World Cup Travel- Salvador

Discussion in 'WC 2014 Travel and Tickets' started by byucougars, Nov 19, 2013.

1. albutt27

albutt27 Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you need to make restaurant reservations in advance? I know it depends where you go, but is it more common or really unnecessary? What time do locals usually eat?

Thanks!

2. albutt27

albutt27 Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's actually on my list! Here are my notes; churrascharia - quality of meat, buffet and service was excellent from TA.

3. jfk21

jfk21 New Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    hi

i needed a favour from anyone kind enough to help me ..
    i can see there are atleast 3 branches of Confidence Cambio (forex) in Salvador, 1 of which is at the airport ..
    i am coming in to salvador from miami next week ..
    could someone local please call them for me -- i tried but my lack of portuguese failed me & i havent received a reply to my email ..
    my question is simple .. i read somewhere that they have come out with a product whereby i can exchange my USD currency for a prepaid visa debit card in reais ..
    i am looking for exactly that and since i cannot find anything of the sort on their website (in portuguese) i am requesting you to help me figure this important thing for me ..
    would truly appreciate the help ..
    the airport confidence cambio no is +55 71 3354-0699
    customer service no is +558004000800
    regards
    jfk

4. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    I did this a couple times for league games. I was OK but it was not a good idea. That said, surely they will have sufficient security along this very short walk for the World Cup.

5. Aquarela

Aquarela Member

May 21, 2014
    Lauro de Freitas, BA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still not sure why you want to go to Iguatemi, are you staying near there? The shuttles will run on game days, not every day, but there are buses that leave from the airport that go as far as Praca da Se and various other places in the city. I have shamelessly copied the following that I found by Googling, you will need to copy and paste to translate to English:

O ônibus que opera esta linha é o S 002 Aeroporto X Praça da Sé.

Este ônibus passa pela Praia de Itapuã, Praia de Piatã, Praia dos Artistas, Praia Jardim Alah, Praia da Pituba, Amaralina, Rio Vermelho, até chegar ao Centro.

O ônibus é urbano e tem uma pintura diferente na cor vermelha.

Este ônibus circula diariamente de 04:40 às 22:40.

O tempo de viagem total estimado do trajeto é de 1 hora e 30 minutos em média, podendo ser ainda maior se tiver trânsito.

O preço da passagem de ida é R$ 3,00.

Para pegá-lo no aeroporto, logo após sair do terminal de desembarque, dirija-se ao ponto dele, que fica ao lado de uma barraca de acarajé e em frente ao ponto de entrega de carros alugados da Hertz. O ponto tem uma placa indicativa.

Se você estiver portando apenas mochila, dá para pegar o ônibus sem problema.

Se estiver com mala, a dificuldade é bem maior, já que o ônibus não tem bagageiro e ao longo do trajeto, o ônibus enche e fica muito difícil embarcar ou desembarcar, ainda mais com mala de viagem.

O embarque acontece pela porta traseira e o desembarque pela porta dianteira apenas, já que a porta do meio só é utilizada no terminal de ônibus.

PS - I think the price has gone up, but not by much. If you have the time, you will get the scenic route along the beach.

6. zzvelik

zzvelik Member

Jul 26, 2007
    Southern California
    Yes, I am staying there. I will check the translation later as I have to run to the airport. Thanks

7. Aquarela

Aquarela Member

May 21, 2014
    Lauro de Freitas, BA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The site for Confidence explains the Visa pre-paid cards are for Brazilians who are traveling out of the country. You can get Visa pre-paid cards in any number of places in the US (I assume that's where you are). The site for Visa prepaid cards states: Use your card anywhere Visa debit cards are accepted. I am guessing that could include ATMs in Brazil. More info here, and sorry I can't give you a more specific response. http://usa.visa.com/locators/prepaid-card-instore.jsp

8. Aquarela

Aquarela Member

May 21, 2014
    Lauro de Freitas, BA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, ask at the Information counter where to catch a bus to Iguatemi then.

9. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    He's talking about a supposed new product they have tho, one I have heard about but haven't seen anywhere.
    If I go to the mall anytime soon I'll go there and ask.

