World Cup Fan Preparations / Traditions

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by forza_azzurri, Jun 5, 2006.

1. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    OK ......with one week until game time let's get away from the serious side of calcio for now and talk about what we do to prepare for a game and/or World Cup tournament.

-I got my cell phone loaded with "Inno Di Mameli" as my ringtone
    -have my large Italian flag in the trunk in case a celebration breaks out
    -have my Azzurri jersey and cap ready to wear (but only on game day)
    -stocked up on antacids and Advil :D

2. tutto_azzurri

tutto_azzurri New Member

Mar 10, 2006
    toronto
    i got 5 italy jerseys 1 a day to school for the week,
    plus flags everywhere u can think..car..house..everything..

i think im in love

3. Reycd

Reycd Member

May 6, 2003
    HONK!! HONK!!
    Club:
    Real Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    Tahiti
    Well I dont overdue it..

New Italy Home Jersey and scarf on game day in 85 degree heat

4. vincep5

vincep5 Member

Jun 19, 2005
    taking the day off on the 12th to watch italy v ghana. Back in high school I would wear my jersey on gamedays.

anyone know what color jersey Italy will wear vs ghana usa and czech. and how is that determined anyways/?????

5. mritalian1210

mritalian1210 Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern Jersey
    Club:
    AC Milan
    This is my last full week of classes so they won't interfere with the games but work might. Thank god I work for someone who understands how important these games are and allows me to take off. Anyway. Just ordered my 06 WC Italy home with #6 Nesta. Got a couple of blank video tapes to tape the games on. Can't wait

6. mookhead

mookhead New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Metro Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I decked out my garage to make it look like a mini-soccer field (I knew I would find a use for that old dark green carpet) and put up the national team poster and scarf as well. I will need to get a jersey.

7. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He's wearing #13 this time...;)

We should have no problem, as the home team wears the home jersey. Ghana is White, so we can wear Blue, the USA is white, so we can wear Blue, and the Czech's have red home jerseys, so we may have to wear white then.

8. cmblfc

cmblfc Member

Jan 6, 2005
    New Britain, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am about to take off every day that italy plays. I took off game 1 already.

I will be wearing my Napoli scarf and my Italy jersey on gamedays.

9. mritalian1210

mritalian1210 Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern Jersey
    Club:
    AC Milan
    yah your right 13. Im used to saying 6 but i got 13.

10. RichieZ16

RichieZ16 New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Denver
    Italia Jersey home Gilardino
    Big flag outside my house
    Like a carton of cigarettes for halftime.
    Antacid
    Espresso
    few soft soccer balls(nerf style cause i went postal with a real one on my college apartment in 02' vs Korea and landlord wasn't happy)
    Did I mention a carton of CIGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAH less than a week goose bumps baby, goose bumps!!!!!

11. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Guys this is what we do. About 15 of us go to a friends house. This guy has an unbelieveable set up in his basement that is right out of a Food Network gourmet kitchen. The most impressive thing is his brick oven for his homemade pizza's. For the Ghana game we are getting together earlier than usual to watch the first game and prepare for the main meal which will be like a 7 course Roman feast filled with home made wine from his friend who lives in Montreal and is one of the main wine makers up there. Dont know what we are going to do for the USA game but in the past we have taken trips to 18 Ave in Brooklyn and Little Italy in Montreal though we could end up in Wilmington DE for St. Anthony's feast. Also the West Philly soccer club is an option.

12. IL CALCIO SIAMO NOI

IL CALCIO SIAMO NOI New Member

Jun 5, 2006
    Great thread....This is what I do...

Toss and turn night before, cold sweats, 2 or 3 different dreams of the game.

Game day very silent ride to work, goose bumps nervous and very wide eye and a total mute at work.....

Will leave around 12...couple of glasses of wine to pre game...watch it with about 6 people who are rooting for Italy....

I don't sit, just slouch over a couch, and pace... I used to cheer after a goal, but after the cup in 2002 I wait till the ball is brought to the center line because of our 5 disallowed goals...

