World Cup Souvenirs

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by T Nitty, Dec 16, 2005.

1. T Nitty

T Nitty New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    MD
    With all the USSF ticket polls, it seems like threads are falling off the front page quicker than a Hollywood marriage, but here goes...

Do fans at the World Cups ever exchange souvenirs from their respective national teams? I was thinking it would be cool to have a few pins, scarves, small flags, etc. to exchange with our opposing fans similar to the players trading jerseys (except for the damn Mexicans). Did this happen at all in 2002? Do we know of any non-expensive, easy to transport USMNT souvenirs?

Beads and blankets probably wouldnt be a good ideas, except maybe some type of Mardi Gras beads.

2. famdawg

famdawg member at large

Dec 14, 2005
    NY
    I'd be happy to trade a ticket stub at the end of the match!!!

Go USSF ticket dept.....Go! Go! Go!

3. T Nitty

T Nitty New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    MD
    Maybe Sam's Army could do some type of commemorative coin, like our armed forces. Or patches?

4. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    When I went to the Holland/US friendly in '04 in Amsterdam the Dutch fans were trying to get my US Jersey -- they were offering all kinds of their own stuff (jerseys, scarves, flags, etc) in exchange so I assume you'll see the same kind of response in Germany for the WC Matches. I'd come prepared.

5. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They can have my WC 2006 Commemorative Bitburger Beer Cup. It'll be empty though, so I hope they don't mind.

:D :D :D

6. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be bringing extra scarves--club and country--to swap.

furthermore I will gladly trade phone numbers with petr cech

7. GOOOOAL!!

GOOOOAL!! New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Don't know how it will be in Germany but in Korea you could trade anything.

We brought little US flag pins and handed them to people who did us a favor. The response was great and many times we'd get something in return.

We also had pins from our local soccer organization. They were also big hits as they were not the same old thing.

My wife traded a cheap knock-off Donovan jersey for a shirt from one for the workers in Suwon (a cool adidas polo with the WC logo).

Flags, scarfs and shirts will likely get you something in return.

People were even trading with Polish fans after the last group game where we lost.

8. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may also bring some local Turistenscheiß, like lobster hats or such, to throw around, especially since the lobster hats are easy to pack and amusingly stupid.