World Cup Winning Formations :: Does Marca Have This Correct?

Discussion in 'Soccer History' started by Twenty26Six, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys,

I stumbled across this today: http://www.marca.com/2010/06/16/multimedia/graficos/1276709736.html

It is basically a flash graphic of all the supposed WC winning formations from '30-'10.

I've noticed that some seem to be very accurate (Brasil '02) and some don't seem to be very accurate (France '98). I'm not sure on a few others, like Italy '82.

Can someone verify how these look? It's a nice site. I'm just not sure how accurate it really is.

2. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I'd agree on France '98 (Zidane wasn't playing as a left winger was he?) and also Brazil '02 (arguably Kleberson, like Juninho earlier in the tournament, might be more accurately shown to the right of Gilberto Silva but the formation is definately correct and Kleberson and Gilberto would be the central midfielders).
    With Brazil '94 I think they have Dunga and Mazinho mixed-up position-wise.
    I know Kempes was playing quite deep ie not an out-and-out striker, but I didn't think lining him up at the same level of the team as Ardiles was accurate (seems like at least a second striker wheras Ardiles was a centre mid).
    Not sure about Gerson's position in '70 either, though showing that Brazil side in a set formation perhaps isn't easy.
    Did Burrachaga and Valdano have the roles shown in '86? Maybe, cos I was young and have only seen highlights of Argentina in '86 since, but I thought Burrachaga was more of a right-winger and Valdano a centre-forward with Maradona, as shown, as an attacking mid/second striker.

3. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot about the Dunga and Mazinho being mixed on the 94 graphic. Definitely seems to be wrong.

I think Zidane did play to the left in '98, but I don't think karembau could be classified as a right midfielder, not Djourkaeff as part of a forward paring.

4. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I think Marca did a BAD job as most of them were either mixed up postion or not so correct formation.

Let's just go back a few WC's as fresh memory:

- WC94: 4 4 2 with Dunga and Mauro being the 2 DM in middle and Rai/Zinho + Leonardo/Branco on the flanks.

............. Romario
    ................................. bebeto .........

.Rai/Branco ..............................Leonardo/Zinho
    ................ Mauro ........ Dunga....................

- WC98: France started 4 4 2 in group, and then were famous with their 4 5 1 in later stages (turning into 4 2 3 1 in attack) with Zidane and Djorkaef swapping from CAM to LFW

........................... Guivarch ........................

....... Zidane <==> Djorkaef ...... Karembeu ......
    ................... Petit ............Deschamps...........

* WC02: 3 5 2
    ( am surprised that Marca totally screwed up here)

................................ Ronaldo ...............
    .......... Rivaldo ......................................

....................... Ronaldinho.....................
    Carlos ...... Kleberson .....Gilberto .......Cafu

....... R.Junior ..... Edmilson ..... Lucio

* WC06: 4 4 1 1

.......................... Toni .................

..............Totti .............................
    Perrota ............................Camonaresi
    ..............Gatusso ..... Pirlo ................
    Grosso ...............................Zambrotta
    ............Materazi .... Canavaro

5. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    In WC94, Branco was LB, not played on midfield.
    Maybe, you must said: Rai / Mazinho + Zinho/Leonardo
    :)

6. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Leonardo was also a left-back in that tournament. Branco only came in to replace Leonardo after he was sent off against the USA.

7. babaorum

babaorum Member+

Aug 20, 2005
    Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Karembeu didn't play such an advanced position.

France played 4-2-3-1 (or 4-3-3) in first round and in 1/8 vs Paraguay with Henry playing... on the right flank. They also used such a system vs Croatia in 1/2 during a large part of the game.

..........................Petit (Boghossian)...............Deschamps (Vieira).......................

.............Henry (Pires).................Zidane (Djorkaeff).........Djorkaeff (Diomede)......

.......................................Guivarch/Dugarry/Trezeguet...............................................

France played 4-3-1-2 vs Italy in 1/4, vs Croatia in 1/2 until the end of the first half and vs Brazil in final. France played with 3 defensive midfielders... No surprise that this team looked like Fort Knocks. Djorkaeff played as a second striker in a more advanced position than Zidane.

.............Karembeu............Deschamps..............Petit..................

..........................................Zidane...........................................

........................Djorkaeff..........................................................

