World Cup Viewing Events?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by riles9999, Dec 14, 2005.

1. riles9999

riles9999 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Somerset, NJ
    I know that there are a lot of folks jumpin' across the pond next summer,
    but for us poor bastards stayin' stateside, are there any plans for a mass
    gathering to watch the Nats in action?

2. cmquaker

cmquaker New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Philadelphia
    It would be great if we could coordinate a large public viewing, in a place like Central Park, especially for the Italy game that is going to be on a Saturday afternoon.

An event like this would make for superb photo-ops and would make the marginal fan more likely to watch the match and be excited about the Nats.

3. JayDelight729

JayDelight729 Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Section 101
    There is always Hale's.... or Nevada Smith's. But a bigger venue wpu;d be nice.

4. riles9999

riles9999 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Somerset, NJ
    I was thinking Hale's or Nevada Smith as well, but Central Park would be a dream! The logistics of pulling that off are definitely more involved than spreading an email to meet at the pub to catch the match.

I'm gonna check to see if USSF has an email contact to ask about any 'sanctioned' viewing locations. I'm tired of watching games in my living
    room or in a pub with 10 other guys. I think Columbus Crew hosted some viewing parties of the 2002 cup, and it looked like an awesome place to be when whipped up on Meheeko.

Riles

5. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Ideally bars in the city are the way to go, but keep in mind that MLS schedule being what it is, there will likely be Metro home games on some of those dates. Like a 2pm US game and a 7pm Metro game. If they were smart they'd do a mass budweiser tailgate in the lot and have the Metro game at 4:30, but anyway.

We can work with the team to get some mass viewing action going on certain days, as we know Alexi would be down. It would be massive of them to set up a viewing in Harrison at the courts, putting a projector screen up on one side and just having the whole town chill on the grass and watch.

6. cmquaker

cmquaker New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Would the Metrostars set up viewing events unrelated to their games? Not many fans would be willing to go to Harrison or the Meadowlands to view unless they live close, so it is important to have a public viewing in Manhattan.

I see the point of a public viewing to attract people to watch the match that might not otherwise. It would be a partiotic event, and it would make fans understand the national pride that comes with the WC.

The Metrostars would have a financial incentive to fund large public viewings because they could use it to advertise the Metrostars. I think the Great Lawn or Sheep's Meadow in Central Park would be the best places to hold the viewing.

7. pasoccerdave

pasoccerdave Member

Mar 30, 2004
    SE Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait to see the MLS schedule . . .

Columbus had huge viewing parties in 2002, right?

8. riles9999

riles9999 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Somerset, NJ
    Yeah, I remember seeing video footage of fans at Crew stadium goin' nuts.
    We should be able to do something similar in Metro area. I also sent an email to USSF asking if there were any plans for 'sanctioned' gatherings. I know soccer is a third class citizen here in the U.S., and it gets to me when I see footage of other countries gathering in the hundreds/thousands at some outdoor location to watch their nation play on a big jumbotron, and I've gotta compete at the local TGI Fridays with some yahoo asking questions like "Now, how come you can't use your hands in that game?"
    Gun please...

9. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fans will go nuts only if the team wins. If they lose there could be trouble, and besides that, people will diss on soccer even more. The way the groupings went, the US has about a 35% chance to advance, and if they play Brazil in the round of 16, about a 2% chance to get past them. And then of course the NY media will be covering the Subway Series and not giving two hoots about the WC.

10. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, Grand Central Terminal has had a big screen in the great hall for the last 2 world cups

11. riles9999

riles9999 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Somerset, NJ
    Didn't know about Grand Central... that would be nice! Have they got
    Guiness on tap there??? Just wishin'...

12. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe at the Michael Jordan's steakhouse on the balcony. Im sure at the very least you can get an assorted variety of 12 yr old scotches.

13. riles9999

riles9999 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Somerset, NJ

When will it ever be 'safe' to promote U.S. Soccer on a large scale to the general population?! If not now, then when? No teams are assured of winning/advancing, with the possible exceptions of Brazil and Germany based on their respective draws. France, Argentina, and Portugal all went home after the first round in '02, and you can bet they all had grand designs hoisting that beautifully ugly trophy. It will never be 'safe' because nothing is a definite lock. What if we beat Italy on that Saturday afternoon? Wouldn't it be great to have this huge event to make it all the sweeter for us suckers back home? And if we lose? The media will just keep saying what they've been saying for the last... well, forever. Where's the harm? U.S. soccer will get a big "I told ya so" from the pinheads in the media, and everyone goes back to the drawing board to try again in four years... just like the other 31 teams that stood at the edge of greatness, but faltered at some point 'cause they couldn't keep it together. Let's just get together and celebrate the sport, our nation, and what will hopefully be a glorious Saturday afternoon in June...