I love watching all the other games, but watching Italy makes me age

13. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So TRUE ..... I find myself pausing at least 2 seconds after the ball is in the net before I can go ahead and cheer or high 5 my friends.

14. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That was the case when I was watching Italy-Bulgaria during Euro 2004 when Perrotta scored. I thought for sure the ref would call a foul on ADP for touching the keeper, and then Perrotta stuck it in, and it counted, and I went wild running around my living room screaming at the top of my lungs. Of course, we all know how that ended...

15. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't have a specific routine I go through, but here is one that I had for a while. In late 1990, I received a replica of the Italy NT jersey of the time. In May 1991, Italy was playing a crucial Euro Cup qualifier against Hungary. I wore the shirt that day, and Italy won 3-1. From that point on, I said to myself that I would wear the jersey every time Italy played. Well, the next month we played in Norway and I didn't know about it. No shirt, and a loss. Hmmm.

For two years Italy went undefeated, and sure enough I had my shirt on each time. Then, in May 1993, we were playing a WC qualifier in Switzerland. I blew off taking the shirt with me for a couple of reasons, as I was away from home to watch that game on TV, and sure enough, 1-0 loss. Hmmm.

Then, in the Spring of 1994, I wore the shirt during some friendlies, and Italy lost once or twice with me wearing the shirt. In anger, I thought the spell had been broken, so I stopped wearing the shirt, thinking that the "good luck charm" effect was gone. Italy-Ireland opener. We all know how that went.

Then, for the Norway game, I started off without the shirt. Then Pagliuca got a red, Baggio was substituted, and this was all within the first 10 minutes. I said "damn it, the shirt is coming back." I put the shirt on, and Italy pulls through for a 1-0 win. I keep the shirt on for each game, but decided that either way, I was going to permanently retire the tradition after the WC. Well, we make it to the final, and while we didn't win, we technically didn't "lose" either.

So that's it...In 3 years, Italy only lost 3 official games, coincidentally on the 3 occasions that I didn't wear the shirt...

I stress out too much about these tournaments, and having rituals really just adds to the stress for me. So these days, I really don't do anything in particular, besides just pray and hope for the best.

16. aussie_ascoli

aussie_ascoli Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Because its cold in AUS, and games start from midnight to the morning. During the Italia games, I will start by having Pasta, with traditional home made sauce, even the tomatoes are grown from the backyard. Then a little espresso, with grappa, either the grappa (home made) will be drank on its own, or in the coffee. Or I might get the Meletti out. As the games near, I will make sure, I get the castange going, especially to warm my body. Nothing like castange's to fill your belly and warm you up. Then I'll put the battle dress, which consists of the italia shirt (Euro 04) and a scarf. Then I'll either go to my mates house, or into the city to watch the game.

However this is the first year in which Italia will be my alternate team.
    Forza Socceroos. :eek: :D

17. mookhead

mookhead New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Metro Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Bring Back the Jersey!!!

18. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    I take the day or half a day of work, put on my jersey and scarf head down to Steps of Rome in North Beach and drink an espresso and then Peroni the rest of the match and stress out all 90+ minutes.

Right now I'm in Frankfurt at my buddies house stressing out because I found out yesterday, Razorgator sent my tickets to my place in San Francisco. They say they should have the tickets back in Frankfurt by Monday morning but I not getting a whole lot of rest or sleep until I have them in hand. Following Italia, is I believe taking more days of my life then smoking.

19. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to watch the game at an Italian club/bar, but I may just watch with my uncle at his house (he lives on Franklin Ave, the "Little Italy" street in Hartford) until the next rounds, because I am not a member of any of those clubs. Most of the first generation Italians are well into their 50's these days, so it won't be like the past, which I've only heard stories about. But hopefully there will be some celebrations outside if all goes well! I'll be prepared with flags, shirts, etc. If anyone else lives in Hartford, let me know.