World Cup Television Coverage

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by tyguy, Jun 12, 2014.

1. tyguy

tyguy Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Cheeseland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the mods are ok with it, this thread will be to discuss the good, bad, and ugly about World Cup television coverage.

Right off the bat..... golf highlights preempting the world cup preview? Very ugly

2. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Darke and Macca!!!

stonejh127 repped this.
  3. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't understand a word Gilberto Silva says.

keller4president and stonejh127 repped this.
  4. CA to VA

CA to VA Member

Jun 24, 2009
    So Cal
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Univision's live stream looked great on my computer at work.

5. Converted54

Converted54 Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The commercials that were on with the Brazilian super models were awesome lol.

6. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me neither. And Ballack's English is actually pretty poor for a German guy (maybe because he's from east Germany, where they learned Russian as their second language)

7. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    stonejh127 and aquablue repped this.
  8. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I was stuck listening to the classic combination of JP Dellacamera and Tommy Smyth. They did well, but I'm not really a fan of soccer on the radio.

9. aquablue

aquablue Member

Jun 30, 2009
    What is with Darke's commentary? Just call the game. Stop talking about other stuff all the time, it's ruining the intensity of the matches.We don't need all the player factoids, etc.

JP is the best American commentator. Bring him back, Darke is overrated.

I wanna hear all the plays, I wanna know exactly who has the ball at ALL TIMES. IS THAT TOO MUCH TO FRIGGIN ASK?

10. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I streamed it on my iPhone at work using the Univision Deportes app and it looked amazing. Sometimes I thought I was watching a bluray and not a sporting event.

11. dundee9

dundee9 Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Just stating who has the ball every time is not good commentating. Listen to Martin Tyler. He doesn't just robotically recite who has the ball every single time.

12. aquablue

aquablue Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Darke waffles too much about other things when there is no attacks going on , and it gets boring as heck. Too many facts thrown in. Just focus on the match, the action is more exciting than where 'so and so' got transferred to last year.

I'd rather he just focus on the ball, and not try to educate people about extraneous facts.

13. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked that Julie Foudy was 200 miles away. I hope they continue to keep her that far away. Hopefully without a microphone or a camera

tehlazerviking, Statman and ImaPuppy repped this.
  14. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really can't complain with ESPNs coverage. Non stop WC coverage between the 2 networks from 11-8 tomorrow. Then SportsCenter (which will probably cover quite a bit of the cup), then a 90 minute wrap up show followed by a relay of the games best day. It's fantastic

aquablue and stonejh127 repped this.
  15. stonejh127

stonejh127 Member+

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #15 stonejh127, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    I don't really have many complaints except I can't understand what Gilberto is saying half the time and Taylor Twellman's studio analysis is worse than Lalas's ever was. Sometimes I hear him say things that make me cringe like nails across a chalkboard. Oh, and I REALLY love listening to Roberto Martinez!

aquablue repped this.
  16. aquablue

aquablue Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Yeah, get Gilberto out of there. He's hard to understand.

stonejh127 and keller4president repped this.
  17. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    The World Cup Tonight show was better than I thought it would be. I usually like Twellman on commentary, but in the studio his way of talking in ALL CAPS and attempting to be jocular with the other guests but coming off as hectoring because he lacks the correct inflection in his voice is really grating. Ballack is better than he was on the Euros a couple years ago.

aquablue repped this.
  18. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is Lynsey Hipsgrave Rebecca Lowe's cousin or something?

19. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fox should hire them for next cycle. Arguably the best pairing we've had. Compliment each other very well. Far, far better than Darke/Twellman or Gus/Wynalda, the latter of which is atrocious by comparison.

20. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Yeah, I'm pissed that ESPN hired all of these guys who can't speak English clearly or with even a modicum of detail. I respect the fact they got a lot of very high pedigreed players - but it's all a waste if they can't express themselves clearly. Instead they're resorting to a bunch of very abstract and basic English words that don't really add much analysis.

Note to ESPN - next time make your analysts can speak English before you hire them. Martinez has been great, as has Lalas, Twellman, etc. I wish they'd hire Wynalda - he always says crazy stuff.

umop_apisdn repped this.
  21. aquablue

aquablue Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Should have hired Rossi... dude can talk.

keller4president repped this.
  22. stonejh127

stonejh127 Member+

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO Martinez is the best hire ESPN has ever made for soccer. Too bad the dude has a day job at Everton, because I could listen to that guy talk about soccer all day. Twellman is crap.

NASI GORENG and aquablue repped this.
  23. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha yeah I think that was the problem with wynalda and the reason a "family-friendly" network like ESPN (owned by Disney remember) wouldn't hire him for the World Cup.

aquablue repped this.
  24. aquablue

aquablue Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Yup, remeber how he eviscerated Beasley on air in 2006... Hilarious.

25. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    This! Admittedly I get to play with a hospital/university's 100mb/s connection, which I won't get to do at home, but I may have to stream and hook up to my flat screen through an HDMI since Univision seems to be getting spotty through my rabbit ears.