World Cup (for baseball) in March 2005?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by truthandlife, Nov 10, 2003.

1. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    World Cup (for baseball) in March 2005? (Barf alert)

(Excerpt from article: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1658802 )

Teams would include team's big stars

Another World Cup may be in the offing, this one for pitchers and batters.

Looking at soccer's success at creating the world's most-watched tournament, major league baseball could give the go-ahead by the end of January to start a World Cup in March 2005.

Many issues are unsettled, but both the commissioner's office and players' association would like to have at least one year of lead time to prepare.

The U.S. team might have a difficult time winning. Stars such as Pedro Martinez and Vladimir Guerrero could play for the Dominican Republic, and the Japanese team could include Ichiro Suzuki and Hideki Matsui.

2. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Why the barf alert? This is baseball I might actually watch. I think it would be interesting, if done right. Whil I think there are questions of legitimacy, as this will be put on entirely by MLB and not an international governing body, I'd be interested in seeing how the US does.

3. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    World Cup of Baseball ALREADY exists. As a matter of fact Cuba just won it last month. Like it or not THAT is a fact.

4. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Pan Am Games? That isn't the "World Cup" of baseball. "World cups" imply that countries send their very BEST sides. Typically, that means their very best professionals.

No country in the Pan Am Games with players in the major leagues sent their best teams...and THAT is the fact!

You cannot consider the Pan Am Games the world cup of baseball.

5. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd watch it too. It would be fun seeing the USA, Japan, the Dominican Republic, and Puerto Rico playing one another.

6. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    This is just fantastic news..... 10 years late.... but about freakin time!!!

Go Midway!

7. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I'd imagine that Yankee Stadium or Shea would get a few games right?

8. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    That's nice.

BTW, did I mention that I'm the IBR Heavyweight Champion of the World?

9. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If you can't get the countries to show up for an Olympic qualifier, then how do you expect them to show up for this?

10. B1

B1 Member

Feb 19, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because this will be supported by MLB and the MLBPA. Therefore everyone in MLB will be available.