to have watched all these teams. And I have decent ball knowledge. There is just no way Ecuador belongs much higher. CONMEBOL is on a decline and it will show off in Qatar. Even Uruguay might struggle to get out of their group. One major reason why you guys qualified was lack of compeition in CONMEBOL this cycle.
    And last but not least I bet on an European winner again. The time isn't ripe yet for Brazil or Argentina to win even though I placed Brazil on the very top of my list.

4. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Germany at 11th? LOL

5. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Did you not see all the holes at the back in the Nations League? Germany are a very unbalanced side that lacks the individual quality they used to have. No world class players but several players who pop off occasionally and too many fellow travellers.
    I predict Spain and Japan to pass. Especially if Musiala doesn't start. He's Germany's only bright spot.

6. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    I already posted it in the Argentina forum but since people HERE doubt my ball knowledge I guess I have to post this one here as well.

Here my finalised grade list for EURO 2020 posted two months ahead of the start of the competition:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/euro-2020-power-rankings.2107490/page-3

#Post 61

In hindsight barring very few bad gradings I did a good job in projecting which teams would fear well and surprise and which ones would do nothing significant.

Basically all teams that went to the quarterfinals (including Denmark, Ukraine and Switzerland) and further were ranked and graded highly. Even the Czechs who before the tournament were pretty much overlooked by almost everyone were relatively high in my list. France losing so early was an anomaly. 2nd place rated Portugal exited to the team I rated 3rd place. And Belgium ranked 3rd place exited to Italy in 4th place but both had the same grade. So, that is absolutely fine as well.
    So, it was the bad luck of the draw that prevented some top ranked sides from going very deep.

All semi-finalists were ranked from 4th to 7th. And I graded them all into the A category (yeah even Denmark who weren't rated much by people back then)
    Looking at my bottom 8 teams 6 of them were indeed eliminated in the group stage. Only Wales and Austria did better than what I anticipated.

7. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes, I did see all the holes. I also saw England who you have ranked as 7th.

8. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    England are better than Germany. The fact that they finished behind Germany in the Nations league doesn't take anything away from it. England have a better squad than Germany. More individual quality, more depth.

This is the Ecuador forum. Let's not discuss other teams like Germany.

All I can say is that there is a reason for every team why I placed them where I did.

9. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    It doesn't make the judgement calls any more/less fallible, but your observations are anecdotal and not rooted in hard data- which makes it susceptible to overt and/or passive biases. Productive conversations can move ahead with an explanation of the methodology as it would be useful for others to try and challenge your system on its merits and weaknesses.

Germany not having "world class players" means what, exactly? To me, that's a red flag statement regarding impartiality. The squad is objectively VERY strong, and if they're not stronger than 4 squads according to the bookmakers, that puts the team in the 85th percentile.

Cris 09 repped this.
  10. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    By his logic we can say that Ecuador is as good as Germany since none of them have world class players therefore we should be placed along with them. I don’t want to shit on Canada but it can be said that they only qualified because they played in -100 temps.

Cris 09 repped this.
  11. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    My methodolgy is like this:

80% is current perofrmances and results (say from the last 1.5 years)
    20% is potential I see in the squad

The main focus is on current performances e.g. how did the team finish in the latter stages of qualfying coupled with the friendly performances in the last couple of windows.

Of course my list isn't rooted in hard data. I always watch teams by myself and make up my mind on them by that. So, I give every team a fair chance to impress me. I don't use the FIFA World Rankings or the ELO Ratings to determine my placements.

By the way bias is always involved if you have to make decisions. It's just the way it is. My team Albania didn't qualify and therefore I don't have any team to root for. So that makes me unbiased at least on paper.

Germany isn't developping world class talent left and right anymore. Espceially no world class forwards. There's a big void since Klose retired. Well, what is a world class player for me? Somebody who belongs to the top 6-8 players in his position in the world.

12. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Neither is England. they rely on Kane every single match. France? Who do they have? Germany at least have a forward/wing options in Reus, Brandt, Sane, Gnarby, Adeyami, Moukoko, Werner and Havertz. That's not a team that finished 11th.

13. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    20 days left!!!!!!

14. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    And counting!

Some of our guys are coming in with the knives extra-sharpened. Hopefully it carries over to a great tournament. Let's make history :)

15. Wankdorf 1954

Wankdorf 1954 Member

1.FC Kaiserslautern
    Germany
    Dec 21, 2013
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Can someone tell me where the PMA blocks of the Ecuador fans are against the Netherlands and against Senegal ( block numbers )

16. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Is this in reference to the stadium seating assignments?

17. Wankdorf 1954

Wankdorf 1954 Member

1.FC Kaiserslautern
    Germany
    Dec 21, 2013
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Yes , in which block the Ecuador fans will be ( federation contingent PMA )- vs Netherlands and vs Senegal .
    I have TST 7 Ecuador

18. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    A supposedly list of the forwards we are taking to the WC has leaked. Count us in to not score any goles.

Cris 09 repped this.
  19. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    14 days from now.

20. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    My dad just came back from Ecuador and got us all jerseys. I have to say the yellow one is the best one.

6031164E-C332-4659-8D07-B844AFE08AE0.jpeg

Allan_Somewhere, Cris 09 and LDU4ever repped this.
  21. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Marathon did a really great job with the home and alternates. The third jersey won't be used but it's really nice, too. They added some great details to all the jerseys, and in a world cup where so many kits are gross, Ecuador's jerseys shine brighter.

I've got a home and blue alternate from a buddy who went to GYE and brought them back. Ready for the WC!

Allan_Somewhere and Cris 09 repped this.
  22. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was there...in Hamburg!!!!

Kamtedrejt, LDU4ever and Primitive Ways repped this.
  23. Allan_Somewhere

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I have a hard time deciding between the blue and yellow...

24. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    In that case:
    The only rational answer is BOTH :)

25. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Best kits I have seen from Marathon. I remember when this shit was the norm...

[​IMG]

LDU4ever repped this.