World Cup Moving to Mexico?

Discussion in 'Philadelphia OT' started by ulysses10, Jul 13, 2008.

1. ulysses10

ulysses10 New Member

Aug 28, 2006
    What other countries may be positioned to take over? A lot of chatter recently about SA's Port Elizabeth stadium not being ready for a tournament next year, so FIFA to pull tournie out in 2010.

A hell of a lot easier to travel to, if it beocmes true.

2. JamesTaylor

JamesTaylor BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2007
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US or ENG I'm guessing. Blatter talked to three unidentified countries who said they would only need a year. The US is positioned better than 94 b/c of stadium sizes...

3. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Blatter mentioned that he had a plan b. Also he mentioned a few sites that could host the WC.

• spain/portugal
    • england
    • usa
    • mexico
    Personally I rule out all the European countries as Conmebol and Concacaf would object. That leaves Mexico and the US. Mexico has hosted in 70 and 86. So there chances are diminished.

Blatter went out record saying that the US could organize the WC in two days and that it was probably the only country that could do so.

I am wishful and praying that if SA loses the WC then we get it here in the USA.

4. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly think I would drop over if we heard this news. Philly starting MLS in 2010 AND a World Cup? Good Lord!

5. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Obviously this is all speculation and nothing is official.

But several things make you wonder. Blatter started with this rhetoric in 2007 and now in 2008 he started talking about "plan b" and along with that mentioning names of other potential sites. I feel like it could happen, we just have to wait and see.

6. asend

asend Member

May 24, 2007
    Lansdale
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    2010 World Cup in the US?

yes please thank you.

Having recently scrapped my South Africa plans, this would make me a happy man.

7. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly Philly wouldn't be a venue thanks to you-know-who...

8. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure either Fed-Ex or Giants Stadium would host at least one US game, though. And that would make me the happiest person in the entire world.

9. Calcio69

Calcio69 New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    CHADDS FORD PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP - you-know-what

10. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    Where did you hear that it could be moving here? I heard on another thread in one of the forums that they are almost done with the stadiums. I don't know how true either story was. Blatter also said last year that South Africa was Plan B (meaning they will be ready).

11. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This was a recent article concering Blatter and South Africa. He stipulated the Confederations Cup as the deadline for South Africa to be ready. If not they would move the WC.

12. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may be in the minority, but I am hopeful for South Africa's sake that they can pull it together in time.

13. Laudy

Laudy New Member

Nov 17, 2007
    Reinholds, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I would love the chance to get the World Cup in the US, I couldn't even begin to imagine what a devastating impact losing the World Cup would have on South Africa. They are spending money to make money in a sense and if their investment goes up in flames the consequences could be absolutely terrifying. I hope for their sake they can come together and make this work.

14. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that I should be rooting for South Africa, but I'd be lying if I said I was... Because I really, really, really want the World Cup to be somewhere I can afford to go to.

15. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    (sigh)... it could be in Philly in 2010 and I'd still not be able to afford tickets...

Maybe Brazil will find a way to fail. By then I'll have some sort of an income.

16. KnightofNi

KnightofNi Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    as much as i would love for it to be in the USA, it would be nice to have it in a country that is smaller so i could get to more games more easily. (and cheaply)

17. nozenuggets

nozenuggets Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to see WC 2010 in the USA. After all, in 1994, the matches here in the States were finacially successful. Pluse, there are more newer stadia ready (and maybe Lurie will help AFC Philadelphia out with a few matches here at the Linc) that are bigger than some of those in Mexico, plus there will be a new Meadowlands stadium ready.

18. dribbs

dribbs New Member

Oct 31, 1999
    Philadelphia, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Blatter went on record saying that Brazil is the backup plan? I understood that Brazil is ready to host the tournament now and would not need any retrofitting/refurbishing.

I still won't be able to go to Brazil...

-dribbs