World Cup in Portuguese

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Panfilo, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  2. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    damn if this could happen also for spanish speakers!

i really hope univision does something decent this time, my dad deserves to watch a WC without getting bored , hopefully i will be in southamerica for the next WC....... :D

still i plan to record all te games. ill use the DVR so probably most of the games will be recorded. if the WC is going to be broadcasted in portuguese i suppose it's gpoing to be BRAZILIAN PORTUGUESE right? because i kind of think that POTUGUESE FROM PORTUGAL(is that how you call it?) sounds like SPANISH from SPAIN! = boring and disgusting..................

if a game gets to be broadcasted in portuguese i really hope they say the famous

BRASIL SIL SIL

3. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If it's ESPN Deportes in the USA it'll be Brazilian Portuguese. Looks like they're acknowledging the growing Brazilian populations in South Florida, New Jersey and out West and giving them an alternative to Spanish. Frankly that sounds pretty awesome to me.

4. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    it's good that happens to you guys. the spanish-latino community outnumners all the minorities in the US, so it makes sense that we have tv and radio stations for spanish exclusively. when i came to the US(2002) i started to complain about a lot of things, but suddenly comprehended and realised that many of the tv channels and radio stations were "brand new". my uncle who came on 1979 said that he watched the 82 and 86 WC's and he depended on tv highlights which he said were brief. then for the 1994, which seems to be the very first WC in spanish, and also the very first one to receive recognition and media dfrom the US, obviuosly since they were the hosts, he actually recorded some vhs and one day he started to play them. he had the germany-bolivia game from ABC i think, and then he had the colombia-US from univision recorded....

now , well next year, 2010 you guys will finally get a portion of the WC in your language. i hope that you guys enjoy it, and the spanish speakers on the US would have to keep relying on MEXIVISION! :mad:

5. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    i asked the question since i live in artesia, ca a city which back in the 60's was 90% portuguese. when i moved here in 2005 only two of our neighbors where portuguese, but 2nd or 3rd generation. they had some portuguese stuff at home, like flags, pictures of places like coimbra and all that, and cooked stuff like bacalao. however they both moved in 2007 and also some elderly people who lived in a SENIOR CENTER, who were all portugese suddenly "dissapeared". i guess they moved to another place, or they died. they were really old, i bet the youngest one from that gang was 75 or something!

so that is whay i asked whether the WC was going to have the BRAZILIAN PORTUGUESE transmission...........

6. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    nice. maybe we can even have an ESPN360 feed in Portuguese -- I know they had some of the Euro games in Spanish in 2008.

guess this also means that Globo won't have the Portuguese language rights to the games. No Galvao! I assume it will probably be the ESPN Brasil guys commentating?