World Cup vs Champions League

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by West Coast Futbol, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Copa America '95 was on PPV in the States. I distinctly remember Brasil playing the States. I remember a young Roberto Carlos starting for Brasil at LB.

Of course, this was _after_ WC'94. I don't know how much exposure CA '93 would have gotten across North America.

2. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Nicephoras, don't stay away from us, just say something!:)...

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    It works both ways though. There are players like Robinho, Aguero and David Villa in the World Cup that aren't in the Champions League.

This poll would've been a no-brainer 10-15 years ago, but now with all the top notch players around the world flooding to the EPL the quality of Champions League is dropping steadily (and it will continue to drop as long as the # of EPL teams in the CL is kept at 4). I would say that still CL > WC in terms of player quality, but its getting closer and closer each year. That is because the overall quality of the CL depends on the level of parity between different domestic leagues in UEFA.

PS. 'Sheva' is also is not in the Champions League.

4. Big Soccer Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Surrey, England
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    10 years ago you had plenty of great players not playing in the CL. How can you blame the EPL for the CL's demise in quality (if there is one (which there probably isn't))?

5. What????? You hate us, the Clockwork Orange Wizards:eek:

6. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok, Holland, too. I picked you guys to win the World Cup in 06, then I picked you to win Euro 08. I guess I was a little disappointed with your team.:p

7. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I basically agree with those that have been saying that the Champions League is the better quality of football.

The World Cup is the Most important and more exciting but I think the Champions League Winner would be favored to beat the World Cup winner. THe Champions league has better teams especially at the quarterfinal stage

8. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The World Cup is the only soccer competition that still makes me dream.

The Champion's Premier League SUCKS. Why organizing so much preliminary rounds/groupe stage matchs if the SAME 8 teams are always at the end ?

9. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    the group stage and seeded qualifying is pretty much to ensure that those top sides do get there every time. That was those whole point of the champions league, so that top clubs didn't suffer just because some upstart club did something as inconsequential as beating them in a two-leg football match. As the G14 all agreed, that's no basis for deciding which clubs advance to the financially lucrative final rounds.

10. Big Soccer Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Surrey, England
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Why do people keep saying this? Most World Cup matches are incredibly dull, but most Champions League matches are incredibly exiting.

11. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I kind of understand what you mean about the exciting part. 2006 world cup had many low level of football games. But surely you agree the World Cup is more important to win no?

12. GW Emperor

GW Emperor New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The 2006 WC did go a bit downhill following the round of 32 stage, however overall the WC does have far more exciting matches than what we see in the UEFA Champions League, this because more passion, care, and a greater winning attitute go into the WC from the players. The World Cup is by far the most important football competition on the planet, and consists of by far the greater prize.

13. Fried

Fried New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Kridjijimbé
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    In a subjective lecture, I'd say EPL champion has too Englishmen, La Liga champion has too Spanishmen, Serie A champion has too much Italianmen... Excitement or consistency don't seem to me a privilege of CL, but I woudn't feel worthy of comparing Libertadores, not even Club WC, with World Cup though. Of course the last may also be a graceful answer to my subjectiveness...

14. Big Soccer Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Surrey, England
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Of course it is a bigger tournament, that doesn't make it more exiting, does it?

15. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

You just explained it yourself, it wouldent be valued as bigger, if it wasent more exciting.

16. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    If we're going by excitement then the Copa Libertadores can certainly rival the Champions League. The Chelsea-Liverpool match is hard to beat for excitement but last year's Libertadores was easily more exciting than last year's CL, imo.

17. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    One thing you guys should understand is: the 'world', folks, is bigger (much bigger BTW) than one continent, have you ever thought at that?...

'World', continents', countries', cities', there is a hyerarchy in all that, trying to perceive it?:rolleyes:

Yes: there is an 'order' in world football.

This order distributes football tournaments in several levels:

1. World level - World Cup, Confederations Cup/Club's World Championship

2. Continental level - Copa América, EuroCup, Asian Cup, African Cup, Oceanian Cup/ Champions League, Libertadores da América Cup

3. Nation level - national leagues

4. City level - city leagues (in some countries - Brazil, for ex.)

Everything that happens at world level is way more encompassing & exciting to more countries than in continental level.

So the World Cup is necessarilly more important to the world (sorry for repeating the term, but people seem not to be able to distinguish the difference between the 'world'' and a 'continent') than a mere CL.

The best the CL be as a competition.

Any other opinion is biased.:)

18. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Somehow I doubt Confederation Cup or Club WC is more important or encompassing & exciting than EURO, Champions League or Copa America.

19. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    no your opinion is just as biased as anyone elses

how is the Club world Cup more exciting to more countries than the EuroCup?

I stated that the World Cup was more important but the best football on the planet is seen in the Champions league, especially in the later stages.

20. hail columbia

hail columbia New Member

Dec 2, 2006
    New Jersey,U.S.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's all whatever floats your boat...I know the CL has a better quality of Soccer...but to me (me,not necessarily you) the WC is just more fun. I can't explain it really....it's an excitement that only comes around every 4 years.

21. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    You're on your last warning.

22. Fried

Fried New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Kridjijimbé
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Your inclusion of CA makes me think of a top stars based criteria, which for sure may be associated with pecuniarily measurable indexes. Partially agree, with regard to individual quality, but we can't forget a not worthless number of SA players who later will bright in Europe is discovered in Libertadores, when they're still more of eager on being recognized and less of highest remunerated employees (I'm not afraid of betting some good ones don't care enough to unspendable surpluses and lack on pursuing transatlantic success).

It has been commented on CL hard qualifing system. Won't claim on Libertadores being or not hardest, but I can, as a club supporter in a country where a dozen or more teams are often struggling for a spot, assure that getting a place in that cup is not an easy task (maybe this could help on explaining the overall balance between E & SA in Club WCs).

No attempt on changing your opinion, however, as I first mentioned your inclusion of CA brought me thoughts I believe worthy of sharing.

23. Fried

Fried New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Kridjijimbé
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Might be wrong, but can't imagine (based on Brazilian midia as a measure to popularity) a big difference for places outside Europe. As for CL, we can see more in open TV, as far as remember.

24. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    :confused:
    Mind caring to tell what's so wrong about that?:mad:...

25. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    In Rio (second city of the country, 13 mill inhabitants) there is one channel in open TV that transmits (irregularly) the CL (TV Bandeirantes).

And people don't give a damn.

The same for games involving Brazilians in the competition: the Seleção is not in a good moment now with the public and all people care about are their regional disputes.

Today, Palmeiras x Santos (Paulista league semis), tomorrow, São Paulo x Corinthians (idem) & Flamengo x Boptafogo (Rio's finals), Inter x Grêmio in RS, Cruzeiro & Atlético in MG - and that's it.:cool:

Ah! and the Brazil Cup.