World Cup Expansion to 48 Teams (Update: FIFA Council Agrees 2026 Slot Allocation)

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by shizzle787, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Splitting hairs, but I don't think anyone gives a damn about T&T/England (other than the Trinis for historical ties, and Man United fans 'cause Yorke) if it weren't for T&T giving everyone a shock by previously holding Zlatan and Sweden in check. Hell, I'm pretty sure that standing on his head against Sweden is why ESPN signed Hislop in the first place :D

With an extra point for shootout wins:

Argentina 5
    Sweden 2 0
    El Salvador 2 -3

Without an extra point:

Argentina 4
    Sweden 2
    El Salvador 1

Either way, Sweden would be set to advance before the shootout even kicks off. I see what you're saying, and whatever FIFA geeks are studying these possibilities would have to consider this an argument for bumping head-to-head up to the first tiebreaker - which they may have to do anyways if they want to avoid weaker sides facing practical (if not mathematical) elimination before the last matchday.

BocaFan repped this.
  2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For teams who know they won't advance, it can be a big deal to say they got a point in the World Cup rather than 3 losses. T&T was the second Caribbean team to get a win or draw against a UEFA team in a World Cup.
    In 1938 (68 years before T&T), Cuba played a 3-3 draw with Romania after extra time and won a replay 2-1. In that World Cup, there was a Round of 16 with no Group Stage. The Round of 16 had 15 teams because Austria withdrew after being annexed by Germany. In between 1938 and 2006, Haiti lost every game in 1974, and Jamaica beat Japan and lost to Croatia and Argentina in 1998.

Pipiolo repped this.
  3. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly, Cubans today have no idea that ever happened :D

But we broke Dino Zoff's clean sheet record, never forget that ;)

4. nbanba

nbanba Member

Nov 1, 2004
    In my opinion, 48 teams in 2026 is not much.
    It would be more reasonable to expand 64 teams.
    There will be Final 32, Final 16, Quarter-Final, Semi-Final, Final.

5. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just felt compelled to mention that I'll miss the home-and-away intercontinental playoffs.

I know that they were a logistical nightmare, but they gave us too many quirky anecdotes to count. My personal favorites:

- The Uruguayans bathing in the Dead Sea after wrecking Jordan
    - Australians losing all sense of decorum to boo Uruguay's anthem after the chicanery in Montevideo
    - Peruvians losing their minds after beating New Zealand (take the WCQ aspect away and it's ridiculous :D )
    - Iran having to allow Irish women into their national stadium
    - Uruguayan scumbag journalists starting a fight with Costa Rica's bench after Centeno's equalizer
    - The penalty save by New Zealand's keeper against Bahrain
    - Chris Birchall scoring with a trademark rocket for T&T against Bahrain

themanlarry repped this.
  6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Are they going away?

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    They are not really going away just will be at a neutral site as a tournament instead of home-away aggregate.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  8. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Diego Maradona's return to the Argentine NT after three years' absence against Australia.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Speaking of the Intercontinental playoffs, the 2022 cycle version will have a different dynamic than previous ones.

Regional Qualifying will end November of 2021. The IC Playoffs are scheduled for March of 2022.

Teams will have much more time to prepare and scout their opponents which could makes things more interesting on the field.

It could also be an advantage for teams that are mostly comprised of domestic players not playing on foreign soil.
    I can see teams like El Salvador , Panama, China, Saudi Arabia, etc, Taking players to train and practice in the cities they are expected to play in and acclimate to the climate/weather and get comfortable with their surroundings.
    Teams with less domestic based players would have to wait until the actual FIFA dates to train there as a unit..

10. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Fifa's greed is ruining the best sporting event in the world.

48 teams is far too soon.

BocaFan repped this.
  11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    You cannot stop the inevitable.
    Might as well pull off the band-aid quickly and get it over with.

12. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    the same as not all 16 team world cups were better than the 24 team wcs and the 24 team wcs weren't better than the ones with 32 teams this wont detoriate the quality either.

btw. hermann neuberger was opposing 24 teams in 74 and 78 for the same reason... too early. without him, george best, alberto spencer and many others would have played in a world cup.

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes.
    People are going a bit overboard with the whole World Cup is going to be horrible after expansion notion.

As I have emphasized in many posts around here I think there will be some boring aspects, some exciting aspects and some shocking/controversial aspects just like any other format.

And having an extra round of knockout do-or-die matches should be a lot of fun.

14. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    problem are not 48 teams, the real problem is mode with 16 groups of three .... be ready for many gijóns :thumbsdown:
    also some teams going home before the others played their first match isn‘t smart either o_O

this was probably the most idiotic decision in history of FIFA and death of world cup as we know it, on the top of having two worst hosts ever in a row! infantino the greedy godfather of football will go into history as its grim reaper as well!

Rickdog and jagum repped this.
  15. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    H/t to @sidspaceman for the find: reports are that FIFA have failed to find a suitable hosting partner for Qatar, so the next World Cup will stay at 32 teams.

Pipiolo, HomietheClown, BocaFan and 3 others repped this.
  16. flem16

flem16 Rainmaker

Jan 9, 2005
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct, 2022 will remain at 32 teams. I'm glad sanity prevailed on this one. One more cycle of the traditional qualifying format

Pipiolo, jagum and Paul Calixte repped this.
  17. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Pipiolo and HomietheClown repped this.
  18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    WOOHOO!

Still wouldn't be caught dead going to Qatar, but at least the product will make for great television!

Steve Page repped this.
  19. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's good... we get one last World Cup in the classic 32-team format. Also we get the "compact" World Cup that was promised before.. I'm looking forward to being able to attend a game in the morning, then take the metro and attend another in the afternoon....

Pipiolo repped this.
  20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Doubt there would be any morning matches since that would work against the European TV market. Plus its just not common practice to have kickoffs before 12 noon.

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, it will deteriorate the quality. Its just a fact that the 8th best team in AFC isn't as good as the 4th.

But in any case, my (and most others) issue with the 48 team WC is the awful format that comes with it.

22. HandofAbel

HandofAbel Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jun 19, 2017
    eu estou aqui
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well, at least we get one more relatively pure tournament, even though said tournament will be played in December...

BocaFan repped this.
  23. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Qatar is dull but Bahrain and the Emirates are easy to reach and a lot more happening.

24. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No band-aids here :cool:

Ideally, it should have always been a 32 team tournament, since the very first one in 1930. That said, Spencer and Best would most likely not have played a WC even with an expanded format.

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Happening like Las Vegas is "happening"? Pretty low bar we're setting....

Pipiolo repped this.