World Cup viewing in Indianapolis

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by YanksFC, Apr 6, 2006.

1. oneforthemoney

oneforthemoney BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 6, 2004
    NYC
  2. Bobethy

Bobethy New Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    I took vacation days from work for the Czech and Ghana games. I will definitely be at Brugge for the Czech game. I have yet to be there. Look forward to seeing some of my Indy soccer brethren. I sooooooo have World Cup fever!

Cheers!

3. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  4. tundra_desert

tundra_desert Member

Feb 3, 2006
    RTP, NC - US
    I'm shocked and a bit thrilled to see that there is some genuine excitement concerning the Finals here in Indy. I've been here nearly a year and have struggled to find a suitable venue, let alone a pub with any atmosphere to view a match while enjoying a pint. MacNivens, on Mass Ave, almost always has FSC on their tellys; however, almost never has the volume turned up. BW3's-downtown will tune in upon request and will provide the audio. The Trafford Pub is long gone as I did a drive-by upon arrival last summer and Rob & Jays closed soon after.

Excellent news about Radio Radio and Brugge. I often play darts at the Wellington in Broad Ripple on week-ends and Brugge is close by. I, too, am a downtowner, and I look forward to seeing other supporters around town this summer.

Vive les Bleus!!!

5. oneforthemoney

oneforthemoney BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 6, 2004
    NYC
    No problem - just hope it all works out!!

6. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At Dynamo tryouts tonight one of the guys was just talking about new TV they got. I think I'll have to go for a game or two and check it out, I've heard nothing but good things about the place.

7. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was a bit surprised it took a while before McNiven's was mentioned. Although, I agree that they usually don't have the volume up for the game. There is a place up on 86th & Allisonville called the Beer Imporium, IIRC. I used to live on the north side (a year ago), and would go watch Crew games there sometimes. Not sure what their hours are, but they're very accomodating, good food and drinks.

However, if the Brugge seems to be the big gathering place, I might just DVR the games and drop by for the atmosphere and have fun watching with a crowd.

Rock Bottom typically shows sports in their bar areas (downtown & west 86th). They are open fairly early to accomodate lunch crowds, so that may be an option. I can't remember if either Claddagh location has tv's or not.

I think there is also an English place up on north Keystone, just below Carmel Dr. It's tucked in back by the Carraba's and MCL... anybody know what I'm talking about? I can't recall the name of it off hand.

One other option would be Smokey Bones. I know they usually have ESPN and ESPN2 on and each table has the speaker boxes, and they might even put the audio on in the bar section.

8. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've even gotten smokey bones to change a tv for me to espn2 for an mls game, so I'm sure they would. It's been awhile since I've been to the Claddagh but I don't remember tv's. I could be wrong though I haven't been in awhile.

9. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm pretty sure that the downtown Claddagh does not have a TV. Not sure about the northside Claddagh, though.

10. tundra_desert

tundra_desert Member

Feb 3, 2006
    RTP, NC - US
    The Claddagh in Plainfield has a nice bar and copious flat screens; however, the volume is an issue. The downtown Chammps has several adverts adorning the outdoor seating area for the 06 WC Finals.

11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Truth told, I fully expect Radio Radio to have the best crowds and atmosphere for all this.

12. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I drove past 86th & Allisonville today, and I goofed. It's the Ale Emporium, not the Beer Emporium... so anyway, in case there was any confusion on that one.

13. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    like tundra - i've been here for nearly a year and didn't know of a good gathering place, so this is encouraging. I'm planning to be at the Brugge place in Broad Ripple and hopefully can meet some of the fellow Big Soccer crowd.

Starting to get the tingly arms and hands, dry mouth feeling with the big event approaching.

Or is that a heart attack coming on?

14. Bobethy

Bobethy New Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    I know the feeling... I hope the US team isnt as tense as I am.

Since the games are on ABC, ESPN and the Deuce, I would expect any sports bar (Champs, BW3, etc...) to offer to show WC games. However, I like to reward the soccer friendly places, so I will be going to Brugge. Hope to see you there.

I'm originally from NJ (so I've been a bit spoiled) and have been here about 11 years. Overall, the soccer scene in Indy is not too bad, its just a low-profile bunch. IU & Butler have a great college tradition, Carmel, North Central etc.. I assume a lot of these players stay around Indy. I just never hear from them.

Like me for example, I've got all the soccer channels and MLS package, so I tend to stay home to watch. I'm heartened to hear there are others looking to match a game with a pint. It makes me want to get out to the bars and meet some of you.

15. SullivanSmith

SullivanSmith New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Indianapolis, IN
    The Claddah downtown DOES have a couple of TVs, but they're so inconspicuous (I like using big words I can't spell) they might as well not be there at all. You can probably get someone to turn the channel for you (ask for Rachel duing the day), but you probably won't get much of a soccer crowd there.

If anyone here has made up your mind as to where you're going to watch the games, why not post it here? It's always fun to meet up with other football fans from the internet and *I* know *I'M* not the psycho stalker type.

16. SullivanSmith

SullivanSmith New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Indianapolis, IN
    Is Radio Radio within walking distance from downtown (say, from the Circle Center Mall)? keep in mind "walking distance" for me is a good thirty minutes, as I walk pretty much everywhere.

17. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I would say that it's about a 30 minute walk from Circle Centre. Head south on East Street to Virginia Avenue. Take Virginia Avenue southeast until you run into Fountain Square (you'll see it right in front of you). Hang a left on Prospect Street there and you'll see Radio Radio on your right hand side a block up.

18. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'll be at Brugge for the first USA match. For the other matches after that, it will be Radio Radio for me.

19. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll go out to watch a few games at the Brugge, although I probably won't go until sometime next week. I met Ted tonight at Dynamo, I'm going to be coaching his son so I figure I might as well watch the games there if I'm not watching them at my house.

20. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The latest e-mail update from Ted at Brugge:

In an effort to please the heck out of our loyal customers who don't have to work on the weekend, Brugge is now open Sundays (noon to 10 p.m.)

A staff member was heard saying,

"But then I have to work on the weekends"

to which Shannon replied,

"not if you work somewhere else." Ouch!

INDY WORLD CUP HEADQUARTERS UPDATE

Brugge will open Saturday June 10th at 9AM

England vs. Paraguay

and Monday June 12th at 10AM for

USA vs Czech Republic

GO USA

GO ENGERLAND

and a little bracket update. We expect a huge turnout for the opening match - Germany v Costa Rica. Recognizing this golden opportunity, we will accept the brackets through the entirety of that match but it will not count, of course.

21. theDarKhan

theDarKhan New Member

Jun 9, 2006
  22. Brugge Brasserie

Brugge Brasserie New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    So far, the World Cup has been super fun at Brugge. USA on Monday will be off the hook! I understand Chief USA is coming.

We had a great turnout for England even though they weren't real on top of their game. First game jitters/heat?

I think I too will try to make it down to Radio Radio to see my good friend Tufty. I live for this month!!! See you at Brugge (or radio radio).

Ted

23. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  24. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Another update - I was at MacNiven's on Saturday evening, and they are showing matches. They are not, however, opening early for morning matches, and if I'm not mistaken, the pub is closed on Sundays.

25. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    A big thanks to Ted and the Brugge gang today for a great set up and a great atmosphere. Even though the result sucked, the pub was a great place to watch the game.