World Cup Every 3 Years?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by F.L.I.P., Jun 11, 2014.

1. F.L.I.P.

F.L.I.P. Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Or maybe even 2 years? What do you guys think about that wild idea?

2. magicpies

magicpies New Member

May 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Why? It would become less of a spectacle. What makes the World Cup special is that it only occurs every 4 years and takes a lot of preparing.

Boloni86 and Unak78 repped this.
  3. F.L.I.P.

F.L.I.P. Member

Apr 26, 2005
    I think having it every 3 years is a nice compromise between having it every two years and four years.

4. LukeAustralia

LukeAustralia New Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Club:
    Coritiba FBC
    It's a perfect compromise between two and four years ;)

I'm happy with every 4 years. Odd numbers scare me.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Boloni86 repped this.
  5. 00Kevin

00Kevin Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    SoCal
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the world cup and can't get enough, for souly the sake of my own enjoyment me it's the more frequent the better

6. HelloDay

HelloDay Member

Jun 12, 2014
    There will be Olympic Games and World Cup at the same time every 12 years. This will make the schedule too tight for the organizers and sponsors.

7. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to think this was a fallacy but after realizing I'm going to have to wait four years in another month's time I think making it more frequent would be good.

8. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

I think the World Cup should be every PI years. Or better, why not have World Cups only in prime numbers? :D

9. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Football calendar is already too congested IMO. A lot of that problem is at club level, but I think international soccer doesn't help either. For example I think African Cup of Nations and CONCACAF Gold Cup should also go to 4 years instead of 2.

And this is why I think a WC should stay at 4 years. It allows space for the individual confederations to have their own cups which allows teams that normally can't qualify to a WC to enjoy a major tournament.

10. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CONCACAF started World Cup Qualifying on June 15, 2011 and AFC started on June 29, 2011. If the World Cup was every 3 years there could be qualifiers for hypothetical World Cup 2017 before and/or during World Cup 2014. Obviously qualifiers can't start until the confederations know how many World Cup spots they have, which can be impacted by the previous World Cup.