World Cup Travel - Rio de Janeiro

Discussion in 'WC 2014 Travel and Tickets' started by PabloSanDiego, Jan 22, 2014.

1. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought a Rio de Janeiro thread would be one of the first started but I didn't see one so I thought I'd start one, as many of us will be passing through at one point during the World Cup.

So far I've successfully booked accommodations in all my stops except Rio. After doing some research I've decided I want to stay in the Copacabana/Ipanema area. As these are two major tourist beach areas, there are tons of hotels, apartments, etc. But right now there is little to choose from and I've been looking at the official FIFA site daily, also booking.com, tripadvisor and other hotel sites. Airbnb has a bunch of places listed but mostly are extra rooms in someone's apartment, which is a fallback for me. Still a long way to go and I keep hearing that the unused blocked rooms will get released at some point.

For information, the official FIFA Fan Fest will be on Copacabana Beach. Maracanã Stadium is located toward the east of Rio, about 5 km from downtown Rio and about 12 km north of Copacabana and Ipanema beaches. Maracanã Metro station is a stop on Line 2, so it seems like Metro is the best way to get from the beach to the stadium on game day.

Anyway, I wanted to set this up as a place to share information and also plan some activities as June gets closer. Hopefully some locals or people who have been there before can share some useful info too. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you over a cold beer in Rio!

2. Stefan79

Stefan79 Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'll be there as well for three days. Staying in Botafogo area. I know the Dutch squad will stay in Rio as well on the Ipenama beach. Would love to see them at one of their training sessions at Flamengo stadium nearby.

3. fitzy1717

fitzy1717 Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Toronto
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    England are also in Rio...Hoping to get in a training look...hopefully the open some of these up to the public

4. Gratefulphish41

Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thanks for starting this. Headed down there after the last USA group game and hoping to check out the R16 match as well. Staying in Ipanema.

Christ the Redeemer is on the list, what else should be?

5. Toosucio4u

Toosucio4u Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Rio will be the place to be. I'm spending most of my first round stay there. As far as accommodations the prices range from $5,000 to $15,000 for a studio in Copacabana, Ipanema, Leblon. Check out VRBO.com and homeaway.com I found those sites very helpful. I am lucky to be staying with a friend in Botafogo so I will save myself some money. If anyone wants to meet up for a beer at the fan fest add me on twitter or Facebook. If anyone has extra tix for the round of 16 game in Rio let me know I'll buy off the tix. So far I have tix for the France vs Ecuador game but I wouldn't mind going to more games at the Maracana.

6. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    My two sons and I will be in Rio from 6/21 - 6/27 with tickets to France-Ecudor and Belgium-Russia.

Still don't have flights booked, but hotel/travel inside Rio is all done.

7. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are the exact dates I will be in Rio, although I am probably taking a side trip up to Recife to watch USA/Germany. I don't have tickets to either France-Ecuador or Belgium-Russia, but I'll see what I can come up with after I arrive. I'm hoping it won't be too hard to score a single. I am still having a really hard time finding accommodation in Rio (Copacabana and Ipanema). I sent out a dozen inquiries yesterday and received one response today. I know there is still a lot of time, but it was so easy in the other cities where I am already booked.

8. kgriff28

kgriff28 Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My dad and I are traveling to Rio from June 17th - June 20th. We are booked at Casa Cool Beans near Ipanema Beach and are planning to attend the Spain v. Chile game although we still don't have tickets to the match yet.

9. fitzy1717

fitzy1717 Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Toronto
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Will be in RIO June 15-21. Will be staying in the barra tijuca area...$1600 for 2 bedroom Condo. 30 mins from Copa but I'll save a ton !

Hoping to get two 2 matches while we are there

10. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I finally booked my accommodations in Rio. I easily spent 3x as much time on this one as I did for SP, Natal, and Salvador combined. I got a lot of help from locals and booked a private, studio apartment near the intersection of Rua Julio de Castilhos and Rua Raul Pompeia in that area that's sort of between Copacabana and Ipanema. I'm there June 21-27 and looking forward to 2 games at the Maracanã (hopefully) and the big parties in Copacabana and Ipanema.

