World Cup Qualifiers: Italy vs Sweden (play-off)

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by forza_azzurri, Oct 17, 2017.

1. thinredline10

thinredline10 Member+

Juventus
    Apr 2, 2017
    #1801 thinredline10, Nov 24, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    Edit: you are right, he played behind Totti and Perrotta occupied the other midfield spot, for some reason i thought he played in the center of a 442 with Gilardino (bad spelling) and Tony in front of him.

So looking at that... our midfield really is not that much different in regards to roles.

Verratti occupies the pass distributor spot, Parolo and jorgihno occupy the box to box hard worker roles that Gattuso and Simone had. It is just the former were much better players the current guys.

2. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Chiellini. Just saying that nobody calls Matrix a 'great' or Perrotta or Gilardino, Iaquinta, Even Grosso wasn't considered a star FB at club level. And Totti was on one leg for that tournament. Meaning our "current" production level isn't a disaster. I think we'll surprise a few people at the next Euro.

3. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Bad management reached beyond the coach though, into the federation, league and particularly the clubs. For example, Italians I talk to are embarrassed when I ask them about the situation regarding Italian clubs' stadiums. Whether we discuss stadiums, appointment of coaches, development of young players, promotion of the league, etc., Italy is lacking compared to other major western European countries. The WC elimination, while primarily the fault of Ventura, is nevertheless indirectly linked to bad management because of how he came to be coach in the first place.

I think there is already sufficient talent in the NT squad for it to reach at least the quarter-finals in Russia next year - naturally it would have been dependent to a certain extent on who the opponent would be in the round of 16 game - and going forward there are names - some of which you mention (I doubt Gagliardini though) - who should be pushing some of the established players for starting positions, while after the next under 21 championship which Italy hosts in June 2019, I expect some, if not all, of the following to be promoted to the NT for the final games of euro2020 qualification in autumn 2019:

- Verde (Verona, on loan from Roma)
    - Paragini (Benevento, on loan from Torino)
    - Locatelli (Milan)
    - Cutrone (Milan)
    - Barella (Cagliari)
    - Orsolini (Atalanta, on loan from Juventus)
    - Chiesa (Fiorentina)

4. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I disagree about Perrotta, he was a mediocre player, evidence of which was the fact that despite being economically weak Roma never had any problems holding on to him.

5. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Yeah the situation isn't great in Italy. But it "seemed" that Tavecchio actually had things back on track somewhat.
    -He got us the 4 CL spots (which guarantees interest/investment).
    -VAR is also an advancement. That in particular cuts down all the paranoia/anger that goes on across Serie A teams.
    -League promotion is improved. Most international commentators are positive about the football played in Serie A.
    -Other areas like stadia, infrastructure are tied to the economy though and general state of Italy.
    Tavech's biggest mistake was listening to Lippi and the veteran players in coach recommendation.:ROFLMAO: I hope they learn from this.
    Yep. I don't know exactly who will make it but all the young players i see coming through, play with a level of energy and intensity more like LaLiga. One good thing about this exit is that it's forced a full rebuild. No more calling back retired players or stacking the team with 30+yo vets or senatori having crisis meetings.

Rosay and Calcio Pauly repped this.
  6. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #1806 Calcio Pauly, Nov 25, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    Yeah, true. None were great, they just played their roles perfectly at the right time. Grosso wasn't even considered a starter until Zaccardo had that horrible game vs USA. Then Zambrotta had to go to the right side. All because Lippi did not want to call Panucci, and it ended up working out. Ditto Nesta going down. Materazzi and Grosso turned into hero's out of a potential crisis.

The decline in defenders coming through was painfully obvious at that time. Do you remember right after the Euro's when Gamberini was considered an adequate CB?

I'm following this guy. We gave up on him to early for Bonaventura who isn't nearly as skilled, and now he's getting a chance at Atalanta. Hope they user him well and give him the playing time he needs.

Everton is not a force in the EPL but Cristante dominated that game. He has good vision, touch and isn't afraid of getting into attacking position @Falc will like this.

This guy needs to get a call up to the England friendly.

