News: World Cup Thread S Africa 2010 (R)

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by Cris 09, May 30, 2010.

1. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just thought we could have our own thread here to talk about some of the matches this summer.

I am watching the Ivory Coast-Paraguay friendly right now and wondering were the hell they are playing??? It looks like some rich guys back yard.

Anyway, I heard the announcers talk about Barrios and how he was accepted into the Paraguayan NT with ease. He also mentioned how Nelson Valdez had such a great season with BvB :rolleyes: and how he is so versatile a player, that Klopp uses him not only as a striker, but as a winger and AM...because he is so good!!!

Edit: Barrios comes in on the 65th minute or so while Paraguay was 1 goal down. Ivory Coast scored their second minutes later and Barrios replied with his 2nd goal in 2 games for Paraguay's NT.

Nelson Valdez is watching from the stands.

2. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wow...this thread delivers.

3. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wish you would have sent this to the list.

According to the press, they played somewhere in France called "Thonon Les-Bains."

So I'm guessing he didn't mention that Valdez is so good, BVB is looking to dump him?

Or was it that we really don't want to get rid of him, but the club needs the money? LOL!

And some other guy not named Nelson Haedo Valdez or Roque Santa Cruz got the equalizer for Paraguay.

If Paraguay was truly any good, he'd be watching on TV for the next month.

4. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Haedo actually came through for Paraguay on a number of occasions.

Would be pretty messed up to leave him home if he's the one that pretty much sealed qualification for Paraguay.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PBKInJ67Uk&feature=related"]YouTube- Paraguay 1 vs. Argentina 0 Eliminatorias Sudáfrica 2010 [4/4] Jorge Vera[/ame]

I think he performs better for Paraguay then he does for BVB, he's not a scoring machine but is a hard worker, I always tought he would make a better midfielder then a forward in my opinion.

5. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We know. This is what makes it frustrating that he almost never comes through for BVB.

Not if you have someone better. Last time I checked, sports are competition.

We know this too. But he's also not very match-smart. Sure, he works his ass off, but he's almost never where he's supposed to be when he's supposed to be there.

In other words, he works hard, but he isn't very PRODUCTIVE.

This is what I've said from the first moment I saw him.

6. Bundesligafan

Bundesligafan Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Barrios is on a scoring rampage.3 goals in 3 match. can he pls assist valdez instead. we really need interest in valdez instead of barrios

7. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    lol, well put :D

8. Dan-ny-m398

Dan-ny-m398 Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Long Island NY
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay

The funny thing is that, Haedo is the one that found out that Barrio's mother is Paraguayan and all 4 of his grandparents, He basically was responsible for luring Barrios to get Paraguayan Citizenship and it looks like Barrios is going to take Haedo-Valedez starting spot in the NT.

9. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Santa Cruz and Barrios has been proven to work well but no our coach refuses to ever bench Valdez so he manages to fvk up the lineup and throw him in the mix with Roque playing behind Lucas and Haedo. :rolleyes:

10. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I feel your pain man. Some of us Dortmund fans would get angry that Klopp would seemingly refuse to bench Valdez.

But most of us BVB fans will hope that Valdez becomes the scorer for you guys during this tournament so we can sell him and keep Lucas!! :D

Thank you again for posting such great information!!!

11. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yeah our coach will NEVER bench him which is why I was hoping he would still be injured for the Italy game when he was injured Santa Cruz and Barrios where playing together and playing well.

Now that Haedo recovered he now decides to bench Santa Cruz and play Haedo instead eventho RSC is obviously the better scorer.

I'm telling you, we could have Messi playing for us and the coach would still play Valdez over him, so frustrating.

12. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, to be honest, one of the reasons he plays so much in Dortmund is that we only have two guys who are better.

One, of course, is Lucas Barrios. The other is Mohamed Zidan and he had to play central midfield for most of this past season.

Now that we've got this Japanese kid Kagawa coming in to challenge in central midfield, I think they want to move Zidan back to striker and sell Valdez.

