World Cup roster discussion

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by UP90, May 19, 2003.

1. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Re: Re: Parlow

please don't feed the troll:)

2. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    Re: Parlow

While that has been true at times. i think that she has steped it up of late. and you need big bodies of which she is one. Add Abby to the Mix and we have all the big bodies we need. i think that CP deserves a roster spot. She has never been one of my favorite players, and I have often complained that she is not a 90 min. player. and while i still do not feel she is a 90 min. player i still think she is valuable to the WNT.And has earned it.

3. grendel

grendel New Member

Nov 15, 2002
    Good article on the improved level of play since the last Women's World Cup:

Chastain envisions loftier Cup

"The playing field is getting more level. The U.S. team will be challenged. China's Sun Wen, whose team was defeated on penalty kicks in the 1999 final, has already started the trash talking, questioning the age of the American team.

``They are on the downturn,'' Sun told an Asian publication. ``They're still relying on the same players. Their younger players are not ready for the big stage.''

Sun's comments touched on a potential sore point for the U.S. team. To sell tickets, much of this tournament will be marketed around the likable, familiar personalities of the American stars. Marketing slogans are already being suggested: Julie Foudy has said, ``Come see the old ladies.'' Others have come up with: ``It's your first chance to see them for the last time.''

:D

4. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    .....yes they are older BUT, better !!, good luck USWNT, two time in a row won't be so bad...

5. Awe-Inspiring

Awe-Inspiring New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    I am glad to see Sun's trash talk getting ink. I hope it gets more, so fans get riled, and interest gets generated.

How about an ad that shows the great vets working out today, displaying their speed, fitness and skill, competing fiercely and successfully against both foreigners and American younger stars, with the background voice saying, "shouldn't you be doing this after 30?" Then show shots of young greats like Wagner and Wambach, in international play, with a woman's voice in the background saying "Sun Wen thinks America's women are too old to compete. Tell that to Aly Wagner (as she flies past another team or threads a great pass). Tell that to Abby Wambach (as she overpowers an opponent). Tell that to Brandi Chastain (show her barreling over an opponent). Tell that to Mia Hamm (pick any recent great play). [Pause]." Then have Chastain or Hamm say, "Bring it on!" Then a recognizable sports broadcaster's voice (my preference is Gary Thorn, who should be picked to do the final) booms out, "The Women's World Cup. It keeps getting better and better."

6. lab99

lab99 New Member

May 10, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    You're hired!! ;)

But seriously, that's just the type of ad I'd like to see. (I also enjoyed the 'team-oriented' commercials from '99). I am glad to see that WUSA is started to get more into this frame of mind with their advertising.

7. Awe-Inspiring

Awe-Inspiring New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    Thank you. I'm flattered. ;)

I'm glad you are seeing WUSA advertising like that. Of course, your team is one of the few that actually does a good job of getting the word out (casual sports fans I talk to from San Diego know that the Spirit plays there). The whole league needs to advance on this level.

8. UP90

UP90 New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Georgia
    I hope Sun doesn't have the last laugh. Some of our "old ladies" have been looking kind of burned out playing with their club teams lately. I just hope they can hold out.

9. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    Prediction. If the USA doesn't win WWC'03, the media are going to pounce on the lack of preparation post-Argarve Cup. In retrospect, games against the Canadian kids, England and Ireland aren't going to look like real/serious preparation. Lopsided scores for sure (always fun for the crowds and media) but soccer purists won't be fooled. Is upcoming game against Brazil the only real test for the US squad prior to WWC? If so, I wouldn't want to be in April's shoes.

10. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    is mac going to be back for WC? she said during the ireland game that her rehab is well ahead of schedule - wow that would be huge!

pearce and lilly are shredding the ireland left - abby is running wild out there - great gut check goal bu reilly, hope she's not hurt too bad

prediction - the US will largely cruise to a WC repeat, leaving BigSoccer posters to form other irrational fears :)

11. NYC ugly

NYC ugly Member

Aug 7, 2000
    Very near my computer
    They should try to get Iceland one more time. If they can manage to break Iceland's defense, I would feel much better. A game with the Canadian goons would be great as well. I think Canada will surprise the world this WC. If the USA and Canada are in opposite side of the draw, I would pick them for the finals.

12. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    she said she is going to be back but i have to highly doubt she will be back and playing well enough to grab a starting position and play well enough to displace some of the other canidates. can you come back in a few months? sure. but coming back and coming back and making an impact are two totally different things.

13. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    Canadian goons? Funny. But speaking of goons, Abby is a game-breaker. IMHO April would be nuts to not have her on the roster. Pretty soccer is nice but WWC'03 will be no cake-walk. Need to have your heavy artillery for this one.

14. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    reilly has a broken fibula - that's a shame - so she's out for WC - is it time to bring back fotopolous? welsh?

15. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    She's not out of the WC. A break like that generally takes six to eight weeks to heal. She'll be back by the end of July if things go well. The quotes I've seen from AH lead me to believe she has no intention of replacing O'Reilly for the WC.

16. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    I'd just like to say how much I agree with this post. :D

I think Abby proved a point last night. She scored twice, and could have scored a couple more. She also came back on defense and generally covered the field well. If we're lucky, she earned herself a spot on the WC squad last night.

17. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    you're right. heather said that she will definatly be back in time for the WC and is prepared to work just as hard as Mac is to return to the roster. im visiting her on friday, so ill try to take some pics and post them.

18. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    Good to hear. How was the break? By that I mean was it clean or kinda nasty.

19. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    yeah i just now saw that - i just assumed that would take longer to recover from - good news that... she's a nice, talented girl

20. Awe-Inspiring

Awe-Inspiring New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    I hope you are right. The USA needs Wambach in the lineup.

21. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    I think it depends on how well Abby does against Brazil (if she gets to play) in July. I can imagine the rest of the WUSA season will play some role as well. Consistency is where it all lies. The thing is, with Mac out and O'Reilly injured AH really can't afford not to have her on the team, but no one but April knows what goes through April's mind...so we'll see.

22. UP90

UP90 New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Georgia
    about our preparation...

I believe the US has two more matches in September before the Cup starts. Maybe they can line up some better competition.

23. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA

All hail The Wombat!

24. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  25. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    I might as well post this article here too, since O'Reillys injury is in here:

O'Reilly injury awakens bad memories for Pearce
    http://www.app.com/app2001/story/0,21133,752712,00.html