World Cup Group Stage draw

Discussion in 'Ecuador' started by Pingudo, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Pingudo

Pingudo New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    What teams would you like to avoid in the group stage of the World Cup? What're the most fearful? easiest?

You'll have a seeded team, a non-seeded-euro team, and either an Asian, African or concacaf team.

The seeded teams are Brazil, Argentina, Germany, France, England, Italy, Spain (or Holland) and Mexico.

So potentially you could have a tough group like Germany, Holland, and Ghana.

Or you could have a slightly less challenging group like Mexico, Slovakia (or Switzerland) and Bahrain/Uzbekistan.

2. Ciclon_Ecuatoriano

Ciclon_Ecuatoriano New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Toronto
    I think any group will be tough. but i would be lying if I didn't want Ecuador in a group with atleast one asian team *we can take any of them*, an african team *likewise* and the other doesn't matter, but it would be nice if it was either Italy or Mexico so we can get revenge for last time! haha

3. kaviedes_freak

kaviedes_freak New Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Toronto
    It would be ironic if Ecuador was to face Japan, as my girlfriend is Japanese... haha it would toss a wrench in our relationship for those 90 minutes. what am I saying, I almost forgot taht she is almost converted! ahha :D

but in all seriousness, I just hope Ecuador will do well, no matter what teams we have to face. I am proud we got to Germany, and like Kaviedes says,, we got a team that can challenge anyone. Let's just pray that God will take care of our best players and keep everyone healthy and in top form.

4. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    teams i wouldn't want to face in the 1st round:

brazil - just too damn good
    germany - as hosts, the refs will be entirely in their favor.

i'm not sure how the seeding works, but mexico will probably receive a seed as #1 in concacaf + their fifa ranking is usually high. so an ideal group would be

mexico
    african team
    euro team
    ecuador

i know that we can take mexico and give them a good game, as they are vastly overrated. as far as the african team, they will have little experience on the big stage, since most of them will be debutants. hopefully we can counter their athleticism with composure. and the euro team will be the toughest in my opinion. a team like netherlands or ukraine would be very tough, but then again no games in the world cup would be easy.

5. viagoal

viagoal Member

Jan 5, 2005
    Yes, I would agree to stay out of a group with host Germany and with powerhouse Brazil...

I would like to see Ecuador play Mexico and Slovakia... and a team from either Africa or Asia...

6. kaviedes_freak

Oct 1, 2004
    Toronto
    I don't think they put south americans in the same group, do they? I don't think it will be possible we will be with Brasil.

Mexico, as I mentioned before for revancha, also Italia i know we can take them both!

an african team and asian team would make things easier.

7. afa10fef

afa10fef Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    in my opinion i would like to avoid Mexico, for some reason we ALWAYS have trouble with them. I would like to play a powerhouse European (Spain, France, Italy), along with an African Team and Asian Team. Hows this sound:

Netherlands
    Japan
    Ecuador
    Angola

interesting eh:?

8. ecuafutbolfreak

Jun 3, 2004
    Quito
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    yeah, that sounds like a group we can play!
    i think we would be favouites to get out with Holland if that was the case.

9. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hardest group:
    Holland (if seeded). If not, Germany (home team)
    Holland (if not seeded). If not, Portugal.
    Ivory Coast

Easiest:
    Spain or England
    Ireland
    China

10. Ladic

Ladic Member

Jul 19, 2005
    Guayaquil
    I would like this group:

England
    Ecuador
    Ukraine
    Costa Rica

11. Pingudo

Pingudo New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I don't think this would be possible since the the second pot would mainly contain euro teams, so you're missing a second euro team there. The draw is divided into 4 pots:

1. all the 8 aforementioned seeded teams
    2. other 8 euro teams
    3. one way: 7 teams from concacaf and asia, plus last euro team
    4. 5 from africa, plus 3 remaining south american teams (assuming Australia is eliminated by 5th SA.