11. Miggy

Miggy Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    Reading FC
    I'm staying in Rio from 27th June - 14th July. We managed to find a nice looking 2 bedroom condo in Barra Tijuca for around £140 a night. Don't ask how we got it so cheap because I don't know but I'm not complaining.
    We're still yet to get tickets but we're hoping for tickets to any KO games at Rio, SP and BH.

Any further information on what exactly this FIFA Fan Fest is please?

12. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming you googled it and read what is on the official FIFA site, Wikipedia, etc. But even if you did read what's out there the info is a bit limited. I read what I could find and I don't have a complete understanding of it either. There's a few articles on the official site, this one I think is the latest:

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1614471/

Also if you google "FIFA Fan Fest" hit "Images". There are lots of photos from past Fan Fests that give an idea of the atmosphere and the massive crowds. I wasn't at any of them, so maybe somebody who was can give more insight on what they were like.

It looks like it's a controlled access event, with a huge screen for everyone to watch. I assume you can buy alcohol and food inside (overpriced I'm sure), and probably souvenirs and stuff like that. I don't know if they charge admission.

Since I'm right by the Rio one, I imagine I'll check it out for at least some of the games. My guess is that it'll be super crowded, and as its an official FIFA event, everything will be overpriced. If it's an ordeal getting in with long lines, hard to get a beer, ridiculous prices, not enough toilets, over crowding, etc., I'll probably spend my time in the bars. But if it's well run and the prices aren't ridiculous, it looks like a super fun atmosphere. FIFA has been doing them for the past few WCs, so I'm hoping they do a good job organizing them.

I'll be in 4 cities and I plan to watch at least one game at each Fan Fest venue, more if they're well run and fun.

Garguy repped this.
  13. Miggy

Miggy Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    Reading FC
    That's great, thanks. You're right - I had googled it but just couldn't find that much about it.

I'm certain I'll go if the atmosphere is good and I can't imagine that'll be too much of a problem in Rio!

14. Garguy

Garguy New Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Fan Fests are awesome for watching games. There is no charge to enter and pat downs at the entrance with a lot of security, so it's fun and relatively safe. The Fan Fest on Copacabana Beach in Rio on 6/12 for the opening match v Croatia will be very cool; the place to be in Rio for the opening match.

It's a place where soccer heads gather and yes, the beer's expensive and food mediocre at best, but you meet people from all over the world. If you choose to carry on the party with your new mates after the game, roll into town and continue the good times.

Huge screens, sometimes facing opposite directions to allow for 2x the amount of people watching, with pre-game "entertainment" on stage, music and electric in the air.

That's a Fan Fest. Very, very cool.

UrNumbrOneCrush repped this.
  15. UrNumbrOneCrush

Manchester United and FC Barcelona
    United States
    Apr 18, 2006
    Austin, TX USA!
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Miggy

Miggy Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Sounds amazing! Hopefully will make up missing out on tickets! We're going to Rio for the party as well as the football!

17. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    I'll be in Rio for a week with my sons, we have tickets to the 2 games that are there, but fan fest sounds like a great way to watch other games!

18. Glamourboy10

Glamourboy10 Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Dallas,TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    FIFA, please take your money and give me my tickets!!

19. brazuca21

brazuca21 Member

Oct 27, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  20. Miggy

Miggy Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    Reading FC
    I'm staying in Barra da Tijuca. Does anyone know how easy it is to travel from there to Copacabana beach?

21. Toosucio4u

Toosucio4u Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    According to the distance I would say no more than 20 minutes by taxi

22. HugoNY

HugoNY Member

Feb 15, 2014
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm staying in Rua Belford Roxo 6/9-6/12 does anyone know if that's far from the fan fest.

23. Miggy

Miggy Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Hi, it looks as though it's about 80 miles away

24. fitzy1717

fitzy1717 Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Toronto
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm staying in Barra da Tijuca also

25. Mnorris

Mnorris Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Rio de Janeiro, RJ
    Hugo, if the fanfest stays in Copa and if it is the same place it was in 2010, you are very close to it.