World Cup Memories

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: General' started by imarker, Jul 21, 2010.

1. imarker

imarker Member

Jan 24, 2007
    California
    For me, the 2010 World Cup wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be. Sure, there were problems with the ball and the referees, yet the football won out in the end. Spain was fantastic. German was fantastic. And players came through like Forlan, Mueller, Ozil, Villa, Robben...well he did dive a lot and missed a few one on ones in the final. But as far as moments or big memories there were many.

The end of the Ghana versus Uruguay game. The end of the Spain versus Paraguay game. Landon Donovan's game winner versus Algeria. The fact the the final had two teams who had never won the World Cup was in itself a great thing.

What I want to recall though is those memories that stick out, and not just this World Cup but any World Cup. The moment when you first started watching soccer, maybe as a kid with your Dad or older brother. Those moments when you come to realize that the World Cup is like no other tournament or event in the world. Watching Diego Maradona tear up teams in 1986 in Mexico, the little man who made all the big men around him look foolish. Zidane, who floats along with the ball without a care in the world.

However, the best moments are when you celebrate the game with others, and often complete strangers, but you are quickly united in the love of the game and usually the team that you're both supporting that's up on the screen or out on the field if you're so lucky to be there. The bar erupts when Donovan scores in the dying minutes. Fans erupt when Casillas saves the penalty kick versus Paraguay.

Take a look at this contest over at Soccer Training Info, post your favorite World Cup memory of all time - you can sign in with your Facebook account: http://www.soccer-training-info.com...ontest-What-Is-Your-Greatest-World-Cup-Memory

2. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    People who say it was bad are a bunch of complainers. They should be ignored.

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Agreed. I think if you remove the WC final from every WC, it would make 2010 the best WC ever! The fact that the most important match of all was so poor perhaps drops it to #2 or #3 in the ranking, but that's still pretty good.

4. SportsGuru

SportsGuru New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    nah! i don't mind those complainers.