World Cup Injury Watch

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by 00Kevin, Jan 6, 2014.

1. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Ivory Coast now has the best and deepest strike force - Gervinho, Drogba, Traore, Doumbia, Kalou, Bony + Toure adds depth.
    Japan has the best midfield - Kagawa + Honda.
    Greece has the best defence.
    Colombia will now basically be going on the most well-rounded team.

Should be interesting.

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think people are putting too much stock into the Falcao injury in January. If this were May then maybe the Group dynamics would change but there are months of time for many things to change.

Also, it is not like Jackson Martinez is chopped liver. The guy is arguably the best striker in Portugal and is wanted by teams like Arsenal and Chelsea.

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    And Colombia has the best Manager.

4. Bengoechea

Bengoechea Member

Jul 28, 2005
    São Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Sure, no one is denying Jackson qualities. But this makes me remember Brazil squad in 98. Romario got injured and was replaced by Bebeto. Bebeto was a suberb player, but he was no Romário.

Jackson is a great player, but he isn't Falcao. Falcao can define a game by his own, something i can't see in Jackson.

I can still see Colombia qualifying from the group, but now i give the first spot edge to the Ivorians.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Falcao does have qualities that are great but Jackson's numbers have been better at Porto than Falcao's was...
    ... so who knows???
    By June the team can adjust and the cohesion could be better. That is not out of the realm of possibility.

6. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Similarly Drogba never had Seydou Doumbia's numbers. But there is a consensus that Drogba / Falcao are more pivotal. It may be wrong.

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #32 HomietheClown, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    And I have not even mentioned the other striker options that have not even been called up yet. Adrian Ramos is one of the best foreigners in Germany right now. Fredy Montero is one of the best forigners in the Portuguese League.

Colombia is so deep these guys have not even been called up yet. Now they may get a chance to be integrated and may have a chance at a roster spot. Injuries sometimes make other players fight more for a spot that once looked bleak.

8. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I am not saying that Colombia's chances are drastically reduced, but Falcão is really something special. At Porto, he was more than a striker. At the time, many people talked about Hulk, but he was the real responsible for Porto's offensive ability. He created and finalised chances. On the other hand, Jackson is a pure striker. That does not mean Colombia will not do well without Falcão. James is another great player and capable of building offensive plays.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #34 HomietheClown, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    Falcao has never been a pivotal focal point for Colombia though. He has been for his Club teams but for many years people thought Falcao was just mediocre for his National team. This cycle that sentiment has changed a bit since he is the leading scorer but there is not much drop off with guys like Jackson, Muriel, Bacca, Ibarbo, Teo, etc. And there's many months to plan ahead, adjust and acclimate.

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As I said in my other post Falcao has been crucial for his club teams but he is not the end all be all for the Colombian National team. He has had his ups and downs.

11. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Colombia is deep with quality in that position. I don't see this injury changing anything at all tbh.

12. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Bryan Oviedo of Costa Rica with a double fracture. He is out. Second casualty from a cup game against lowly opposition.

13. ghost101

ghost101 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He hurt himself though. Opposition had little to do with it.

14. 00Kevin

00Kevin Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    SoCal
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colombia have had some bad luck at world cups past and losing Falcao this time could be too much.

still, they are in one of the weaker groups on paper. I can see them getting through the group stage with little intervention from Falcao. The dates that really need to be circled are June 28/29 - the first knockout game vs. Italy/Uruguay/England. So if he can recover in 5 months and If they don't push him too hard in the first round and have him fresh for the knockout rounds...they may be able to get away with it

15. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    The only reason this is one of the weaker groups is because Colombia is in it and not Spain or Brasil. You have the toughest draw from the CONCACAF/AFC pot and one of the worst draws in the CONMEBOL/CAF pot.