..............................................Guivarch (Trezeguet, Dugarry).........

8. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Yeah, you're right ;)
    Until 2nd round, Leonardo was LB, and then Branco replace him until final.

9. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    My impresions about olders formations:

Uruguay 30 ---> Nasazzi played similar as sweeper, because Uruguayan used to play one fullback behind the other, just like Swiss verrou. Also, forward line wasn't like WM offensive, but Scarone playing deeper role.

Italy 34---> Insiders playing deeper (similar WM offensive), just like WC38.

Uruguay 50 ---> Matias Gonzalez as sweeper, Tejera as CB, Obdulio as CH/DM, and Schiaffino playing deeper role among forwards.

W.Germany 54---> The side backs playing deeper, along with CB, and maybe Karl Mai more deep than Eckel.

England 66---> The system was more like 4-4-2 with a diamond

Italy 82---> Would be Antognoni instead "Dorado" :confused:

Argentina 86---> Hector Enrique was RWB and Giusti playing alongside Batista, also Maradona more forward than Burruchaga.

The others were comment above.

Nice web!!!

La-Máquina repped this.
  10. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nice summary. Just to help out I'm thinking Marca just used the starting lineups from the actual Final not the first choice or best XI's and Antognoni missed the Final in '82 (think he was injured).
    Having watched a TV programme with the full 120 minutes of the '66 Final I'd say you're definately right that England played effectively a 4-4-2 diamond.

11. Made_Bram

Made_Bram New Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    looking for english version of those please..dont understand what wrote inside those flash graphic

12. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Well you do not miss much!
    They only described what formation the team used (already illustrated) and something they did win goals ...bla bla (which was already record in any WC website like Planetworldcup.com)

For at least half part they did WRONG formation anyway ... very disappointed with Marca ...

msioux75 repped this.
  13. La-Máquina

La-Máquina BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #13 La-Máquina, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    -------------------------------------------------Azzurri '1982

[​IMG]

-------------------------------------------#1.Dino Zoff

----------------------------------------#7.Gaetano Scirea
    -------------------#6.Claudio Gentile---------------#5.Fulvio Collovati
    ---------------------------#13.Gabriele Oriali
    ----------------------------------------------------#14.Marco Tardelli-------#4.Antonio Cabrini
    -----#16.Bruno Conti---------------#9.Giancarlo Antognoni

------------------------------------------------------------------#19.Francesco Graziani
    -----------------------------------------------#20.Paolo Rossi

4-2-3-1 (variant)

Defending
    - Gentile/Collovati can press high to challenge their 'victims', Oriali will cover: both zonal and man-marking.
    - Oriali cleans up infront of the defence, a magnificent worker.
    - Bergomi can come in and play stopper or terzino destro.
    - In Tardelli and Oriali you have the complete defensive pivot.
    - Scirea is both the rock and conductor.

Attacking
    - Antognoni and Conti have freedom across the attacking third: right, left and centre. Antognoni can switch the ball to the opposite flank with his perfect right-foot to Conti/Rossi.
    - When in possession Cabrini plays in the left channel, Graziani swaps wings or floods the opponent's box with Rossi.
    - Get the ball to Antognoni, Conti and Graziani on the counter.
    - Graziani pulls wide left to stretch opponent's defence and find space (seconda punta).
    - Gentile can provide width and delivery on right flank when Conti cuts in.

Many teams play this way today - counter-attack, with changes from left to right, and two creative/goalscoring 'free' inside-forwards, a hard-working striker, with a central midfield pivot offering protection... but there's no Scirea today :( One of the best teams to have won the World Cup.

Twenty26Six, JamesBH11 and msioux75 repped this.
  14. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    I believe Giusti was the carrilero on the right and both Enrique and Burruchaga played in the center of the field in front of Batista and behind Maradona, with Burru with more influence in the offense and Enrique busier with defending.

15. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Really i read both versions.
    And the truth is that neither, H.Enrique or Giusti played regularly as Right Wingback/Mid at club level.
    Enrique usually in a double DM line and Giusti a former #8 then in a double DM line too.

Once repped this.
  16. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    yeah SPOT ON (variant)
    ... as Italy 82 played with original Catenaccio of 5 3 2 (or exact 1 4 3 2 ) where Scirea was a LIBERO (behind back 4 with free movement) while only Rossi and Grazziani are the FW