World Cup Darkhorses

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by CRISTIANO_RONALDO_7, Feb 27, 2006.

1. CRISTIANO_RONALDO_7

CRISTIANO_RONALDO_7 New Member

Mar 20, 2005
    TORONTO
    Give your opinion on World Cup Darkhorses. Here's who I think:

1.Switzerland--A very solid team that came out of that dreadfully hard WCQ division consisting of France, Israel and Ireland. These guy's could cause some serious damage.

2.Serbia and Montenegro--A rock solid defence can take you far, and these guy's are indeed a rock solid defrence.

3.Sweden--Very balanced attack, and a very big team (size), They played great football and where unfortunate to lose against Croatia in the WCQ's.

4.U.S.A--this American team will be the best they have ever sent to a World Cup, a very balanced team that could cause havoc for any team.

what do you guy's think?

2. Bruzza

Bruzza New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    Your backyard
    All those teams will not win the World Cup, i can only see them getting as far as the Quarter Finals, well thats the US and Sweden. Switzerland have not fully impressed me, even with their good performances against France etc in the qualifying. SCG havent impressed me either, i find them too inconsistant, yet maybe a world cup spot will propel them to shock alot of people?

3. auf Amerika

auf Amerika Member

Jul 11, 2004
    1. Serbia & Montenegro - awesome defense and if they score watch out. I think they'll surprise and progress out of their group of Death.

2. Croatia - Just think if Yugoslavia was still around how good they would be. Same as Serbia: great defense and if they start scoring watchout. Their group is also soft.

3. Cote d'Ivoire - could be like Cameroon in 1990. They've got loads of talent and spirit.

4. Ukraine - Shevchenko could guide them deep and they are in a soft group.

The U.S., Sweden, and Switzerland are all decent teams, but not darkhorse material in my opinion... I just think they will be a darkhorse, although if they do well they'll be the darkhorse team.

4. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar
    yeah the US, and Sweeden arent dark horse teams.

5. King-James

King-James New Member

May 27, 2005
    I wouldn't call the US a darkhorse either, just because our defense isn't good enough. I don't see our style being the type that can win a World Cup.
    Now even if we only had the talent we do have, but our strengths were more on the defensive side than they are, then maybe I'd think about the darkhorse possibility.

When looking at darkhorses I have to think that good team defense will be a must (definetly moreso than 2002).

6. Timbers_Roberto

Timbers_Roberto New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    I agree with these choices and would add Poland. Don't think the Poles will win it all, but they could make some noise.

7. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Yes. They don't have a lot of credit right now, but I guess that's because of the way they qualified. But I predict they will surprise everyone and win the group.

8. Amerikaki

Amerikaki Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Queens
    Switzerland is a good team.

I think that Ireland or Israel could've easily qualified in their place - or even in France's place as it was a very tight group but they shouldn't be taken lightly.

9. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    very good, I would throw ukraine in there to go with the eastern european semifinalist vibe.

Also don't be suprised to see the costa ricans get to the round of 16 or the quarterfinals.

10. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sweden is a definite dark horse and Serbia is another. As Yugoslavia, there were lots of Serbian stars as well as Croatian stars. Sweden have some quality players, played well at Euro 2004 and they were unlucky to lose against Holland in the quarter-finals.

Croatia could be another possible choice but Australia might surprise and go through to the second round. The Socceroos are capable of pulling the upset.

11. chec

chec Member

Feb 9, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Trinidad and Tobago
    T&T all the way :D

12. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Other than the USA winning it all, nothing would make me happier! The World Cup version of Greece at the Euros only much bigger...:)

13. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Actual darkhorses?

1. Australia: Great coach, and a lot of players on good Euro teams. Japan and Croatia shouldn't be that tough.

2. Tunisia: Ukraine are overrated and rely on one player more than any other team. They could easily get past them for second place in the group.

3. Paraguay: Sweden isn't a lock to advance, and if they finished second they would have a seemingly weak German team to face in the round of 16.

14. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    France were bad throught the majority of qualifying, Ireland were unsettled, Israel surprised, and in the playoff Turkey imploded. I would rank the Swiss as worst Euro, but with the group they are in they will certainly still have a chance, and with Group H (just as bad) in second round could get to quarters.

15. Sagy

Sagy Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Based on the draw (not ability) I would go with:
    1. Ukraine - decent team, great draw, a relatively easy round of 16 game.
    2. Switzerland - One of the weaker UEFA teams, got the draw of a life time.
    3. Australia - Japan and Croatia are beatable, playing Brazil in the 2nd game might be an advantage. A surprise win over group E winner (even if it's in PKs) can see them to going all the way to the 1/2 finals.
    4. Serbia and Montenegro - excellent defence, if they can make it out of the G.O.D (a big if), they will not be a big underdog in the 1/8 or 1/4 finals.
    Realistically, I don't see any of these teams pulling a Korea (going to the 1/2) or even a USA (losing in the 1/4 to a finalist).

16. bdgvillager

bdgvillager New Member

Mar 12, 2006
    China
    Sweden?You cannot consider it as a week team to be a dark horse.in fact,Sweden is very strong.

17. ready19

ready19 Red Card

Mar 13, 2006
    czeh republic is gonna be a power to recognize.

18. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004

I don't know, IMO this team is weaker than the Euro 2004 one, where Nedved was younger and playing better, and guys like Poborsky and Baros had brilliant tournaments. It is going to be very hard for them to reach the heights they did at the Euros.

19. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    Portugal, they choked in 2002 while in a weak group. Have only made it past the group phase in 1966.

20. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

lol i think you should coin that phrase :D

21. SLBCarlos

SLBCarlos New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Newark NJ USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Dark horses

i have to say Servia & Montenegro - their not knew, as many ppl would think, just their country name changed from yugoslavia to servia&Montenegro.
    so their style and players and way of play, are still the same, just the name changed.

ukraine - its their first time, but they got good players like shevchenko. that can make a difference.

Cote d'Ivoire - they are the best african team and have good quality players but their in the group of death with servia, holland and argentina. so holland and argentina are group favorites but dont be surprised if one of them gets knocked out in the group stage and servia or cote d'ivoire go to the next round.

Then theres teams like australia that may go through instead of croatia.

I Believe that USA will go through also and Czech Rep or italy will be eliminated.

I think if Brazil wins the world cup again the tournement is going to lose interest because its always the same team in the final and wining. just because of that, not because i dont like brazil. but it would be good to have 2 new teams in the final and not always the same ones. if greece won the euro2004 any team can make it to the final.

22. Da Shah

Da Shah New Member

Feb 12, 2006

What are you talking about fool?

Yugoslavia used to consist of Croatia and Slovenia before they got their independence. Ever hear of that big Balkan war in the 90's? :rolleyes:

23. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he is sort of right about them being pretty close to the same team.

24. Delerium redded

Delerium redded Red Card

Mar 6, 2006
    PHX, AZ
  25. bsas

bsas Member

May 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't know. On paper, Portugal has a hell of a team. Players like Quaresma, Deco, CRonaldo can really make a difference. They should easily come out of their group, and then playing against a stronger team, it would just be 50/50 chances.