World Cup, World Baseball Classic, Olympics or FIBA: Poll on ESPN

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by helmet, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    and the winner is....

who says baseball isn't dead...

2. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I like the state by state breakdown. It appears the states hardest hit by Katrina were blown back into the 1950's. They can pretend Red Barber is calling the game on radio and dream of being Micky Mantle.

And Wisconson and Oklahoma want MLS teams. Screw em. Let them watch pitchers throw 50 non-breaking pitches in the "World Championships" and Biathlon.

Carry Cali, NY, Texas and Fla and the WC will win.

3. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the more colorful SportsNation maps I've seen in quite some time.

The East Coast (minus Red Sox Nation) and the SouthWest and Cali (at 45%!) are for the World Cup. The SouthEast is all about baseball (some small samples, though), and the MidWest (hockeyland) is for the Olympics.

4. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    this is jioe six pack, average sports fan on espn...

soccer #1...

10 years ago this would NOT have happened...

who says the cultural dynamic is NOT changing in this country

5. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which, unfortunately, shows once again that "soccer fan" and "MLS fan" are far from the same thing.

6. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    but 42% voting soccer is an enormous PRO soccer vote....

7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Okay, World Baseball Classic. WTF? Do they mean world series, or is baseball now doing a World Cup version? Good for them if they are, but I've never heard of it (I don't live stateside though). I don't know if this shows a cultural shift, though. It might show that soccer fans take to the internet more than others. It also might reflect that in the list there are only two legit competitions, and the US has never been that big on the winter olys.

8. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. I have no doubt that there is tremendous demand in this country for soccer played at the highest level.

And yes, the World Baseball Classic is essentially a World Cup of Baseball.

9. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ^I also believe that this is significant for the following reason:

WC/MLS/USNTs are key players in making the transition from a soccer participant nation into a soccer spectator nation.

I'm sure there's also ballot stuffing, however.

10. stevewhit0

stevewhit0 New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    I wonder how much Real Salt Lake has to do with the World Cup leading the Winter Olympics by 1% in Utah.

11. 7Jam

7Jam New Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Allston Rock City
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as this is a pro-soccer vote, it's also a "we don't care about hockey anymore" vote and a "the World Baseball Classic is a farce" vote.

12. stevewhit0

stevewhit0 New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    A little ballot stuffing but not enough to say that this is a bigsoccer get out the vote poll. 66k voted and the world cup is still leading.

13. kal-el

kal-el New Member

Aug 17, 2000
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did you guys get to the map?

14. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The map? hell i don't even see a poll. I need to put in one soccer vote from Alabama.

15. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, baseball is now holding a world cup thingy.

http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/index?region=global&news_item_id=158983

"Many of the world's leading stars will compete in the inaugural World Baseball Classic, World Baseball Classic Inc. announced yesterday.

They include Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Johnny Damon, Derek Jeter, Andruw Jones, Pedro Martinez, David Ortiz, Albert Pujols, Manny Ramirez and Alex Rodriguez."

16. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    The World Baseball Classic is a good idea, but they have some really dumb rules. First, they will have pitch counts, to protect the star pitchers so their club teams don't get hurt by it. Dumb. And second, even worse, you can play for a country if your parent or grandparent came from there. Mike Piazza will be playing for Italy. Come on.

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's good that you're not making too much out of a goofy ESPN.com poll.

18. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Actually, it also reveals the depth of a pitching staff, which is otherwise difficult to do in so few games. I'm in favor of it.

Hi, I'm David Regis, pleased to meet you.

A bigger problem is there's only 16 teams in the WBC, and even at that they're struggling to make up the field. US Vs Dominican Republic is a game I want to see. Australia-Italy? Not so much.

At any rate, the WBC suffers from not actually having been played yet, but I think it's also true that after 94, most Americans appreciate the passion and true world-wide appeal of the World Cup, even if they aren't huge soccer fans.

19. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Btw, I no longer see that poll on ESPN. Instead, it's "who will win?" with the US coming in first, so there's a big FWIW on that one.

20. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Who will win the world baseball classic? I'd think the US has a very good shot. The basketball thing as well.
    Cup is a different matter.

21. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    No, who will win the world cup. Needless to say the international votes weren't as enthusiastic. :)

22. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I actualy really look forward to the World Baseball Championship.

All the best will be playing. The pitch count is going to force strategy among the managers,. The only downside is that none of the great players are going to be any where near mid-season form since this will happen in March.

it helps that I'm a baseball fan though

23. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Impressive since the poll probably didn't include many people who speak Spanish as a first language. Yes, I know some of them would have voted for the baseball, but not most.

Apples and Oranges. Is Piazza an Italian citizen? Maybe he is, I'm just asking. Regis became a US citizen via the most straightforward, uncontroversial and easiest path - marriage.

24. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    I'd have liked to see the map.