So the 3 possible rivals are:

1. a euro team or mexico (seeded teams pot)
    2. a euro team (euro teams pot)
    3. an african, asian, or concacaf team

12. Pingudo

Pingudo New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    This is very unlikely as China is already eliminated :)

13. ecuafutbolfreak

Jun 3, 2004
    Quito
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    that's right... and someone said china, but china is not even in the WC, from asia, it is Japon, S. Korea, S. Arabia and Iran. I hope we get S. Arabia, or Iran, we would whip their sorry asses so hard they wouldn't want to ever compete in a WC. :D

14. afa10fef

afa10fef Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    why mexico? and not the U.S?i thought the U.S finished first

15. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :) i was just trying to think of an easy asian team.

16. ecuafutbolfreak

Jun 3, 2004
    Quito
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    haah yeah, if they were here, it would be easy! i think Japan and S. Korea are the top asian teams and the only ones who deserve any respect. it would not be easy, but we can take them.

Iran and S. Arabia would be whipping boys for us!

17. Pingudo

Pingudo New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It's not based on who finish first in the qualification round, it's based on a complex formula that takes into account the last 3 world cups and the FIFA coca-cola rankings of the last three years. The teams at the top of this list are Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Mexico, Germany, Italy, England and France. I think Holland is next, so if Spain or France fail to qualify, Holland will have a seed.

18. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    concacaf is not done yet, but mexico is currently ahead of the usa with 1 game left to play for both teams. also, as someone already mentioned, the formula for seeding is more complex than just standings, although standings do play a part in it.

19. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not so sure about iran. they have some solid players and a star in karimi. i think s. korea would not be as difficult as them. japan are prob the best.

20. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    The old seeding formula, which is what many of us are assuming will be used again this time around, has Mexico comfortably seeded among the top 8. The factors going into the formula are: 50% WC performance in 94, 98, and 02 (weighted 1/6, 2/6, 3/6, respectively) and 50% FIFA world rankings from the last three years. Mexico compares favorably in the World rankings and outperformed the US by a lot in the 98 WC.

21. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Actually, final standings in qualifying do not play a part in the current seeding formula. Only year-end rankings and previous World Cups do.

22. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would like to play Autralia after the kick Uruguays ass!!!

23. | Mr. Universe |

| Mr. Universe | BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 29, 2005
    Pudding Island
    Pfft ignorant Ecuas. Iran is currently the best team in Asia, the 2-1 loss against Japan in Japan a few months back with our B team was our 1st loss against Asian opposition in over a year, we have a winning record against Every team in Asia, and don't get it twisted, last time we played you it was us who whipped you not the other way around.

12-JAN-00 LOS ANGELES (USA) Iran vs. Ecuador 2:1 (1:0) Friendly 2000
    02-JUN-99 EDMONTON (Canada) Ecuador vs. Iran 1:1 (0:0) Friendly 1999

Iran usually has a good time against South American opponents, Brazil Argentina Paraguay Uruguay Chile Venezuela and Bolivia, are some of the teams that have felt the might of Iran and the only team that has beaten us out of SA has been peru of all teams! back in the 78 WC...

24. kaviedes_freak

Oct 1, 2004
    Toronto
    ahha i bet you thought we were using our best team... :rolleyes: and how long ago was this?? you just lost credibility... :D

25. Pingudo

Pingudo New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Here's one possible scenario:

(assuming the higher ranked countries of Spain, Czech, Turkey, Uruguay, and Trinidad&Tobago win the playoffs)

Pot A: Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy, England, France, Spain, Mexico
    Pot B: Holland, Czech, Portugal, Sweden, Turkey, Poland, Ukraine, Croatia
    Pot C: Serbia, Japan, S.Korea, Iran, Saudi Arabia, USA, Costa Rica, Trinidad
    Pot D: Tunisia, Ghana, Cote d'Ivoire, Angola, Togo, Ecuador, Paraguay, Uruguay

Or:

Pot C: Serbia, Japan, S.Korea, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Uruguay
    Pot D: Tunisia, Ghana, Cote d'Ivoire, Angola, Togo, USA, Costa Rica, Trinidad

A slightly less challenging group would be:
    Spain
    Croatia/Poland
    Trinidad

Any group involving Germany and Holland would be tough.