This is why I hope Valdez scores a few for Paraguay this World Cup.

But then again, BVB management might be silly enough to think that will translate into Bundesliga goals and keep him around........

13. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

All four of his grandparents?

Wouldn't that mean his father is Paraguayan too?

I ask because every time it is mentioned specifically, his Paraguayan citizenship is attributed to his "mother", not his "parents."

Lucas himself mentions it in the article below.

Lucas Barrios Is Ready For Paraguay Baptism Of Fire Against Italy

14. orng

orng Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vamos Paraguay! Hoping for a Barrios hattrick.

15. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Lucas' dad was born in Argentina but is also of Paraguayan descent.

16. Dan-ny-m398

Dan-ny-m398 Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Long Island NY
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    If his Father asks for Paraguayan Citizenship he'll get it but he has to ask for it first, it is not automatically given to him, and for what I read all 4 grandparents of Lucas Barrios are Paraguayan plus his mom.

17. Dan-ny-m398

Dan-ny-m398 Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Long Island NY
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay

I don't think is like that, you have to take into account that Haedo that plays for Paraguay is not Valdez that plays for Borussia, he might miss many chances but he has come through for us, also they have been practicing together for 1 month and maybe Martino sees something that we have not, unlike in 06 when our coach did not have the balls to sit an injured Santacruz that has choked in the last 2 world cups this coach has the balls to sit Santacruz and go with the team he best see fit for this game.

18. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I was wondering about that.

19. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for clearing that up.

20. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA President Backs Vuvuzela Tradition

[​IMG]

Visitors from around the world, including this fan
    of the Netherlands, have adopted the South African
    practice of blowing the vuvuzela during games.

JOHANNESBURG -- FIFA has a message for all those vuvuzela haters: Buzz off.

Despite criticism from World Cup TV viewers around the globe that the swarm-of-bees sound from the plastic horns is stinging their ears, the organization left no doubt Monday that the uniquely African soundtrack is here to stay.

"I have always said that Africa has a different rhythm, a different sound," Sepp Blatter, president of soccer's governing body, said in a Twitter post. "I don't see banning the music traditions of fans in their own country."

Click here for the rest of the story at ESPN Soccernet.

21. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is where I believe Franz is talking out his ass........

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Beckenbauer Hammers England's Style

[​IMG]

Franz Beckenbauer won the World Cup with
    West Germany as a player and as a manager

Franz Beckenbauer has launched an attack on England's style of play at the World Cup, claiming they use "kick and rush" football.

In a column for South African newspaper the Times, Beckenbauer said: "What I saw of the English against the USA had very little to do with football. It looked to me as if the English have gone backwards into the bad old days of kick and rush.

"I am not sure if the England coach Fabio Capello can still change much there. The English are being punished for the fact that there are very few English players in the Premier League as clubs use better foreign players from all over the world.''

Click here for the full story at ESPN Soccernet.

My comments: I agree that the English seemed to revert back to the "old" kick and rush against the USA, but Franz doesn't recognize that the USA forced them to do that.

However, that isn't where I think Franz is "talking out his ass."

I think Franz is "talking out his ass" is with his f#cking tired old "too many foreigners" argument.

Franz used to blame "too many foreigners in the Bundesliga" for everything that was wrong in German football until Jürgen Klinsmann came along and he and his boys shut Franz the f#ck up in 2006.

Germany's problem wasn't too many foreigners in the Bundesliga.

It the the DFB's tired old methods and its reluctance to rely on younger and DIFFERENT players.

Klinsmann changed that.

I believe England's problem is in fact Premiership football, but not in that it has "too many foreigners."

I believe England's problem is that they play a different game than everyone else. Their game is based more on physicality, pace and attack.

However, it can't stand up to the tactical game the rest of the world plays.

I believe this is why England has recently done better with foreign coaches.

I don't believe there is an English coach out there who can coach the tactial game at the level the national team needs to succeed.

This is also why I believe the better teams in the Premiership all play a more tactical style of football, hence their recent overall success in Europe.

