world cup qualifying 2006

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by EvilRick, Jan 23, 2003.

1. EvilRick

EvilRick New Member

Jun 4, 2000
    Guadalajara
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Could the next hexagonal be held entirely in US soil?

I just heard a news wire. It claimed that a powerful
    American business man With strong ties to the MLS
    and the USSF wants the USA to host the next WC
    hex In its entirety and is lobbying the USSF to
    propose the plan to CONCACA.

This has already happened before, T&T hosted the
    last WQ leg for WC82 and it wasn’t Pretty. I don’t
    think the other federations would want to give
    away their home field advantage along with their
    profit, but there is a Jack Ass at the helm and with
    a big enough bribe, this could happen :(

2. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    this maybe have anything to do with phil anshutz (sp?) trying to buy the tv rights?

3. CanuckFan2

CanuckFan2 New Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Calgary
    Home field advantage?

I think Canada will be quite happy to play their home matches on Canadian soil, assuming we make the hex this time. And I can't imagine Mexico wanting to leave Azteca. What national association is going to want to hand over their home field advantage?

4. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    As an American, you would think I'd like this idea. But half the fun of qualifiers is going to places that you aren't wanted. It prepares you for bigger competition. Having it all in the US would be terrible, and I hate this idea.

5. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck New Member

May 13, 2002
    Re: Could the next hexagonal be held entirely in US soil?

Actually it was Honduras who held the entire 1982 Hex - to no one's surprise they won the group, with El Salvador finishing second & Canada tied for 3rd place a point out, eliminated frustratingly by because of a 2-2 draw with Cuba (had they won they would have gone instead of El Salvador - they had to wait another 4 years to get in). In 1978 the final round was hosted by Mexico & surprise, surprise, they got the only spot available to Concacaf. Whoever hosts would have an incredible advantage.

Having the US host the Gold Cup every year & the final round of qualifying for the World Cup would be a bit much methinks - but having said that I bet Canada would prefer playing its away games in the US than in Mexico or Central America, since the majority of Canada's players are used to playing in much colder climates. However, I doubt Canada will have much say in the matter, whatever happens.

6. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    And then there was the final round of WC74 qualifying played entirely in Haiti, where the Haitians qualified after defeating Trinidad 2-1...a match where the Trinis had 4 goals disallowed.

The 82 final must have been wonderful soccer, El Salvador qualifying despite scoring just 2 goals in 5 matches.

Staging the hex in one country would be a huge step backwards.

7. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    the next hexagonal be held entirely in US soil?

If the HEX was held entirely in U.S soil, the USMNT would not have Home field Advantage :D

8. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Could the next hexagonal be held entirely in US soil?

Just about as dumb as CAF with their qualifying proposal.

At least CAF had the sense to drop it.

9. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: the next hexagonal be held entirely in US soil?

I guess you didn't make it to Columbus, OH, on 2/28/01? :D

Plus, (and I haven't checked other threads yet, so this may have been addressed) Uncle Phil might only want to buy the international TV rights to the Hex, and then sell them off to the various countries, like Inter-Forever used to do with the CA nations and Canada during the '97 and '01 hexes.

10. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is dumb. Does it require a more intelligent reply than that from me?

oh, ok...It's totally freakin' retarded and would undermine the value of playing home and away.

there.

11. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA CONCACAF Nations Patch for FIFA 2003

For those interested and who own FIFA 2003 and would love to win the World Cup with their home nation.

I'm not trying to spam.

The patch adds
    -Honduras
    -Jamaica
    -Canada
    -El Salvador
    -Guatemala
    -Trinidad & Tobago

It also will update United States, Mexico and Costa Rica. The patch includes new menu graphics, kits for all the teams (many with 3rd and GK kits), flags and banners, and badges.

To download, go to http://www.fifaconcacaf.com

Thanks! Comments and suggestions are encouraged.

john@fifaconcacaf.com

12. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Re: Re: the next hexagonal

Part of the incentivce to hosting the HEX in U.S soil would be the cash money the teams would receive from the gates ect. That said the Rosebowl and the Orangebowl would be the most likely venues for hosting this event.. Maybe the USSF can improve their ticket profiling to ensure Home field advantage :p

13. CrazyMLSfan

CrazyMLSfan Red Card

Oct 31, 2002
    The Home Depot Center
    I think this idea is a Crazy one. I could understand Venezuela giving his rights up and play the home and away in other countries for obvious reason, but other than that NO. This will give USA an easy ticket to the world cup. USA should have not problem qualifying to the world cup not matter where they play the hexegonal. I dont see a link to this story. I mean, i read the article where this businessman wants to buy the rights for the Gold Cup and the Hexegonal, but playing all game in USA soil????. I' ve never read such thing. It could be true, but I never read that. But, dont count with my support.

14. ranul

ranul Member

fc edmonton
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2000
    alberta
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    world cup qualifying

Here is my idea for the world cup qualifying
    round 1 usa and mexico recieve a bye
    while the other 33 countries a divided into 11 groups of 3 . each group then holds a double round robin with the top 2 from each group advancing

round 2 6 groups of 4 of top 2 advancing(6 games each)
    semi finals 3 groups of 4 top 2 advances(6 games each)
    finals 1 group of 6 top 3 advance plus 4 place into a play off (10 games each )

15. firefan8

firefan8 New Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Ranul,

Your proposal would force Canada to play 24 matches to get to Germany. If your idea gets used, tell your guys they better get ready for a qualifying match in about 3 months.

My guess is not much is going to change in the qualification process for the next Cup. We're still going to have the hexagonal, but this time the 4th place team still has a shot.

16. Fedz

Fedz Member

Jul 14, 2000
    San José, Costa Rica
    Ranul:
    And why would the US and Mexico receive byes and not Costa Rica????

17. ranul

ranul Member

fc edmonton
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2000
    alberta
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    world cup

to answer the last two posts .
    you can have each round a single round robin . instead of a double .

I would have prefered that no teams recieved a bye in any round . but since their are 35 instead of 36 teams I decided to give the byes to mexico and usa since they had advanced farther in the world cup than costa rica .

18. Fedz

Fedz Member

Jul 14, 2000
    San José, Costa Rica
    And Yet Costa Rica has done better lately in the regional competition:

CR
    1 in Hex
    2 in GC

US
    3 in Hex
    1 in GC

Mex
    2 in Hex
    5 or 6 in GC

I am by no means saying that CR is better or going into any of that type of debate, but stating that giving out byes is very subjective and valid points can be made for any of the top three teams.

19. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is 100% correct. The current format is fine the way it is. The only change that could possibly benefit the system is to change the hexagonal to an octagonal due to the new half slot. Instead of just taking the top 2 from each of the semi-final groups also take the top 2 3rd place teams. I think concacaf has enough quality for a competitive final round.

20. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    here here! - well said

and nobody should get a freakin bye - i dont know whose idea that is but its obscene