ArtemioD, Rosay and krado33 repped this.
  7. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Actually, the four CL places was the fruit of a negotiation betweem Agnelli and Gandini (in their roles as directors of the European Club Association) and Gill and Van Praag (in their roles as members of the UEFA Executive Committee).

Commentators are probably saying that because Serie A is a very attractive League to watch, as evidenced by it being the highest goal scoring league among the big five in Europe this season. If you look at the value of its non-domestic TV rights though they are significantly lower than both EPL and La Liga. The product has been poorly promoted, something which we hope IMG will remedy after beating MP & Silva to the rights for 2018-21 because of their superior strategy to increase the product's value, notwithstanding making a slightly lower offer than MP & Silva. However, promotion of Serie A will always be hampered by clubs having to sell their best players to richer clubs abroad and the eternal problem of the poor backdrop to games caused by relatively small attendances and dilapidated stadiums.

I don't think there is any positive element to not qualifying for the WC, I think not qualifying for a WC is the worst thing that can happen to any country, in terms of football.

krado33 repped this.
  8. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Oh, didn't know about the negotiations. Just that Tavecchio made a big deal of delivering the 4 spots so I assumed he had something to do with it.

Re: attractive league. It isn't just the goals. Teams across the board are playing with more verve and there's very little of the old time-wasting stuff. It's very noticeable by non-serie A fans.

Stadiums: Roma's getting a new one, Napoli has atmosphere to make up for the running track. But most look fine on TV. The less 'plastic' nature of the crowd is also part of the appeal of SA so it's something that shouldn't be done away with lightly. The state of the pitches is a bigger concern for the 'spectacle' but even they seem to be improving.

non-domestic appeal: a good showing on European nights will go a long way to improving the popularity. Losing players abroad doesn't seem a major problem. Besides um Salah I guess, nobody was lost. Anyway, all that Sheikh and oligarch money is temporary. Those fiefdom operations aren't long for this world.

PS: Is there a page/report outlining IMG's strategy?

9. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No, just reports from the meeting which assigned the rights.

I think you underestimate the weakness of the economy of Serie A and the impact of small attendances and poor quality stadiums. Unless the clubs' economies are improved, they will continue to struggle compared to clubs in England, Spain and Germany who have superior and sustainable economies, all in the context of the poor management and dis-organisation in Italian football.

phat repped this.
  10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    But Serie A clubs rely on TV revenue and not really from ticket sales. I mean they use to depend on selling of tickets as their only source of revenue and it was/is a nice chunk of change but the SKY TV subscriptions, at least since the late 1990's, are much more profitable for most teams.

11. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That is the sign of a weak football economy though.

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't know it worked for at least 20+ years. I don't thinking they have any other choice but to continue as they have. Knowing Italy, there won't be a bunch of new stadiums unless the country hosts another World Cup and that isn't going to happen anytime in the next 20-30 years.

13. el napulitan

el napulitan Member+

Sep 28, 2008
    < @sals mom crew >
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    You know whats crazy? you assuming I'm assuming. I aint assuming shit. I watched with my own eyes, when Baggio had a freekick, every opponent was shitting bricks. Today the biggest worry with the best players is wether this is now the 20th freekick they have taken and finally gonna score with law of averages on their side.Its absoloutley hilarious that you think these players are better than Maradona. Todays defenders are garbage, you seam to miss this important factor. You also seam to base your oppinionon nothing more than "because time has moved on". Those players you mention would have been eaten alive In 90s Serie A. likewise the players I mentioned would look like they are playing in childrens leagues today.
    You are absolutely right. Giovinco is better than Baggio, Chiellini is better than Baresi and Maldini. All because of nutrition and youtube. They never had the means to study players in the 80s and 90s. I forgot.

What makes no sense is the reasoning you two are using and that is all you are basing it on. not actual talent. The players you have mentioned all have performed terribly in the world cup. The strikers today suck, the midfielders today suck, the defenders and keepers today suck.

byw everyone, Candreva is better than Bruno Conti....because flintstone vitamins were not available in the 80s.

14. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    YouTube made Maradona better than Pele

Or maybe it was his VitaminS, possibly evolution too.

15. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The players today literally do not suck but this is pointless trying to explain to someone with his mind made up. The Giovinco comparison is a bit strange, I suppose Messi would be a better comparison but Baggio doesn’t come anywhere near Messi tbqh. Players get better every year, it’s fine that you don’t think so, because it happens regardless of whether you want to believe it or not

16. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    With a concrete infallible truth like that, then absolute no argument from you that Maradona was much better than Pele, end. Baggio, Ronaldo and Zidane too.

phat repped this.
  17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Baggio, at least since the 1970’s onward , was the best Italian player in my opinion. Had he not had problems with the majority of his coaches, he would easily be considered among the top 5 all time. Just look at where lowly Brescia has been since he retired. He made them into a top level club. Maybe not better than the “sette sorelle” but definitely a good competitive team. Italy has no players like him today and I doubt another one will come around anytime soon.

18. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    But football changed significantly both on and off the pitch after the year 2000.

As much as I - and I assume many of you - still enjoy going to stadiums whenever we are in Italy, generally people today want to go to a modern, well appointed and comfortable stadium with plenty of facilities, and until Serie A and Serie B clubs can offer that the product on offer via TV in Italy and abroad will not be as attractive as our competitors' products.

The underlying theme here is management. A well managed sport will not only have modern stadiums and high attendances, it will offer high quality football, its clubs being very competitive in UCL and UEL, and have a very competitive NT in the WC and EC.

I think it is nigh on impossible to achieve that in 2017 while you have incompetence, mismanagement and dis-organisation. Twenty years or so ago fewer countries were able to cause Italy problems on the pitch at club and international level, that is not the case today and will be even less so in the future, so high quality management of the game is essential.

This is not to say those things which Italians were always very good at like coaching and having lots of talented youngsters wanting to build football careers do not still exist, they do and they are solid foundations on which to rebuild the game in Italy which has lost part of its appeal and competitiveness over the last decade or so.

19. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    How many are poor quality (visually) now? Facilities don't effect the TV product. I just saw highlights from Cagliari-Inter and that looks as good as anything. Even better with the darkened crowd.

But yeah, management/organisation must be improved overall. Also someone has to sort out Milan. They're one of the prestige clubs internationally and they've been embarrassing the league for years.:ROFLMAO:

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don’t think there is a correlation. The EPL has a good league and good stadia but England’s National team is fairly weak. I haven’t seen a successful England since the Italia 1990 World Cup. It could help in UEFA competition but again Italian fans would rather pay the sky subscription as opposed to going to the game. That is how the clubs make their money.

Building your own grounds is nice and all but knowing first hand how construction is done in Italy (as I endured and lived it for 3/4 years), I can assure you , we will not see an influx of new stadiums. It’s a miracle Juventus built their own place but I doubt despite all the noise from Roma , Lazio etc, we will see many others anytime soon. As far as Roma , Lazio or Fiorentina is concerned , I’ll believe it when I see it. That also goes for Napoli, Milan and Inter. It just won’t happen.

21. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Materazzi's reputation as a buffoon got him a red against Australia and a penalty against him in the final, so between his goals and Nesta's ability to actually play defense, it's a wash.

Rosay repped this.
  22. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    If they didn't win the world cup maybe, but they did, so none of the rest mattered. I was more than worried when Nesta went out and Materazzi came in, but in the end he got the tying goal, made Zidane lose him mind, and then hit his penalty (>/than) red and penalty give away. By far.

23. thinredline10

thinredline10 Member+

Juventus
    Apr 2, 2017
    is he the argentine George Best?

just saw Trainspotting 2.... good movie for fans of soccer and partying alike.

24. thinredline10

thinredline10 Member+

Juventus
    Apr 2, 2017
    Didnt he slide into Ibra once in Serie A?
    Was he disliked or hated by his teammates in the NT for the dangerous tackles he made in the league?

25. thinredline10

thinredline10 Member+

Juventus
    Apr 2, 2017
    It is going to take foreigner money for new infrastructure.