World Cup, leaving the kids at home

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by rickinva, Apr 19, 2006.

1. rickinva

rickinva Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Looking for some legal advice/info here. Michelle and I are going for 2 weeks, and I am not sure what paperwork I need to have prepared for my mother, who will be watching our 2 kids while we are gone.

Do I need a power of attorney made up, so she can make medical decisions for my kids should they need any hospital care while we are away?

What else might I need that I am not thinking of?

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Rick

2. gngrasso

gngrasso Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    That is a good question, I am in the same boat. I always thought that whoever is the guardian at the time can make that decision, but I'm not a lawyer.

But I DO know, however, that you should have a will in place before you go. Not a pleasant thought, but important.

3. El-Professor

El-Professor New Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Gulf Plains
    We're doing the same. We have our wills done and we'll leave a signed note with the granparents "to whom it may concern" that the grandparents have all responsibility for medical decisions.

Of course its not like we're going to Patagonia, the end of the earth, where no one can reach us, but its probably better to have contingencies in place.

I would like to hear if anyone knows the legal sides of this.

4. RandyfromUS

RandyfromUS Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Texas
    Again, not to be too morbid, but I was told to also make sure that your will contains specific assignment of custody for your children for the worst case scenario -- you don't need a court to decide this.

I read a document titled "if the plane goes down.." that someone wrote that listed specific instructions for such things (I just can't find it now) but you could probably think through most of it yourself. This should also deal with financial matters -- where all your bank and stock info can be found, etc. , and as much detail as you can think of that your parents/brother/sister would have a hard time dealing with if you were to become incommunicado. It's a good idea to do this anyway.

5. lebowski2332

lebowski2332 Member

Dec 14, 2005
    seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My kids are not coming to the WC, I am a lawyer and here are some thoughts that may help.

Make sure your Wills have a guardianship provision (spelling out who takes care of kids). Make sure someone knows where your life insurance policy/companies are and other important papers are. Make sure any school/ daycare/camps are given your permission to have granny/caretaker pick up/drop off/ sign for kids.

This may help; I prepared this is for my own personal use during the WC and am not sure if it will work (still, I think its better than nothing). Get it notarized if you can.
    If you want to make sure it works in your state, hire a lawyer to make sure. By posting this, I am not providing any legal advice to you and disclaim any liability that results from the copy or use of this POA.

Limited Power of Attorney

I, ______________, the undersigned principal, domiciled in __________ County, ________ [state], will be traveling out of the United States from _______ to ___________. I appoint _______________ [agent name] my attorney in fact hereby granting [him/her] the full power and authority to perform the following acts for me and in my name, place and stead as fully as I could perform if personally:

1. To make all medical, dental, healthcare, treatment, informed consent, hospitalization, medication, health insurance authorization, or any other health care related decision for the care and treatment of my minor child, _____________, d/o/b ______.

2. To make all decisions for, or on behalf of, _______________ related to school, camp, or other recreational or educational events, including permissions for field trips, or any other educational or recreational decision or consent.

This limited power of attorney shall be effective from _________ and will expire on______________.

Dated this _________ date of ____________, 2006.

State of __________
    County of ___________

On this _______ day of ________, before me, a Notary Public in a for the State of _________, personally appeared ______________________, personally known to me, or proved to me on the basis of satisfactory evidence, to be the person who executed this instrument and acknowledged it to be of his/her free and voluntary acts and deeds for the uses and purposes provided herein.

In witness whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and official seal the day and year first written above.

Print Name_____________________