10. NYWang

NYWang Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Have two Match 13 Germany vs Portugal Cat 3, Sec. 416
    Please PM me if you need them
    Thanks

11. byucougars

byucougars Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Provo, Utah
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Hi all. So if you haven't joined the whatsapp group, send a message to @Victorius Secret . There will be lots of information shared on that group message.

Also, I remembered a great Brazilian Steakhouse that won't break the bank. It is cheaper than Fogo de Chao and Boi Preto, and very very good. It is called "Sal e Brasa". It's overlooks the beach and ocean. Here is the information:

+55 (71) 3461.1999
    Rua Carimbamba, 917 - Pituaçu

os_mutante repped this.
  12. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    have there been any WhatsApp test messages sent out yet? I signed up awhile ago but haven't received anything yet.

13. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    There are several cheap, just-OK steakhouses. This one is not as cheap, but yeah, cheap enough and very, very good.

14. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    We're using it all the time, there's something wrong with yours.

15. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @byucougars or @lucasc, can you recommend any steakhouses in Barra?

16. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #791 PabloSanDiego, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
    I just figured it out...I feel stupid. My profile was set up for my Thai phone number, once I switched it to my US phone I got all the messages. Once I get to Brazil and get my SIM/number, I should be able to switch WhatsApp to my Brazil number and it'll transfer everything including the chats to that number. It's really a nice feature how it does that.

17. prico

prico Member

Mar 25, 2014
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Looking for 2 tickets to Holland - Spain for 2 Brazilian friends. Any category will do.
    If seats are together that would be perfect, but if not, no problem.

They are willing to pay a little more than face value if necessary.

Also if you have just one ticket available, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

18. Dan17

Dan17 Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Hey @lucasc, if you're in Salvador right now, what;'s the vibe like right now? Or anyone who is there now that can add some information about the scene, atmosphere etc. I was reading the Rio thread and there have been reports of muggings already so I was also curious about that

19. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    @Dan17
    I'm not in Salvador, sorry. A bunch of people from the WhatsApp groups is there already, for example @sargopt, you can ask them.
    But my I say upfront, Rio is by far the most dangerous of all host cities. Even if Salvador has some small crime fame, it's nothing like there. I haven't heard any bad report about it so far, and it doesn't look like anything different than usual is going on, like it is in Rio.

Dan17 repped this.
  20. Dan17

Dan17 Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Ok thanks, I appreciate it. I just DM'd VictoriusSecret to get on the group, once I am, I'm sure my annoying questions will stop lol. That's sort of what I figured...I am anxiously counting the days till I leave. Salvador looks like such a cool city

21. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Nah, I understand... we treat it like it's not big deal because we have to live with it, and so what can you do? But it's completely reasonable to be worried, and I'd be too. Hell, every time I go to Rio I enter my big-city-worried-mode (which I developed as a teenager in Salvador but lost in the far-safer city I live now), even tho I've been there quite a few times and know the dos and donts. What I realize is that the few times something happened to me in Salvador, it was avoidable. Like because I paid attention to a stranger who stopped me at a street (big no), for example.

Believe me, if you're worried, we're even as worried, plus ashamed. I think I'd feel downright depressed and guilty if something serious happened to anyone here. I just hope everyone can have a good time.

os_mutante repped this.
  22. Dan17

Dan17 Member

Nov 19, 2013

Thank you - that was really good insight. And I'm not as worried as initially was, I think it will be a great time. I am really looking forward to the friendliness and welcoming of the people of Salvador. Meeting people from different cultures seeing the Brazilian way of life is something I am looking forward to. And also should state I live near NYC and am there quite a bit and I also hear the stereotypes, and of course it's never as bad as people make it seem to be. I'm sure Salvador is the same way

23. PDXsoccer

PDXsoccer New Member

May 3, 2014
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    We watched the Anthony Bourdain CNN story about Salvador last night and got even more excited--and hungry. Also, is there a secret to Whatsapp? My husband isn't getting any messages, though my son will probably be able to figure it out. We leave tomorrow for Brazil.

24. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    I think you haven't been added yet. Only one person can do it, @Victorius Secret, and she hasn't seen it yet I think.

25. Victorius Secret

Oct 30, 2013
    Liverpool, England
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Have added you, been on a plane all day so hadn't seen the request