That is with Fulham being the exception rather than the rule. They do play a more "English-styled" game.

I believe England's problem is that when you remove the English players from that environment and put them all on a team together, they tend to revert back to the game they learned as boys.

Especially when they get nervous and pressured. When that happens, it doesn't matter who the coach is, he can't stop them from going back to what they know.

We saw it in the 2002 World Cup when they shit their pants against Brazil in the quarters, despite outplaying them for much of the game.

We saw it during the qualifying for Euro 2008 when Croatia rendered them clueless and knocked them out at Wembley and we saw it the other night against the USA.

Foreigners in the Premiership is not England's problem as Franz would have you believe. That's his stupid f#cking excuse for everything.

I believe another large part of England's problem is that they have a hard time keeping their composure. And again, when they lose their composure, they revert back to what they know.

And it gets them killed. It is also why they can't ever seem to win penalty shootouts.

If the English ever learn to remain calm and stick to their game under pressure, they'll finally win some trophies.

No matter how many foreigners star in the Premiership. :rolleyes:

22. Bundesligafan

Bundesligafan Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    i kinda disagree. while i do not agree that the english premiership foreigner problem is the cause of its england team problem now but i believe it will be in the future. The premiership teams' preferracne to buy foreigner stars rather than to groom own stars will cause talented youngster chance to be exposed in top level football hindering their growth. This will cause the england talents to be wasted.

Bundesliga team's lack of money has forced them to used german youngsters and look at the fruits it bore them. U21,U19 and U17 championships and a batch of talented youngsters

23. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

People act as if every Premiership roster is full of foreign stars.

They are not.

People act like Bundesliga clubs have nothing but young German stars coming up. They do not.

English players get plenty of chances in the Premiership. About the only places where English players have a hard time in the Premiership are the top six to eight clubs.

England's problem starts at the grass-roots level. Well before these guys ever sniff the Premiership.

It isn't just that many of Germany's U-21 guys get shots at the Bundesliga level, it is that they are taught how to play the game tactically and they develop great tactical awareness from their early years in the game.

The English players don't get that. They only learn a good tactical game later in their careers if they go to the right club with a good foreign coach.

I know that is a huge stereotype, but I also know people in England who are starting to get it.

People also forget that the "downturn" German football had from 1998-2001 wasn't caused by young players not getting chances in the Bundesliga because of money spent on foreigners.

It was because the DFB/German National Set-Up skipped almost an entire "football generation" of leading players (Effenberg and Basler come to mind, among others) because they decided to rely on the core of the successful 1990-1996 teams for far too long.

Blaming the number of foreigners in any league for the failures of the national team is just a tired and lazy excuse.

If the English players were taught how to play a tactical game and to be tactially aware at a young age instead of being taught that pace and toughness (being a "hard man") are what is valued, then yeah, England would have some success.

Belgian players play all over the Belgian League. Their best players play in the best leagues in the world.

Yet, this once great footballing country has fallen behind and they stink on the world stage now.

Is it because of foreigners in their league?? I think not. I think it is because they didn't keep up with the advances in the game.

Same with English. They have "talent", they just don't have the tactical awareness and composure it takes to win titles.

And learning that begins at youth level. As I said before, when the English learn to do that, they'll start winning titles.

Again, I believe blaming the number of foreigners in their league is just plain lazy. It's an easy thing to point at, but rather silly if you look deeper at it.

Especially when you see that in the years Germany got better again, the numbers of foreigners in the Bundesliga actually ROSE sharply.

And by the way, as you might have seen with Adam Johnson at Manchester City, Aaron Lennon at Tottenham and Theo Walcott at Arsenal, if an English player is actually GOOD ENOUGH, he'll play for his club no matter how many foreigners are on the roster.

24. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MetroChile, if you are out there, GOOD LUCK TODAY!!!

25. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'll need to rep him when he shows up!! :)

BTW...
    The Swiss are up by one vs European Champs Espana!!!!!!!!!! :eek: