World Cup Qualifying Play Offs

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Iranian Monitor, Mar 23, 2022.

1. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    England has the 6th best all time world cup record and that is despite them not even competing in the first three! Spain 7th, not too bad for either when there are nearly 200 countries in this world!

https://www.worldfootball.net/alltime_table/wm/

2. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    #377 Kamtedrejt, Mar 31, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
  3. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Thanks for the list.

I'm not getting tired to repeat it. One of them will take it home this time. This is of course my personal opinion as of 31 March. Still a lot of time left till November.

4. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    This ranking makes little sense.
    You got Mexico that didn't reach any final 4 in almost 100 years of World cup ahead of Croatia that Already got a bronze and silver medal in 25 years of football.

Best performances ever along recency are way more interesting when you want to compare 2 nations.

Mexico is a lock when it comes to get past groupstage but they miss the extra spécial thing in them to make History once they are there.

Even when they faced USA in 2002 they didn't take advantage of the situation.

5. Itiofele

Itiofele Member

Sporting Cristal
    Peru
    Jan 1, 2018
    Lima, Peru
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It is NOT a ranking. It is the table along all WCs. Mexico has qualified for 16 WCs (not counting Qatar), and has played 57 matches. Croatia has only qualified to 5 WCs, and played 23 matches.

BocaFan repped this.
  6. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    #381 Nico777, Mar 31, 2022
    Croatia is indépendant only since 90ies...qualified now a 6th Time from 7 qualifiers.

Anyway Who would swap a World cup final and a 3rd place for 50 years of round 16?

Nobody cares. I would rather spend the next 15 years in group stage or not being qualified and get a shot at winning the whole thing in 2036 than spending my whole life witnessing round 16 After round 16 exits.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  7. Cosmin10

Cosmin10 Member

Feb 28, 2020
    Ibiza
    And you somehow missed his point…

BocaFan repped this.
  8. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    I don't. It's a table not a ranking alright.
    But it is not an useful information when it comes to rate runs potential for a nation.

Switzerland from UEFA became more or less like Mexico.

Right now i would rather face Mexico than Sénégal whatever this table is showing.

9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #384 EvanJ, Mar 31, 2022
    I think the easiest confederation to qualify from with a losing record is CONMEBOL. For 2010, Uruguay went 6-6-6, and got a win and a draw against Costa Rica to finish 7-7-6.

Would people like a ranking that did each's country's World Cup games divided by how many World Cups the country existed for?

10. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Missed my point.

Made a mistake deleting m'y post.

Mexico is like a Brazil from group stage but when it comes to knock out rounds they are irrelevant and this kind of draw won't show it.

Sénégal played a 1/4 final from their first World cup in 2002.

I think that generational talent and ability in a country to punch in Big occasions are way more serious Factors.

Mexico is a safer bet than Sénégal to reach round 16.
    But Sénégal has the potential to be the first African in a World cup semi final while Mexico probably won't go far even if they get past their group.

11. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    In 2018 we had a weakness up front and relied on Tim Cahill in general play, or constant pressure forcing defensive errors and scoring from free kicks and penalties. Against most Asian competition we dominated possession. We held our own possession wise in the world cup but still had the weaknesses up front i mentioned with our goals in Russia coming from the penalty spot.

In 2022 we no longer have the ability to dominate possession against decent teams in Asia and still have the same weaknesses up front. I think we are weaker than in 2018, and to make it through the playoffs we need UAE and Peru to also be weaker. Both of these teams defeated us in our last encounters, Peru at the world cup and UAE at the 2019 Asian Cup. If we do happen to make it through the playoffs I can see us going pointless in Qatar.

Hayaka and Kamtedrejt repped this.
  12. Cosmin10

Cosmin10 Member

Feb 28, 2020
    Ibiza
    So you think teams like Australia & Saudi Arabia, will finish at least 4th/5th place in the Conmebol qualifiers? Australia could only secure one point AND goal against Japan + Saudi Arabia in 4 matches. I can’t even imagine how they would fare in the 18 game marathon of Conmebol against a much higher level of opposition.

unclesox and BocaFan repped this.
  13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, let's remember that AFC has an extra spot in this WC so finishing third in your AFC group was easier than ever, and Australia still almost messed it up (by one point). I don't think Peru will have much trouble disposing of them (or UAE). It's lucky for the AFC team that its only a single match (played in Asia :cautious:). If it was 2 legs, with second leg in Cusco, it would be a foregone conclusion that Peru would qualify.

Cosmin10 and Every Four Years repped this.
  14. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I am neither imagining or speculating how any of the AFC teams would do in Conmebol. There are already too many variables to juggle talking about real world matches and match ups without any need to engage in totally irrelevant, unprovable or falsifiable, rank speculation.

15. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Let me also say this: as with Senegal v Egypt that I said would be 50/50, when I say Australia v Peru will be 50/50, it means I see an equal chance for either side to win in regulation and high likelihood that that game will be decided either after extra time or based on penalties.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Senegal-Egypt being 50/50 was a no brainer as they just played to PKs in the AFCON. Peru - Australia (if the Aussies even get there) is a bit more debatable as the form of the two teams are pointing in opposite directions.

17. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    It should have been considered a rational projection of the odds, but it wasn't seen that way here by quite a few regular posters.

Regarding Australia's form right now, that isn't exactly pertinent to what their form will likely be in June. If Australia manage to overcome the UAE, I think by June their form will be fine. I think its a mistake to read too much into how an Australia team -- hampered by lack of preparations and issues that many sides face in the Covid era -- performed against some of the teams in their group, particularly those not nearly as burdened or hampered by similar issues.

18. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The way CAF tend to stuff up qualifying formats I think its more likely they have 9 groups of six with the group winners qualifying, then draw Nigeria, Egypt and Tunisia (or 3 similar strong teams) into the same group.

Every Four Years and Paul Calixte repped this.
  19. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    CAF have 9, AFC have 8, 2 teams through playoffs making 48. Six teams in the playoffs are one from each confederation (apart from UEFA) and one extra from the host confederation. The hosts take up one (or more) of the normal confederation allowance. That means for 2026 there will be 3 spots for CONCACAF qualifying competition and 2 playoff spots.

20. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We should have some good midfielders who were not available for the last couple of matches available again. Also hopefully our coach wont catch covid again and be around to help prepare the team. He had to isolate in the week before our last two windows, missing the Vitnam game altogether and only emerging from isolation on the day of the Japan game, Having said that I rate our chances of qualifying at around 15%. I think we are a 50% chance against UAE, and if we get through that then a 30% chance against Peru.

21. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Regardless of who did it first I think its a disgraceful thing to do and needs to be stamped out before it spreads too far. Not sure how good security is at major African grounds, but security searches at entry and a decent security camera system to spot those that slip through can be used to identify offenders.
    It's about the only advantage an away team gets as they have to play extra time and then possibly penalties away from home. If we were being completely fair we would go back to replays on neutral territory but the way the international windows work these days that's impossible. I don't begrudge the away team that advantage. It goes some way to neutralise the advantages the home team gets.

unclesox and Petersonnn repped this.