World Cup viewing in Indianapolis

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by YanksFC, Apr 6, 2006.

1. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Interesting news -- One of Indy's premier rock club's Radio Radio, just posted the following message on their calendar page:

"The FIFA World Cup 2006 starts on June 9 and ends July 9. Radio Radio will be showing all 64 games. The schedule will be posted after May 1."

For those of you who have never been to Radio Radio, it's a great venue located in Fountain Square.

Stay tuned...

2. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    By the way, if anyone knows of any other soccer friendly bars in Indianapolis, please chime in. Since Rob n' Jay's Chippy went out of business, I haven't been able to locate another place that will regularly show soccer.

3. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I was at Brugge Brasserie on Friday afternoon. According to the pub's brewmaster, Brugge will be showing World Cup matches. The pub also shows Premiership games on FSC. They currently do not show any PPV matches, but are willing to do so if there are enough interested people.

4. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Radio Radio's World Cup viewing schedule is up. Just click on the link entitled "World Cup."

5. SwortSoul

SwortSoul New Member

Apr 5, 2005

Thanks for posting this. I'll be in town for the F1 race. I used to live there and never knew of a place that showed soccer.

Like the Melody Inn picture. How many cars did we have broken into while parking near there? At least 3 I think...

Tim

6. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Bump. I'll be alternating between Brugge Brasserie and Radio Radio. For the opening match against the Czech Republic, it's Brugge (largely because they serve wonderful food and beer and this will be a lunchtime match). For the match against Italy, it's Radio Radio. For the Ghana match, who knows.

Hope to catch up with some other BigSoccer folks. I'll be there with my pal usa1950.

7. ghazi

ghazi Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Chicago
    What about those English pubs on Broadripple and Speedway. SomethingJACKS?

8. Its Swanny

Its Swanny New Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Midwest, USA
    If you want to drive up to Fort Wayne, my shop is showing all of the matches on a big screen television.

9. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    You're thinking of Union Jacks. Those are English pubs in name only. In my experience, neither place is soccer friendly, but I suppose that since it's the World Cup, they might be interested in showing games.

10. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Old Trafford is a pretty nice soccer place in the strip mall across from Ben Davis HS on 10th street :)

11. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Do you mean the Trafford Pub & Eatery? Is it still in business?

12. mrecint

mrecint New Member

May 31, 2006
    Fishers, IN
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Of the places listed on those websites, the Fox & Hound is probably your best bet. I used to go there to watch Liverpool before I was able to get Fox Soccer Channel as part of my digital cable package. There are a zillion televisions in there, and they're always happy to turn on soccer if you ask.

I don't believe that the Trafford is open any longer, but if it is, it's probably no longer soccer friendly since the guy who used to own it (a Manc who's a football nut) sold it to someone else. The last time I was in there, there was nothing but a NASCAR crowd there. Anyway, the guy who owned the Trafford then opened Rob 'n Jay's Chippy (also listed on the FSC website), which was a great place to go for football, but it went out of business last August.

14. mrecint

mrecint New Member

May 31, 2006
    Fishers, IN
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got an e-mail from the manager at Fox and the Hound. She said their Carmel location will be opening at 7AM starting June 9th and continue to host on until the Final. Then they will open occordinly once the game times are determined for the later rounds!!
    I'm glad they've stayed true to their English pub status!!

Here is the phone if you have questions 317-844-0075

15. cleat/less

cleat/less New Member

May 7, 2004
    hoosier-land
    great news. thanks for posting this. as a northsider I'd much rather head to the fox and the hound over broad ripple or fountain square.

16. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Good news for y'all on the north side. Carmel's a bit far for me (I live downtown), so I'll stick with Broad Ripple and Fountain Square.

17. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    E-mail from Ted Miller, brewmaster at Brugge Brasserie:

Kick it @ Brugge - World Cup 2006
    June 9 - July 9

Join us as we follow the greatest sporting event in the world.

ON 100" OF HDTV WITH INDY'S GREATEST SOCCER FANS!!!

Recognizing our Hoosier roots, brackets are in order. Come on in before Thursday, June 8 to fill out yours.

Brugge Brasserie
    ted.miller@bruggebrasserie.com
    http://www.bruggebrasserie.com

18. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Just to clarify Ted's e-mail - Brugge's normal opening time is 11:00 a.m. Ted said that Brugge won't open early for any of the games being aired in the morning hours except for the USA/Ghana match, for which they'll open early (at 10:00 a.m.). One other thing to be noted is that Brugge is not open on Sundays.

19. SullivanSmith

SullivanSmith New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Indianapolis, IN
    As a soccer fan living in the city without a car, it's hard to find a place nearby that's showing the cup. More than likely The Living Room on Pennsylvania St. will be showing it, unless something more American-Sports-Bar-ish is on at the same time. What about Champions downtown? Probably not the most futbol-fan friendly venue, but they do show a crap-load of sports there.

20. SullivanSmith

SullivanSmith New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Indianapolis, IN
    BW3s (er, Buffalo Wild Wings) is pretty sports friendly and I've seen Soccer matches shown there before, so that's probably another good bet.

21. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I would imagine that Champions, Champps, Jillians, and BW3 would all be viable options downtown. You might also try MacNiven's on Mass Ave. It's owned by a Scottish guy. I don't think that any of these places will open specially for the morning matches, but who knows?

22. SullivanSmith

SullivanSmith New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yeah, I've caught a match or two at McNiven's. Still, it's a shame Rob 'N' Jay's had to close down. Any idea what Robin and Jason are up to these days? The email they left for their patrons doesn't seem to work any more.

23. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard that the owner or the Brugge is owned by a Dynamo FC coach. I haven't been there yet but I'm going to check it out during the World Cup. I've heard it's a pretty good place.

24. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I know that they're out of the restaurant business, at least for right now. A friend of mine ran into Jason, and Jason told him what he was up to. I just can't remember what Jason told him. I want to say that he's selling construction equipment or something like that.

25. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yep, Ted is a Dynamo FC coach.

And yes, Brugge is a great place. The bar area is a bit small, but my impression is that they'll have the big television set up out in the patio area, which has plenty of space. Their Belgian ales on tap, which are brewed on site, are stellar. My favorite is the black ale. The pommes frites are also outstanding.